Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cadence

Questions about Bands and Freq.

I'm studying element 2 right now, and I was wondering if anyone had a good method of remembering the bands and what frequencies were available - math calculations, mnemonics?

I am more than willing to do some rote memorization, but if there was a handy method that could make it easier... I'd be much obliged for any answers.

Todd

I picked out the obvious stuff (50-50.1 and 144-144.1 are CW, for instance) and tried to force-feed what I could on the HF bands, and called it a day. There can't be more than a very few questions on these, and I figured I'd just count these as lost and compensate on the other questions.

Musta worked, since I did the same as you're planning to do: Elements 1, 2 and 3 all in one session.

Good luck!

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

Remember 300. As in 300 million meters per second. This the metric speed of light.

300 over freq (MHz) = wavelength (Meters).

Mike.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I was going to make the same comment that Mike made... That's how I remembered (and sometimes still figure it out when someone is talking about a frequency and not a "band" per se...)

The frequency in MHz times the wavelength in meters is always going to give you something in the ballpark of 300.

For instance, if the frequency is 29.6 MHz, I know it can't be 20 meters because 20*29.6 = 592. It has to be 10 meters since 10*29.6 = 296 (or approx 300).

I also agree with Boyd - don't stress out about those questions too much since you'll never see more than 1 or 2. If you know the above you'll be in good shape. There is no real benefit to knowing which tiny sliver of the band is for CW or EME... That kind of information you can always look up as needed.

Good luck to you!!

Scott - WA4SE

Sorry my answers are rather short lately guys. I have been doing lots of overtime. They are paying $40/hour for anything over 8 hours a day. I have been doing an extra 5 hours a day. This might go on for a few weeks. New spotting scope, dog food, new rifle, dog food, jeep parts, dog food, and if it goes on for longer than that, more dog food! Well, 10pm. Just finished dinner, and now for bed. Enjoy your weekend. It starts at $40/hour and goes to $50/hour past 8 hours tommorrow. I can sleep on the way to the bank! icon_biggrin.gif

Type at you all later!!!

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! This is the type of thing that puts my mind at ease - usually I try to make it harder than it needs to be.

"Here's an easy formula to remember, and don't worry about it, you won't see much of it on the test"

I love it. Made my evening!

Back to the books...

T.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

There is only ONE rifle for guys like us.

Colt H-Bar AR-15, NM two-stage trigger, NM 1/4 MOA iron sights, in .223 throated for the 80 grain Sierra HPBT match bullets. Molly of course.

Were you thinking of something else??? icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.

Yeah Buddy!!! I've got One of those myself (without the NM trigger) Blue lable Colt. Great Rifle. My latest was a .223 romainian AK (SAR-3 $300.00) its a fun little field rifle for takin out when I dont want to bugger up my Pre-ban baby.... lol...

Cadence (OddTodd & CheleBell)

Well Cadence, You will have to read it over & over and memorize it and I did the 40mtrs/7.2mhz....20mtrs/14mhz and broke the freq range one band at a time. There's no easy way to do it. just study it and get someone to ask what band can you operate on etc. Good luck and Read it Over & Over Study,study,study. I know you will get it. es 73's from the sunny South of Mississippi WV5V

The good news? In element 2 you will only get 1 or 2 questions about frequency bands. Element 2 doesn't emphasis operation or technical stuff very much. The questions are pretty basic. So, don't beat your head against the wall on any specific area.

After you get the license you can use a chart at your operating point like the rest of us. And the FCC mandates will be less practical than the band plans, which are "gentlemen's agreements" about what frequency to use for a particular mode in a particular band and include the FCC requirements and a lot more. You can find them here on the ARRL site.

Most of the new hams I know made good use of the practice tests online. When you can take them and consistently get 80%,or higher, you should have no problem with the actual test.

Try here on QRZ.com, because it gives you the reason for the right answer if you miss the question.

Good luck!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Thanks everybody for your responses! I'm ready on element two, but element one will take a while. I'm waiting till July - giving myself enough time to study for the first 3 elements, and maaaayybe element 4 if I feel lucky. Right now I am setting my sights on General.

You guys are awesome.

T.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

I had the same idea when I was studying for my ticket, Todd. But once I started in on Extra, I saw that there was a tremendous difference in the types and quantity of questions, and I didn't have the patience to wait to get on the air.

Besides, I still haven't gotten an HF rig (or antenna, that's the bigger problem), so Extra wouldn't be doing me any good, anyway!

Good luck!

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

Same thoughts here, just started thinking about getting the Technician and at least I could get on the air, and focus on CW and the General book.

Hmmm. I've consistently passed the online exams with 85% or better and I haven't finished studying the book yet - maybe I should schedule the exam.

It'd be nice to have a callsign besides my GMRS one!

T.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

Just go for the test, i have also been passing the on-line exams. so i am taking the test tuesday in tacoma, picked up my first radio this weekend, a VX-150 nice to start out. now looking at a good tri-band for the Jeep. even if you fail the tuesday exam there is 2 more before the end of the month when the test changes. 1 at Ft. Lewis or McCord AFB, then 1 in Renton. BTW had to goto HRO in Portland to find a place where i could get my hands on radios. No good place in Seattle that i could find.

"We never seek things for themselves - what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

icon_geocachingwa.gif