Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
michael80l

Passing the test

I need some help i failed the ham test i got 26 out of the 35 or so question right so i failed i studied for over 3months and i am so icon_mad.gif that i failed that test my friend got flying colors on that (beep) thing and i wanna know what i can do to pass it

I have done 3 of them

Go to QRZ Practice Tests. All the same questions as the real exam and you can take it as many times as you want. I did them several times a day for 2 weeks and had no problem passing the tech exam, only missed one. Keep trying the practice exams till you pass consistently.

"I thought you said this was a quick find!" - My wife

I tried for my extra FOUR times before I passsed it. When I went to do the Tech class I had to take the Novice questions too, I had to take TWO test that day to get my Tech NO-Code (03/08/99). Passed one faild the other. My Wife passed both and she is not letting me live it down. icon_smile.gif

Stay at it and dont give up. When I went for my general I thought the CODE would be a big barrier, it was but I worked on it EVERY SINGLE DAY and now I hold the highest class license you can get. I may be only a 5wpm extra but I am working on upping my speed. Now you don't have to go as far as I did, but what I am trying to say is that if I can dp it ANYONE can......

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.w6hy.org

KF6VFH

TOYOTA To Often Yuppies Overprice This Auto

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:My Wife passed both and she is not letting me live it down. icon_smile.gif

My wife and my best friend took the tech the same session. (Sept 1988). I was watching through the window, just to see how much stress my wife was having. I was an advanced then. Well, in 8 minutes she got up and turned in her papers. I thought she gave up. She got a 91.

40 minutes after the start, my friend came out. Now, understand, we were both Air Defense electronics repairmen in the Army. He got a 91.

After that day, I would always tell him... "You are as good a tech as my wife is, but she is 5 times quicker than you are."

However, she is still a tech, he is now advanced.

All in fun of course.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

It was a time when they changing this over that my wife and I sneaked into the tech spot. I think the teast is easier now than it is was when we took it. After a year or so as a tech the geberal etst came up. My wife and I both studied for it, pounded on the code, went to take the test and we passed the written. The code was another story. I had failed (or did I). One of the VE's went over my test with a fine tooth comb and found 25 caracters in a row. The rest of the test was nothing but chicken scratchings But there was a one full minute of solid copy. NOW THE WIFE ON THE OTHER HAND....... Having a hard time getting here to try it again. Unfortunately her time had expired to take it the without also taking the written again too.

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.w6hy.org

KF6VFH

TOYOTA To Often Yuppies Overprice This Auto

Ok, any suggestions for some good study material for passing the Tech test? Took the practice test just "to see" (and being a complete newbie) and got a 60% icon_eek.gif so I figure there is some hope for me... icon_smile.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

The ARRL study materials worked for me (http://www.remote.arrl.org/catalog/lm/). Not to brag or anything, but I studied "Now You're Talking" and "The ARRL General Class License Manual" and used the G4FON Koch Code Trainer for about a month and a half, then went in and took Elements 1, 2 & 3 to get my General. Okay, okay, I am bragging icon_biggrin.gif, but anyway, ARRL's books are good at teaching you the test without it feeling like that's all they're teaching you.

I've heard good things about other books as well, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

Good luck!

-----

~ Boyd

KG4YQS

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

AARS website is out of stock, new edition coming out next month so I found them locally.

Time to hit the books! icon_smile.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif