Why would anybody do that?

Fife Club

Just needed to vent:

Got a log entry that said my cache was wet. Seemed odd since I took steps to prevent that from happening. I had the cache placed directly on top of small drainage stones (1" thick stones that couldn't be mistaken for natural) to keep the container above the ground. So I checked it out and yup the cache is soaking wet and the papers are green for some reason. But what I found when I checked was that some previous finder had gone through the effort and trouble of removing all the drainage stones and moving them to a pile a few feet away, only the still put the cache back in the same spot where the stones were previously. Why? Even if somebody didn't realize that the stones were intentionally placed there (which was very obvious) why in the world would anybody intentionally move them to the side like that but still put the cache back in the same spot? Isn't it know to leave things the way you found it?

Edited by Fife Club
Isn't it know to leave things the way you found it?

When I've cached in a group, often everyone else signs the log, hands the container to me, then moves on. So I get to figure out how it was hidden. “Oh, it was next to that tree there, covered up a little”. Maybe your cache problem was some kind of cooperative effort :rolleyes:. But unless the container is watertight (and unless there's no water or humidity in the cache spot), the contents can get wet & moldy over time, regardless of the "drainage".

One of my caches is kind of tough to spot, and works great in its spot. But never gets placed back that way. So I just go check it upon a Found log, and set it back up (it's nearby, along my usual walk). My most recent caches are designed to be placeable only in their exact position. Cachers would have to try real hard to get them wrong. My plan is to make it very obvious and easy to put the container back where it goes.

Did you use a waterproof container?

I'm trying to figure out why you'd need stones to keep it above ground level.

Yes, it's a waterproof container, but I don't trust people to close it tightly so the drainage rocks were a safety overkill. Or really just to help keep what the container was hidden in/under dry too.

When I've cached in a group, often everyone else signs the log, hands the container to me, then moves on. So I get to figure out how it was hidden. “Oh, it was next to that tree there, covered up a little”. Maybe your cache problem was some kind of cooperative effort.

This isn't much of an excuse. When you cache as a group, then the group is responsible for letting the final person know where/how to re-hide the cache.

I think your container either wasn't shut properly, or isn't waterproof as you think it is.

Just for interest sake, what is your container?

I have found many containers right on the ground and they are dry inside. I've even found containers under rain water on the ground, and they are dry inside!

You shouldn't need drainage stones under a container to keep it dry inside.

As for why someone would move the stones .... people do dumb things!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

When I've cached in a group, often everyone else signs the log, hands the container to me, then moves on. So I get to figure out how it was hidden. “Oh, it was next to that tree there, covered up a little”. Maybe your cache problem was some kind of cooperative effort.

This isn't much of an excuse. When you cache as a group, then the group is responsible for letting the final person know where/how to re-hide the cache.

Well... here's the typical scenario:

A larger group is geocaching including the cousins, aunts, neighbors, and so on...

Dad finds the cache, signs log and calls out to the others who meander over. He passes it on, by the time it gets to the last signature, Dad, the finder, has gotten tired of waiting and is long gone before the others finish, never telling anyone just where it was or how it was when he found it. The last signatory is left holding the bag, so to speak. Seen it many times before.

Maybe he did tell someone else, but the someone else cares less than Dad... so it goes.

I agree with you, there is responsibility, but that is usually out the window while everyone is laughing, lollygagging and what-not.

Just watch groups larger than three, you'll see what I mean.

True, not all groups are that way -- but just how many of those other groups does it take to make them all look bad?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Just needed to vent:

Got a log entry that said my cache was wet. Seemed odd since I took steps to prevent that from happening. I had the cache placed directly on top of small drainage stones (1" thick stones that couldn't be mistaken for natural) to keep the container above the ground. So I checked it out and yup the cache is soaking wet and the papers are green for some reason. But what I found when I checked was that some previous finder had gone through the effort and trouble of removing all the drainage stones and moving them to a pile a few feet away, only the still put the cache back in the same spot where the stones were previously. Why? Even if somebody didn't realize that the stones were intentionally placed there (which was very obvious) why in the world would anybody intentionally move them to the side like that but still put the cache back in the same spot? Isn't it know to leave things the way you found it?

I've never really looked for sympathy when a cache is trashed. Annoyed? Oh absolutely but then I look for a way to step it up so that the next time the trasher actually had to walk a trail. Or I could just do a LPC and call it good.

When I go out with a group, whoever found the cache has to rehide it. Works well!

Assuming it's adult who did this to the drainage stones (because if it was kids, then "Ooo, cool rocks!" may be the only reason), one reason I could imagine is someone thinking this "pile of rocks" elevated the cache too much and thus increased its visibility to muggles, and wouldn't the cache fit even better in its hiding spot if we got rid of these silly stones?

If I didn't recognize the stones as being for drainage, I might have wondered to myself why they were there. I could see someone else taking that to the next level and "fixing" your cache by removing the stones. I can't imagine that anyone who actually recognized the stones' purpose as drainage would have actually moved them - I mean, what a weird act of sabotage. It almost has to be someone who thought they were doing you a favor.

When I go out with a group, whoever found the cache has to rehide it. Works well!

That's how we roll too.

Sometimes when it's hard to reach one guy will point it out to another so they have to make the grab and replacement.

That's how we roll too.

Sometimes when it's hard to reach one guy will point it out to another so they have to make the grab and replacement.

So you got this one solved.

That's how we roll too.

So you got this one solved.

Or... is it!!