Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest n1niq

Geocaching and APRS

Guest n1niq

Has anyone thought of hunting for a cache while carrying an APRS tracker on them?

Guest gmagers

Forgive my intelligence, or lack thereof, but what is an APRS?

------------------

"Because I said SO"

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by gmagers:

APRS stands for Automatic Packet Reporting System.

Simply put, it's a protocol which allows stations to beacon their location through a transceiver and have it displayed on someone elses PC screen.

The reference to "APRS Tracker" I think was meant to mean the fact that if you connect a GPS receiver to either a radio with a built in Terminal Node Controller (TNC), which also is able of converting the NMEA output from the GPSr to APRS protocol, then you can be seen as you travel towards the cache.

There are other ways of beaconing an APRS compatable signal, such as MicE or Tiny Tracker, or you can use a 'normal' transceiver and TNC set up, along with an interface for the GPSr (some modern TNCs have GPSr inputs).

Hope this explains what I think was meant.

icon_smile.gif

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by gmagers:

APRS stands for Automatic Packet Reporting System.

Simply put, it's a protocol which allows stations to beacon their location through a transceiver and have it displayed on someone elses PC screen.

The reference to "APRS Tracker" I think was meant to mean the fact that if you connect a GPS receiver to either a radio with a built in Terminal Node Controller (TNC), which also is able of converting the NMEA output from the GPSr to APRS protocol, then you can be seen as you travel towards the cache.

There are other ways of beaconing an APRS compatable signal, such as MicE or Tiny Tracker, or you can use a 'normal' transceiver and TNC set up, along with an interface for the GPSr (some modern TNCs have GPSr inputs).

Hope this explains what I think was meant.

icon_smile.gif

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest n1niq

Thanks Morseman. That is what I meant. I thought with the previous posts about APRS everyone was in tune.

BTW: There is another thread in this subject area with more discussion on this.

Chris