Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gloom

PDX hams/cachers

Just wanted to get an idea of how many people in the pdx area are Hams. Please vote in the 'poll' so I can keep a count.

Thanks!

Gloom (KD7TGL, for now)

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

It seems like there has been a little burst of PDX cachers getting their ham licenses these past few months. Which is a good thing! icon_biggrin.gif Do we have any *seasoned* hams caching around here?

- waynem

Hmmm... only one reply so far. Not as many as I had hoped.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Well Here is reply #2. I have been a ham for almost 20 yrs. I have been using GPS devices for about 6 yrs (or so). Glad to see that there is a forum just for the hams.

Tovish

My vanity was approved.... W7MVG

----

Nice to hear from you as well, Mike!

All is well with me and mine. We've got the house on the market and plan on heading south to the Phoenix area sometime in the next year. Of course this depends on how tough it is to find work there.

On the bright side, it's a whole new crop of geocaches to hunt! icon_smile.gif

Maybe I'll hear you on the air sometime before I go.

Matt

K7MTO

-

N7YUV here - ham since 92 (used for field seismology when I first got it).

I have never used it for caching, but I always carry it with me in the trunk and take it with me for long hikes or backpacking trips.

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

Matt

K7MTO

-

I didn't realize you had received a vanity call sign. Have been listening for you on the air. Will start listening for your new call.

- Wayne KD7SWM

A group of us from my offroad list tested and were granted our licenses together. This meant we had sequential callsigns (KD7TGE - KD7TGM) which instantly made things very confusing. A few of us got vanities to alleviate the confusion somewhat. I just used my initials since many folks know me that way from various lists, etc.

With only a handheld (so far) I typically monitor the Scholls (146.900) and South Saddle (147.320) 2m repeaters during my commute (6:30-7:00 and 4:00 - 4:30), then sporadically monitor from home until the wife complains about all the noise icon_smile.gif

I'll usually announce myself as "mobile and monitoring" during commute time and just "monitoring" when at home. I'll listen for you too.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

I finally passed my code exam and extra exams tonight. Whoooo hoo.

If anyone in the PDX/willamette vally area needs a set of morse code tapes, i plan on leaving them in a local cache.

Nate

KD7THZ/AE

I have the G4FON software loaded but haven't had time lately to practice with it. The tapes might be handy. Let us know where you put them and maybe I'll try and grab them, then replace them elsewhere when done.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:
Originally posted by nmartin:

i plan on leaving them in a local cache.

quote:

maybe I'll try and grab them

Not if I grab them first Matt! icon_wink.gif

Mike - W7MVG

----

quote:

I have the G4FON software loaded ....

I'll put in a plug for the G4FON software here. That's what I practiced with before I passed my Tech and General. I spent about 4 weeks with it at a pretty leisurely pace, and I couldn't say I was relaxed at the exam, but I came close to copying 100%. It's a good trainer. I know there are other good training tools out there too, but I can recommend this one.

Oh, and congrats to Nate KD7THZ/AE icon_cool.gif from me also on the upgrade to extra!

- Wayne KD7SWM

Given the frequency (no pun intended) at which I manage to get out and cache these days, you likely *will* get to them first icon_smile.gif

No worries, though, as G4FON is pretty good and I'm not in any hurry to take my Extra and code tests (but I plan to within the year to avoid retaking the General exam).

-----

Matt

K7MTO

Left the tapes in the cache Tigard vs. Dolan (GC98ff). Good luck. Plan on about 1 hour for this easy multi waypoint cache.

Nate

KD7THZ

quote:
Originally posted by nmartin:

Left the tapes in the cache Tigard vs. Dolan (GC98ff).

Ooohh... good thing I've already done that one and it's only a half mile from work! But since I don't have much time to either cache or study for the upgrade I think I'll leave them for someone else who might be able to use them.

Unless no one has taken them in the next couple of weeks. Then I'll go snag them. icon_razz.gif

Gloom

----

My vanity call sign sign was approved -- K7RKT.

I thought it was pretty cool this one was available since I mostly use my license for high power rocketry related stuff!