HELP - Removed Finds

kenneth050881

Hi All,

I need some assistance from someone more experienced than myself at Geocaching.

I logged a find in September at a cache in Ireland where I am from after travelling back from where I live in Australia. This week the CO has deleted my find because he couldn't see my name in the log book which I know I signed.

This to me is wrong and I have emailed him to say the same with detailed descriptions of the find and my experiences in where I found the cache.

Is he within his rights and do I have any right to contact anyone about this? If so does anyone have any details?

Ken

Yes cache owners have both the right and obligation to delete "bogus" logs. Having said that - if you can describe the container and location in an email - I would think the owner should allow it. If not - you can contact a reviewer but give the guy a chance to respond. I'd relog it as a find after sending a good description to the owner.

....and what do you do if the cache is muggled and you have no log book to check? Delete everyones find just in case they're bogus?

....and what if a page of the logbook falls out and blows away the next time the cache is opened? More finds to delete?

It's ideal that the online logs are accurate, but I'd rather see a bogus online log that a legit find get deleted. I hope the OP gets his find back.

Is he within his rights and do I have any right to contact anyone about this? If so does anyone have any details?

If the cache owner didn't find your name on the cache log, then they can delete it for being a "bogus" log. You can appeal that deletion to Groundspeak, if you want.

Keep in mind some advice that Groundspeak offers, however:

We know that sometimes this issue can be contentious. If the other party is being stubborn, ask yourself, "Is this dispute really worth my time?" Try being the bigger person and conceding the point. You may discover that you feel better for doing so. At the very least, it will put the matter quickly behind you.

Since you've already emailed him, I would re-log it under the September date. If he deletes it again, you'll have to involve the reviewer who published it.

As someone else stated a reviewer doesn't have the power to reinstate a log. Escalating a dispute should be done by sending email to contact@Groundspeak.com. Before doing that however, there are a couple of things you might want to check. Make sure that you logged the cache that you actually found. The proximity guidelines are in place to prevent that from happening but sometimes it happens. Check the cache listing on the cache you logged and look at some of the past logs. If you see something like "I searched everywhere where the cache could be and couldn't find it. It must be missing so I left container with a blank log sheet [after signing their name, of course] so that the next person will have something to find." That happens all too often, and it some cases that cache wasn't missing at all, and subsequent finder end up finding the "replacement cache", sign the log sheet and think that they found the actual cache (why wouldn't they). Then the owner checks on their cache (where they actually hid it) and discovers that some of the online logs don't match up with the names on the log sheet. Even if that happened, hopefully the CO won't be a jerk about it and allow you to repost a found it log instead of forcing you to travel half way around the world to find the "real" cache.

....and what do you do if the cache is muggled and you have no log book to check? Delete everyones find just in case they're bogus?

....and what if a page of the logbook falls out and blows away the next time the cache is opened? More finds to delete?

It's ideal that the online logs are accurate, but I'd rather see a bogus online log that a legit find get deleted. I hope the OP gets his find back.

I'm a firm believer that if you are going to be deleting logs, you should do it expediently. I believe that four months after the fact is just plain wrong, especially if the log in illegible.

How was the logbook ?

multible paged book ?

numbered pages ?

can a CO see if one page is missing ?

one sheet log ? on one whole piece ?

a CO will go out and check caches once in a while,

so some delay can be seen,

also if the CO need to perform service or if he see a special log

like a find from very far, and the person did not find any other caches in this area ?

did you find jus this one cache ?

if a ONE cache find, in a very special location, located far away

and you did not find any other caches near it,

TAKE PICTURES OF YOU AND THE CACHE !!

good to keep, in case a dispute will take place later.

as a cache finder: does one measly find make that much of a difference?

Sure, if it was a find in another Country.

To the OP...

If the fact that you are from another Country somehow got the CO in a twist (you know that "greetings from xxxxxxx" thing...), maybe showing him you found one other in the same Month nearby would help. and explaining the visiting relatives wouldn't hurt. Maybe he's been tricked before...

- But I have to agree with others. Four Months is too long. Contact contact@ if you don't come to an agreement.