Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Guest Morseman

Radio Related Caches

Guest Morseman

s.Groundspeak.com/ubb/cool.gif">

However, it got me thinking (dangerous that is!) about the possibility of radio related caches.

If I'd known about caching in the summer, I might have asked if I could put one at Poldu, the site of the first tranatlantic transmission.

Would anyone find this sort of thing interesting? I tend to think of a theme for the caches that I'm planning, and doing some that might have relavence to radio could make it more interesting, perhaps?

If so, what places can people think of that could be included in an "Amateur Radio" set of caches?

I've a few ideas, which I'll post as a starter if people think it's a good idea, them perhaps people who live clse to the places could volunteer to get the necessary permission and negoiate a suitable hideing place and arrange to place a cache.

Maybe a few items could reflect a radio theme. Nothing expensive, unless you really want to, but that could be associated with radio maybe?

Anyone any thoughts?

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Anton

Another idea is to have the contents of a cache fit a ham radio theme: books, magazines, and surplus radio equipment & electronic components: you know, the kind of "junk" we all love to pick through at hamfests and fleamarkets. Fill that 50 cal ammo box with stuff you were cleaning out of your shack to unload at a hamfest, and put it all in a new cache box. Then hide the cache, and announce the ham radio theme of its contents. There aren't a lot of ham-related locations, but a ham-theme cache doesn't necessarily need a ham radio location.

Anton, N2RUD

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 02 December 2001).]

Guest Ttepee

I placed a cache not too long ago at Locust Grove, Samuel Morse's country estate along the Hudson in NY. Originally I had wanted to incorporate fact finding from the gallery to gather clues to get the coordinates... but the gallery is not always open so I canned that idea. Then I wanted to try to make the cacher do some Morse code research before attempting this cache to gather the coordinates but I am not a ham person and the learning curve was getting ridiculous so I ended up just placing it... but the site is really interesting... stop by if your in NY sometime. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9789 I also have a Samuel Morse Travel Bug that started there http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=60 ... he is in Philadelphia right now I believe. If you set up a cache at Poldu let me know and we'll have to have SFBM try the transatlantic travel bug transmission icon_smile.gif

Guest Ttepee

I placed a cache not too long ago at Locust Grove, Samuel Morse's country estate along the Hudson in NY. Originally I had wanted to incorporate fact finding from the gallery to gather clues to get the coordinates... but the gallery is not always open so I canned that idea. Then I wanted to try to make the cacher do some Morse code research before attempting this cache to gather the coordinates but I am not a ham person and the learning curve was getting ridiculous so I ended up just placing it... but the site is really interesting... stop by if your in NY sometime. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9789 I also have a Samuel Morse Travel Bug that started there http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=60 ... he is in Philadelphia right now I believe. If you set up a cache at Poldu let me know and we'll have to have SFBM try the transatlantic travel bug transmission icon_smile.gif

Guest ESFKids

A Ham radio themed cache sounds like it could be a good idea. Depending on the resources at hand. It could be possible to set it up as a multi cache idea. Having the contents of the first cache possibly contain a DTFM code for a near by repeater so that when transmitted the repeater could come back with the second set of coordinates to complete the cache. However I would hate to have a cache be exclusive to just a ham radio operator? it wouldn?t be fair to those who are not radio operators. But the idea is still there?

Andrew of ESFKids

KC2HUX

Guest n1niq

Ttepee:

You have let us know. We could have helped with the code with no problem.

Chris & Michelle

Guest JerryB

How about posting on the cache page an MP3 file containing a morse code encoded message detailing the cache location? The posted location could be the parking lot or another landmark nearby. Difficulty could be increased with QRM and QRN in the messsage.

Jerry KF6DNJ

How about posting on the cache page an MP3 file containing a morse code encoded message detailing the cache location? The posted location could be the parking lot or another landmark nearby. Difficulty could be increased with QRM and QRN in the messsage.<BR><BR>Jerry KF6DNJ

Interesting. Sounds like (from the date) that you beat "The Hole in the Sole Gang" in the idea department. They posted a similar cache this last weekend that had the lat & lon as a .wav file. (Or was it a .MP3? I don't recall.)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...da-44f9f3591ae4

Has anyone else actually done this? If yes how did it work out? Any problems? Anything else done differently? What was the comments from non ham cachers?

Tenevda

In the UK there's always Porthcurno - there's a telegraph museum there. Its where the first transatlantic communications were made from, and also goonhilly sattelite earthstation (there's a nearby carpark with good views) this is where the first sattelite link was established from

CW midi site

This site will let you create a sound file and then access it at their site.

There are other programs that let you create midi files.

In the UK there's always Porthcurno - there's a telegraph museum there. Its where the first transatlantic communications were made from, and also goonhilly sattelite earthstation (there's a nearby carpark with good views) this is where the first sattelite link was established from

So is there a cache there that uses something related to ham radio at that location?

Check out this cache. [W7TD

Every year the Apple City Amatuer Radio Club has a hamfest and this cache is hidden at the location of the hamfest. I hid it last year to get some of the cachers interested in ham radio. It was published the day the hamfest started and was found by the first cacher an hour later. She not only was FTF but got to meet some ham radio operators. I am going to turn it into a event this year.

Blue J Wenatchee

Jon Campbell N7RZR

Edited by Blue J Wenatchee

I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to incorporate APRS into a cache clue...even for folks without APRS equipment, there is always Findu.com, so it would be more widely available...just not sure of a "clean" way to go about it yet...

73--KK7UZ

I think PL259 connectors, 8 pin mic jacks, spare microphones, capacitors, diodes, resistors, batteries and any other little bits of the hobby would be great cache treasures. I have all kinds of stuff like that in my junk boxes, and one man's junk is another man's treasure if he happens to need one of those items. :o

I think PL259 connectors, 8 pin mic jacks, spare microphones, capacitors, diodes, resistors, batteries and any other little bits of the hobby would be great cache treasures. I have all kinds of stuff like that in my junk boxes, and one man's junk is another man's treasure if he happens to need one of those items. :)

That's some of what is hidden in this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...da-44f9f3591ae4

Foxhunt caching???

I know you can get thos small transmitters to transmit for A LONG time...

first way point takes you to within range of the transmitter signal and then you need to locate via radio....

if you use a small AM transmitter on a common frequency you could locate it with a small am/fm reciever that most non hams have..

Chris

KC0ZNT

Foxhunt caching???

I know you can get thos small transmitters to transmit for A LONG time...

first way point takes you to within range of the transmitter signal and then you need to locate via radio....

if you use a small AM transmitter on a common frequency you could locate it with a small am/fm reciever that most non hams have..

Chris

KC0ZNT

I'm looking to place my solar FM CW transmitter, and want to do just this. But in this case, I don't want the transmitter to be the fox. I need to come up with some hunt involving the transmitter and keeping it safe at the same time.

KC2SAE

Edited by montyxc

GCT4RR-NTS has people research the NAtional Traffic System and calculate the coordinates from ARRL numbered radiograms. Once the cache is located the finder needs to locate a HAM operator and have a NTS message sent to the owner to complete the cache.

I have placed a every simple puzzle cache.

"Do you know a ham?"

For the cacher to get credit for the cache they most find the cache as normal plus email the name and call sign of a licensed ham operated (I check the callsign at qrz or other callsign lookup site to make sure it current).

The cache closes to a honey baked ham store.

Bonkers18/KJ4BUO

OK what if we take a fox hunt Xmitr and have it send out coordinates to the cache. the xmiter would be in the cache and it will be actually pretty for young hams like me i would not be a problem. Stick one in a hamfest and make it an event!

John

KC2PJD

General class

Kenwood Th-F6A

Another idea is to have the contents of a cache fit a ham radio theme: books, magazines, and surplus radio equipment & electronic components: you know, the kind of "junk" we all love to pick through at hamfests and fleamarkets. Fill that 50 cal ammo box with stuff you were cleaning out of your shack to unload at a hamfest, and put it all in a new cache box. Then hide the cache, and announce the ham radio theme of its contents. There aren't a lot of ham-related locations, but a ham-theme cache doesn't necessarily need a ham radio location.<BR><BR>Anton, N2RUD<BR><BR><BR>[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 02 December 2001).]

QSL having hams drop off QSL cards

KF6VYH

78bab66a-b1f6-438e-bee9-5bed0ab255fd.jpg

Edited by JohnnyVegas

s.Groundspeak.com/ubb/cool.gif"><BR><BR>However, it got me thinking (dangerous that is!) about the possibility of radio related caches.<BR><BR>If I'd known about caching in the summer, I might have asked if I could put one at Poldu, the site of the first tranatlantic transmission.<BR><BR>Would anyone find this sort of thing interesting? I tend to think of a theme for the caches that I'm planning, and doing some that might have relavence to radio could make it more interesting, perhaps?<BR><BR>If so, what places can people think of that could be included in an "Amateur Radio" set of caches?<BR><BR>I've a few ideas, which I'll post as a starter if people think it's a good idea, them perhaps people who live clse to the places could volunteer to get the necessary permission and negoiate a suitable hideing place and arrange to place a cache.<BR><BR>Maybe a few items could reflect a radio theme. Nothing expensive, unless you really want to, but that could be associated with radio maybe?<BR><BR>Anyone any thoughts?<BR><BR><BR><BR>------------------<BR>--... ...--<BR>Morseman

Hi from VE6CIA,

I am making a cache called the "Most Unique Cache Ever"

An Alberta lady is riding a horse 3500km. from Ottawa to Calgary to support the Children's Wish Foundation. http://www.storesonline.com/site/987284/page/926956

The cache will be mobile. http://aprs.fi/?call=VE6cia-9&mt=m&amp...timerange=86400

How unique is that???