Am I the only one?

DOCSpanky

I clear out all Waypoints, and geocache logs from my GPS unit after everyday of searching. Half the fun for me is in planning. I know all my visits are technically tracked here on the site but I have found great pleasure in keeping paper logs in the form of the "Write it down" journal series. I also upload all my photos from each day in a geocaching folder by date. Am I the only one?

I clear out all waypoints and logs from my GPS every night as well when I'm logging my finds online. I used to write down on papaer all the caches I found each day, but have not been doing that since my GPS now does 'Field Notes'. I also have a geocaching/hiking folder (on my pc and external hd) and keep a copy of every picture (and more) that is in my gallery.

I currently do not have any sort of list of all my finds backed up. If, God forbid, the website crashed hardcore and lost all the data, I would have no way of knowing which caches I've found and which I haven't except by memory.

Simpjkee, may I recommend since you are a premium member to download a my finds query. It will give you every find you have had on geocaching in a gpx form and if GC ever did go down, you would have a copy of the finds. I run a weekly pocket query of the closest caches to my house and each weekend, I'll delete out the old gpx files and replace it with a fresh pocket query.

I clear out all Waypoints, and geocache logs from my GPS unit after everyday of searching. Half the fun for me is in planning. I know all my visits are technically tracked here on the site but I have found great pleasure in keeping paper logs in the form of the "Write it down" journal series. I also upload all my photos from each day in a geocaching folder by date. Am I the only one?

It would be a shame if those paper journals include interesting thoughts about your finds that the COs will never see. A well planned hide deserves more than a few words every once in awhile.

Simpjkee, may I recommend since you are a premium member to download a my finds query. It will give you every find you have had on geocaching in a gpx form and if GC ever did go down, you would have a copy of the finds. I run a weekly pocket query of the closest caches to my house and each weekend, I'll delete out the old gpx files and replace it with a fresh pocket query.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to run it a lot more when I needed it to input in to another program for stats. Now that the profiles have stats, I don't run it as much. I suppose having a back up copy of all my finds would be a good reason to get back in the habit of running it regularly.

I use GSAK too. I have all kinds of notes stored in my GSAK database...databases. Lot of the spoiler info that I won't post in my online log is stored in GSAK. My GPS also does field notes so that all goes into the GSAK data base as well.

I really like how easy it is to plan a day or a trip on GSAK and set everything up in a separate database so I can refresh the logs and load to my GPS. It has been especially handy on trips, I can break the trip down into days and load the caches we want to hit each day. Recently we went on a trip to do a series so I had the trip to our hotel, caching on the way to the series, the series, and the trip home set in different databases. A quick break and a few minutes with the laptop and we were set for each part. Files were also setup from GSAK to load into the Nuvi so we could navigate to each location. We also have GDAK loaded on the E-tablet so all the databases are ready to go and we can pull up the caches and my wife reads the description on the larger screen on the way to each cache. That comes in especially handy for an EC or Virtual. The other thing I do with the E-tablet is upload an Excel file (generated by GSAK) with the list of caches we plan to hit, GC code, name, and type with a spot to put in notes. At a minimum we put in the notes "SL" so we know where we are on the list but it is quick and easy to make TB notes or anything else and when I go to log the caches later I have it with me to help me with our logs.

But just because we use two handheld GPS's, one vehicle GPS, an E-tablet and a smart phone (GDAK is on that too) doesn't mean we are addicted...just mildly dedicated.

We share as much as possible in our gallery, and in our logs,

and write as little as possible in the paper logs in the caches,

some caches with low D rating and high T rating, directly invite to post pictures

so people can share the fun, those we love to do, and we try to be creative,

maybe even solve it in a compleetly different way for the challenge.

But all the super cool spoilers for normal caches, we keep private,

some we share on facebook groups or other forums, with CO permission,

and with no link or reffence to the actual cache.

It sounds like a nice idea, but frankly there's no way I have enough time to follow through on all that prep and subsequent follow-up. PhDs are a bit of a time sink. <_<

I do have a few "my finds" logs from getting them on My Caching Stats, that's the only backup I've really got. To be honest if that's not enough and in its subsequent backups then frankly my life will be in a point where it's the least of my worries thinking about what all I'd be missing!

I clear the waypoint from the GPSr after finding the hide.

We place any pics in a folder, but no longer bother with saving logs.

We do save coords to spots we'd revisit, usually those with a good hike with a nice view, or future hunting/fishing possibilties.

- But not really interested in a "my finds" query.

It sounds like a nice idea, but frankly there's no way I have enough time to follow through on all that prep and subsequent follow-up. PhDs are a bit of a time sink. <_<

I do have a few "my finds" logs from getting them on My Caching Stats, that's the only backup I've really got. To be honest if that's not enough and in its subsequent backups then frankly my life will be in a point where it's the least of my worries thinking about what all I'd be missing!

BAHAHAHA..... College days behind. But yes, I remember yearning for time to go somewhere/anywhere ALONE!