Discovering your own caches?

welshsprite

I managed to escape Pembrokeshire this week (the joys of half term) and spent some time caching in Bristol and Bath. Lovely.

There were lots of lovely caches but one that caught my eye was a recent cache - the owner was one of the first to find it!

I've never discovered my own cache. Am I missing out or is it the cache owner that's doing things differently?

I have one I really don't want to return to and find. If maintance is need I guess I will have to go find it but I hope it stays in good condition and I don't have to find it. Either way I am not going to log a find on my own cache. Whats the point? At the same time if someone needs a FTF that bad I say go for it! Just don't be suprised when everyone is laughing at you for it.

Yes, the phrase "bad form" is a good way to describe logging your own caches. It's technically possible, but goes against the spirit of the game.

I've seen it done by "mistake" before now, when a CO has just meant to write a note... indeed some newbies don't know that writing a note is possible. Depends how much it annoys you as to whether you want to take it further. If I'd seen it a CO logging their own caches, I would have mentioned it in my found it log, but probably left it at that.

I was just taking a closer look and I see that the CO in question has only been caching for a couple months and my not even know that is considered bad form. May be a friendly note to them from a local cacher explaining that it is generaly condsidered bad form to log a find on a cache you placed would be in order. Might also be nice to invite them to an upcoming event or invite them out on a day of caching.

I have to admit I logged a found it on my one cache. I had hid it during the summer. Promptly had two SCA suffered a anoxic brain injury. Had no memory of the cache at all. So in December my DH took me out GC. It was like searching for a brand new cache that anyone could have published. I still need to find and do maintenance on my other hides. I have no memory of them either.

I have to admit I logged a found it on my one cache. I had hid it during the summer. Promptly had two SCA suffered a anoxic brain injury. Had no memory of the cache at all. So in December my DH took me out GC. It was like searching for a brand new cache that anyone could have published. I still need to find and do maintenance on my other hides. I have no memory of them either.

That sounds like a good reason to log a find on your own cache. If that ever happens to me I will probably log finds on my caches. If I can remember this thread.

I don't think anyone would argue with that.