Galaxy Nexus

smalldar

I've used a Galaxy Nexus for about six months. For the most part, it works very well for Geocaching (I use NeonGeo or the Groundspeak app). I don't find it jumpy so much as occasionally wildly inaccurate. Sometimes the phone simply refuses to lock on to satellites. Sometimes it is tens of feet off even when locked on to several sats. This seems to be typical of Samsung phones, from what I have read. I am in the habit of launching the GPS Status app and letting it get a lock before going on adventures. GPS Status supposedly downloads some assistance data to improve lock speed and accuracy.

As for making it vibrate when near a cache, that would depend on the app. I don't recall seeing such a feature on the apps I've tried.

I'm curious about the Nexus 4. Maybe LG puts more effort into the GPS subsystem than Samsung.

Edited by JJnTJ

I've used a Galaxy Nexus for about six months. For the most part, it works very well for Geocaching (I use NeonGeo or the Groundspeak app). I don't find it jumpy so much as occasionally wildly inaccurate. Sometimes the phone simply refuses to lock on to satellites. Sometimes it is tens of feet off even when locked on to several sats. This seems to be typical of Samsung phones, from what I have read. I am in the habit of launching the GPS Status app and letting it get a lock before going on adventures. GPS Status supposedly downloads some assistance data to improve lock speed and accuracy.

As for making it vibrate when near a cache, that would depend on the app. I don't recall seeing such a feature on the apps I've tried.

I'm curious about the Nexus 4. Maybe LG puts more effort into the GPS subsystem than Samsung.

I have had an LG (Optimus 7), and I can tell you that all the sensors were horrible. GPS, Compass, Acceloromiter, all bad. I don't know if this is normal for LG, but I am unwilling to risk 3years of phone hell again. I am sticking with Samsung. I have the Skyrocket HD. It's GPS is very good. I am quite impressed. As for the "wildly off" issue, I have never seen that whith GPS lock.

I have used CacheSense with a Blackberry, HTC EVO and a Samsung Galaxy S3. I have also tried Neongeo and C:geo on the Android phones. All of them were acceptably accurate. Biggest mistake I see with smartphone users is leaving WiFi on while caching. When I go out, I make sure everything is turned off except 3G/4G and GPS.