Getting GPS Coordinates from site description

4evrCking

Hi,

I have just bought a GPS and wanted to try Geocaching.

I found this site, entered in my postal code and got a list of sites close to home. I wanted to try to use my GPS to find an easy site close by.

I found a geocache close to home that I recognize so I thought I'd work with that to get familiar with my GPS.

What I wanted to do was to get the GPS coordinates from the item I chose from the list on this site. However, I clicked on everything I could (not knowing any better) to try and view the coordinates. Nothing seems to work. I did find the "GC" code. I'm guessing that somehow using the "GC" code will allow me to get the coordinates.

Can anyone tell me how I can find the coordinates to enter into my GPS?

Thanks for your help.

Wayne Miller

Hi,

I have a new Garmiin Oregon 450. If I can send the coordinates directly to the GPS, I don't know how to do it.

My original thought was that I was able to just pull up the site listing and then view the coordinates - I can not seem to be able to view listing coordinates.

I have gone through the tutorials, but I can not seem to find this specific information.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller

Which GPS have you?

Most will allow you to send the info from the site to the GPS, but without knowing what GPS it's a bit hard.... :)

Create a folder on your computer, titled something like "Geocache loc files".

Download GPSBabel for free:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Go to the cache page of the cache you want to search for.

Click on the box that says "LOC waypoint file". Save that in your "geocache loc files" folder.

Connect your gps to the computer.

Open GPSBabel.

Click "File Name".

Find the geocache, and open it.

Click on "apply" at the bottom.

The geocache info is now transferred to your gps.

That's what I do for each cache we want to look for.

B.

Pup Patrol,

Thank you for your help. I was surprised at how quickly people helped me, and how friendly this site is.

I will try downloading the info directly to my GPS and see how it works. Thanks for the instructions.

============================

GOF and BaCall,

I also was able to find the coordinates on the screen, my mistake was that I thought the coordinated listed were for my current location, not where I was headed to. I still have a great deal to learn.

Thanks again,

Wayne Miller

Click on the box that says "LOC waypoint file". Save that in your "geocache loc files" folder.

Open GPSBabel.

Click "File Name".

B.

Edited by 4evrCking

You can see the co-ords on the cache details page but you must be logged in to see them. Note that there are separate logins for geocaching.com and this forum site, although they use the same username/password.

If at the top right of the cache page it says "Welcome Visitor", then you need to click the "Sign In" link to log in.

Once logged in, when you look at the cache page you should see a blue box in the top part of the page (just below the Difficulty & Terrain stars), in that box will be a number something like "N 50° 47.028 W 000° 57.323 " those are your co-ords.

Note you need to set your GPS to use the WGS84 datum, and co-ordinate format of DD mm.mmm.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Open GPSBabel.

Click "File Name".

B.

Edited by 4evrCking

Hello, have you connected the usb cable from the gps to the computer. Then click either send coords to GPS if it is a garmin, or one of the others if it isn't. (Sorry I don't know much about the others) But when you click send to GPS if it is a garmin it won't come up with coords on the screen, it will download them to your GPS under the name of the cache which you can click on and then it will direct you to the cache. Hope this helps a bit, sorry I couldn't go into more detail about the others.