Any chance for a unified Geocaching/Waymarking app?

Nos402

I'm no programmer, so this may be way more complicated than I know, but it seemed to me that enabling the current Geocaching app to also be able to handle Waymarking wouldn't be too terribly hard. I personally would prefer a unified app with different sections or something like that than two separate apps. Of course, any app would be great!

Thanks!

(Wasn't sure which forum was the most appropriate)

Edited by Nos402

I have talked to a number of geocachers who say that they don't visit waymarks because the icons don't show up along with geocaches. If the waymarks were included with caches they'd love to include them in hunts but it's too much of a hassle otherwise. Waymarking is a great way to find historical areas when you visit. Why would you remove virtuals then not include waymarks on geocaching apps and maps? They are sadly neglected by cachers, most of whom have a love of history, because Groundspeak has neglected to make them easier to locate.

If the waymarks were included with caches they'd love to include them in hunts but it's too much of a hassle otherwise.

It takes about 2 seconds to find nearest waymarks from a geocache page. If that's too much of a hassle for geocachers, so be it.

The OP was about the geocaching app. If you're sitting at your desk or on a laptop, then yes - it takes 2 seconds. If you're out in the field hunting caches with a smart phone or a GPS with a GPX file, it's not quite that easy.

If the waymarks were included with caches they'd love to include them in hunts but it's too much of a hassle otherwise.

It takes about 2 seconds to find nearest waymarks from a geocache page. If that's too much of a hassle for geocachers, so be it.

The OP was about the geocaching app. If you're sitting at your desk or on a laptop, then yes - it takes 2 seconds. If you're out in the field hunting caches with a smart phone or a GPS with a GPX file, it's not quite that easy.

First, your quote at the bottom is hilarious. Secondly, I've been looking at a geocache page (pretty vague, but I assume you both meant a cache description page) and I can't find anything that links or mentions waymarks.

First, your quote at the bottom is hilarious. Secondly, I've been looking at a geocache page (pretty vague, but I assume you both meant a cache description page) and I can't find anything that links or mentions waymarks.

Find...

...other caches hidden or found by this user

...nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found

...all nearby caches, that I haven't found

...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com

...all nearby benchmarks

Edited by Bear and Ragged