anti-skirt lifter?

Nashfamfun

How it was used in context would help...

Guessing that it would be a person that doesn't like LPC's -- Lamp Post Caches.

Two of your four caches found appear to have been LPC's. Used to be there was no such thing. Quite a few cachers don't care for them, various reasons... originality, open parking lots, muggles, etc., etc.

Sometimes is seems that is what newer cachers find mostly and they equate that to how it's done, so the proliferation continues...

You stumped me...

I finally had to google "anti skirt lifter" and a hide in your State came up.

Further research didn't come up with anything, even after the dozens of you tube videos on the subject.

Had to explain to CJ (brought in coffee) that this was indeed research and I don't know why fans would be used in cache hides...

I think it may be a magnetic "thing" attached to the pole, but not necessarily under the skirt.

Edited by cerberus1

Quite a few cachers don't care for them, various reasons... originality, open parking lots, muggles,...

My problems with them:

1 - They're in a parking lot! This usually means a shopping center or restaurant or office park or mall. To me, the fun is in the search...and also in the surroundings and what you can see if you are looking closely. Not much to see where asphalt and metal poles are concerned. Once in a while the poles are in a more interesting area - a park, a scenic overlook or picturesque setting. Those are at least worth going to.

2 - The nature of the hiding spot requires them to be smaller (i.e., not much room for swag or trackables...if any). The containers themselves also, in my experience, more often than not are medicine bottles or key-hides and leak like crazy. Logs tend to be damp or wet. Yeah, there's a "skirt" covering it...but those things are only meant to cover the ugly bolted connections at the pole base, not provide a weatherproof shelter.

3 - Noisy as heck to lift those skirts.

4 - Not much of a challenge. You drive into a parking lot and, at that point, there is already about 98% chance of it being a skirt-hide. At that point, all you have to do is get within 100 feet of the spot and you already know where the cache is. Where's the challenge in that?

That being said...I'm not ANTI LPC. I'm just not terribly impressed by 90% of them. The other 10% are at least in an interesting location.

Edited by J Grouchy

Quite a few cachers don't care for them, various reasons... originality, open parking lots, muggles,...

My problems with them:

1 - They're in a parking lot! This usually means a shopping center or restaurant or office park or mall. To me, the fun is in the search...and also in the surroundings and what you can see if you are looking closely. Not much to see where asphalt and metal poles are concerned. Once in a while the poles are in a more interesting area - a park, a scenic overlook or picturesque setting. Those are at least worth going to.

2 - The nature of the hiding spot requires them to be smaller (i.e., not much room for swag or trackables...if any). The containers themselves also, in my experience, more often than not are medicine bottles or key-hides and leak like crazy. Logs tend to be damp or wet. Yeah, there's a "skirt" covering it...but those things are only meant to cover the ugly bolted connections at the pole base, not provide a weatherproof shelter.

4 - Not much of a challenge. You drive into a parking lot and, at that point, there is already about 98% chance of it being a skirt-hide. At that point, all you have to do is get within 100 feet of the spot and you already know where the cache is. Where's the challenge in that?

That being said...I'm not ANTI LPC. I'm just not terribly impressed by 90% of them. The other 10% are at least in an interesting location.

I'll add to this list that there's a 99.98% chance that nobody received permission to place that particular film can under than particular lamp skirt.

My problems with them:

I'll add to this list that there's a 99.98% chance that nobody received permission to place that particular film can under than particular lamp skirt.

And to add to that, even if explicit permission is obtained, the fact that permission was obtain is rarely shared with every business owner and employee of those business which share the parking lot. Even if that was done, it's in such a public location, the chance that any random customer of any of the businesses there is going to see someone fiddling with the lamp post, and think it suspicious enough to call the police is relatively high.

I rencently found a Skirt Lifter that I actually liked. It was in a park that has no Lamp Poles. Lots of wooded area around several small lakes/ponds, a small playground and lots of picnic areas. But right by the entrance acorss from the gate is a picnic table, info board and a flag pole. I have to admit I searched quite abit before I noticed the skirt on the bottom of the flag pole and there it was. I got a real kick out of a skirt lifter in the woods.