Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oicu812

5 Mhz band ready for use on July 4.

Anybody else notice today's ARRL web site that indicates the 5 channel 5 Mhz band will be ready for use at 12 midnight July 3 local time? I take it they mean it will be ready July 4th, the midnight time seems fuzzy to me.

Also, in a rather strange twist, only USB will be allowed. No CW or PSK31 allowed. Power must be kept to under 50 watts ERP.

In my 27 years as a ham, thses rules seem a little strange to me, but I'll take them since 40 Meters is impossible on LSB at night. And yes, I have a rig that will work 5 Mhz.

Yup, saw that earlier tonight. I don't have my general yet but am going to start working on that real soon.

icon911.gif

beerchug.gif

Be careful. Notice the NTIA specs for that allocation. 2.8 Khz, not 3.0 Khz. Also, this is a window freq, not a dial freq. Learn about it before you jump in. I am not sure I want to be on those freqs.... not sure my radio meets requirements for bandwidth.

BTW, the USB only is because military stationw heavily use and will be monitoring 5 megs. They have only USB on their tactical radios.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Yes, the NTIA is keeping tight control over their spectrum. They want it channelized and using a "layman's" transmission mode so guvmint users can more easily determine when Amateurs go astray in that area.

I hope and expect that these 60m channels are a testing ground to see if NTIA can afford to cough up more spectrum as guvmint users move out of that band. If we keep our noses clean on those channels (or just stay away from them, as Mike (and others, including myself) plan to do), I think there's a good chance that we'll end up with a proper band with similar mode flexibility as we have elsewhere. Maybe more power, too.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that they mean July 3rd. For simplicity's sake, we could call it 0001 (local time) 3 July 2003.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

I'm not authorized on those freqs anyway, but it seems to me like a big eye-rolling whoop-de-doo announcment to me. What is the attraction? Am I missing something?

Channels, restrictive use, equipment mods. Is it merely being viewed as a "future potential" thing, where everyone is hoping the FCC will open up other bands if everyone plays nice?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

The ARRL asked for a 60m band allocation because there were times during emergency communications operations when neither 80 nor 40 meters were effective. They wanted an in-between allocation to give more reliable coverage.

So, even though the allocation is:

1) channelized

2) transmission mode specific

3) transmission bandwidth inhibited

4) power output restricted

5) secondary to the Government's primary use

6) possibly not conducive to DX, ragchewing, experimentation, etc.

when viewed from the perspective of the original request, it's not deserving of the contempt that's been heaped upon it from many quarters. ARRL wanted it for ARES operations under challenging circumstances. They didn't get all they asked for (150 KHz band, no limitations on transmission mode, etc.), but they (we) got something that will be useful for the original purposes cited.

In other words, those that don't like it are welcome to stay away from it. Those who are afraid of not being able to stay within the limitations placed on the allocation are welcome to stay away from it. Etc., etc. But those who are willing to work it under the stated restrictions so they can try to fill a gap may well provide emergency communcations support that they couldn't have accomplished otherwise, and may eventually earn us a bigger, traditional band allocation at some point in the future to boot.

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I'm not authorized on those freqs anyway, but it seems to me like a big eye-rolling whoop-de-doo announcment to me. What is the attraction? Am I missing something?

To answer your question gets deeply into propogation and ionization of the D and F layers. Sunlight ionizes the F layer quickly, which is high-up. Later on the D layer, which is low.

The F-layer (F-1 and F-2) when ionized produces good reliable long-distance communication on freqs above about 10 Mhz. The D-layer when ionized block freqs somewhere below 10 MHz. The 10 MHz is not a set point, it can and does vary up or down. The farther you go from this point, the more pronounced the effect is until you reach the MUF and/or LUF.

The gap between 4 MHz and 7 Mhz is quite a jump. Quite ofter the D-layer has blocked 4 Mhz, but the F-layer has 7 Mhz going too long. Having something like 5.x Mhz gives us a chance to use HF for local work in those instances. Like hurricane comms, where you need to cover 300 miles. V/UHF will not do that, but local HF will.

I hope I have kept this simple enough, yet answered your question. Let me know if you need more.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

No contempt at all. I understand (now) the why, but it still seems like a big yawn to me. That's a whole lot of hoops to jump through. I wish I had a receiver so that I could listen to everyone trying to be the first to make contact at midnight.

BTW, is it midnight Z or local?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Be careful. Notice the NTIA specs for that allocation. 2.8 Khz, not 3.0 Khz. Also, this is a window freq, not a dial freq. Learn about it before you jump in. I am not sure I want to be on those freqs.... not sure my radio meets requirements for bandwidth.

DW, you might want to check out the ARRL FAQ link, might help you with these issues. A very interesting read to say the least.

5 Mhz FAQ

Sorry Criminal, I didn't mean to imply you were showing contempt. I forget sometimes that not everyone is reading all the different things I'm reading, such as the forums at QRZ.com or eHam.net. Those are places where there are bunches of folks heaping contempt on the new allocation. I personally think they're being short-sighted.

I agree that it's nothing to get especially excited about, but it was never intended to be the "next big thing." Its purpose is solely to fill a gap between 80m and 40m that has inhibited Amateur Radio operations under certain propagation conditions. And you're right, it'll be a big pain in the patootie to modify some gear to use the new channels. But life's like that, no? "Here, I'll give you this, but you'll have to change that (and that, and that, and that) in order to be able to use it."

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

quote:
Originally posted by oicu812:

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior

DW, you might want to check out the ARRL FAQ link, might help you with these issues. A very interesting read to say the least.

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/faq.html

Yep. Read all that and more. And a long time ago too. Being a recently resigned MARS member, with 25 years in MARS, I am quite familiar with NTIA specs, window frequency, and bandwidth. My note was only meant as a caution to those contemplating operation there.

I am not sure my radio will occupy only 2.8 Khz, and I am too lazy to worry about it. So I will not operate there. The channels were really meant for emergency use and traffic anyway. If they expand the band later, or I have reason to remove the radio from the counsole for maintenance and check the bandwidth, I may change that. Like El Oso said, it ain't no big deal. Just a start. One I won't ruin for others by -ASSUMING- my radio is OK when it may not be. I amin no hurry.

To see why I am in no hurry, go look at MY STATION. I am in no hurry to take that apart, it is working great.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by oicu812:

Dang DW, I wish I could get my shack that compact. I'm still dealing with space issues..LOL http://www.mindspring.com/~cacutts/radio/ba/shack/shack.html

WOW. I love your R-390. Is it an A?

You cannot compact boat anchors. And your shack looks great.

Wife told me once to get the antiques. I can get the newest rig any time. But the antiques only come around once.

That wooden counsole on my desk almost caused a divorce. Wood is not perfect, no matter how hard I tried. icon_biggrin.gif

For you new hams, it takes YEARS to get everything, and you almost never get it perfect. I moved my shack 11 times in 20 years. I got good at it. But even today, I wish I had just......

Don't be in a hurry! You will get there... if you live that long! icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.

Yeah, I've got the R-390 non A version which is rarer than the more common R-390A. The one in the photos is built by Motorola but I also have a Collins.

Looks like you've got a R-390A. I hope you have replaced the famous Death Capacitor C-553. Otherwise you will have to replace your mechanical filters when it does go, and those filters are not cheap. That little .01 uF at only 300VDC is the only thing blocking the plate voltage to those filters. And I've seen a number of dead R-390A receivers because that little cap.

Just for anyone who is interested, the UK have had 5 "channels" allocated since last year.

You have to apply for a Notice of Variation (NoV) and the frequencies are different to the ones being allocated in the US for all but one of the channels.

If anyone is interested, I'm running a CW and PSK31 CQ on 2.290MHz (dial setting 5.2885MHz, plus 1500Hz Audio offset).

It is only active when I am sat in the shack, but since that's where I work from, and is right next to the living room and kitchen in my house, it can be running for most of the day and early evening. Unless I go out, or go to bed. HI!

For more details of the UK allocations, see UK 5MHz information

de Dave (G0DJA)

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

If anyone is interested, I'm running a CW and PSK31 CQ on 2.290MHz (dial setting 5.2885MHz, plus 1500Hz Audio offset).

Unfortunately, the US allocation is for SSB (USB) only, so we won't be joining you on PSK. This is the only frequency allocation for US hams where CW is not allowed. I have wondered about the logic, because digital modes seem very well suited to emergency communications.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

This is the only frequency allocation for US hams where CW is not allowed. I have wondered about the logic, because digital modes seem very well suited to emergency communications.

Since virtually no one in the guvmint can copy code anymore, and NTIA wants to keep such a death grip on the 5MHz portion of the spectrum, it makes perfect sense to me. They're paranoid that they might need it someday (?!) and they want to be able to shoo Hamateurs off the freq. My cynical side says that should they think they need to do that, they won't have anybody left in their employ who knows how to operate HF anymore. Oh, well...

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

quote:

Although I did edit out a couple of errors, I missed the glaringly obvious one!

2.290MHz should, of course, read 5.290MHz.

Sorry about that.

--... ...--

Morseman

I expected to hear about last night's activities in here by now. I tuned in at 0440 utc 7/3/03, all the traffic was east coast. At 0500 my central zone came alive. There was alot of static, but not as much interference as I thought there would be. Everybody was on the mandated freqs. The hams who intend to work this band will get all the kinks worked out. One admitted that his antenna tuner was doing most of the work. frog.gif

Well, I just tried it. Got KF8DX in MI, then KJ5GT in NM, then N4VB, who is an old friend in Huntsville, AL. Neat band. This might work out. All reports seem to indicate my radio is just fine for this band.

I haven't looked into modifying my rig for 60m yet. To be honest, I haven't thought about it very much. How did you do it, Mike? Did you build a transverter or something?

I haven't looked into modifying my rig for 60m yet. To be honest, I haven't thought about it very much. How did you do it, Mike? Did you build a transverter or something?

Naaaa... I have an ICOM IC-781, CLICK HERE, and I modifyed it for Army MARS years ago. In fact, I have used it on 5.2xx freqs for years before 60m became a ham allocation. But last night was the first time I tried 60m. Worked 3 states in a few minutes. Kinda neat! Not much QRM/QRN.

Don't remember what radio you have, so I cannot comment on if it will work for you or not. Let me know what you have.

I use a Yaesu FT-847. I haven't seen anything about modifying it for 60m operation, but as I said, I haven't really looked into it. I'm not really sure where to start looking, other than the Yaesu web site, but I wouldn't really expect much from them, based on past experiences on their site.

Happy New Year!

Actually Mike, I went there when we started this latest phase of the discussion. The only mod they have there for the FT-847 that would open up 60m transmit is the "freeband" mod. On top of the fact that I don't really like the idea of opening up all frequencies, doing that causes the rig to lose some functionality since it no longer has any idea which ITU region it's in.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll survive without 60m until I get a radio that will work reliably in that range.

Just because they call it the free-band mod does not mean it don't work. However, Yaesu does have a few other issues - issues my ICOM did not have. So hurry up and get something already.

BTW, transponders of AO-40 came back on today. Lots of good sigs.

I agree that opening up the transmit range on the transciever would most likely work for 60m, it's just that the loss of functionality isn't worth it to me. When I get another rig, be it new, used, or boat anchor, that will definitely be a consideration. But my 847 does me fine for now.