Geocaching for Iphone 5.1 Release Notes

nkroy

The version 5.1 update offers a smoother, easier-to-use geocaching experience.

NOTE: This update does not take advantage of the iPhone 5 screen size. Trust us, we want it too. We did bust out tons of amazing updates this time. Take a look:

・ New map toggle enables easy switching between a geocache list, map, or compass

・ Easy access to map controls, saving, and search from the map screen

・ Fixed jumpy map pin issue in iOS 6

・ Open Pocket Query without having to download all geocaches

・ Pocket Queries now shows your finds, Favorite Points, and associated waypoints

・ Improved auto-zoom on map and "Search by GC Code" interface

・ Images can now be sent with Trackable logs and Trackable details now offer photo

galleries

・ Premium Memberships can now be purchased through the app

・ Added support for Portuguese and Danish

Known issues:

・ When logging an Event Cache, Traditional Geocache log types such as "Found it" show instead of Event Cache log types such as "Attended." We are aware of these issues and are working to quickly address them in our next release

I installed the update and it feels good. The looks I've to get used to it, but that's no problem.

There are two things I (still) have a problem with:

1.) PQ doesn't respect the corrected coordinates! Big problem!!

2.) Still the Map.app on the iPhone will not open if you want to open the cache on an external map. I don't want to open a Safari window, navigated to maps.google.com. I want the build in Apple Maps, so I can use the navigate function.

A cool feature is that PQ's now show the find status, and that pictures can be saved for offline use in PQ's. That was buggy on previous versions.

Great update! just 2 issues:

Where did 'waypoint add' go? The little flag button is gone.

Also, I miss the physical +/- buttons for the map. Now I need 2 fingers to zoom, and its hard to walk while using the all with both hands

Add a waypoint by clicking the 3 dots at the top of the map after you are on the Navigate to Geocache map. The little flag shows up at the top.

In Version 5.2, can we get the option to switch "View on External Map" to go direct to the Google Maps App? That would enable us to have turn-by-turn navigation to the geocache on our phones. That is supported even on the earlier devices like the iPhone 4. Right now the "View on External Map" kicks me to the browser maps, which toss up a splash screen advertising the Google Maps App instead of the content.

Here's some info on the SDK you need -> http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/13/google-releases-google-maps-sdk-for-ios-so-devs-can-use-googles/

In Version 5.2, can we get the option to switch "View on External Map" to go direct to the Google Maps App? That would enable us to have turn-by-turn navigation to the geocache on our phones. That is supported even on the earlier devices like the iPhone 4. Right now the "View on External Map" kicks me to the browser maps, which toss up a splash screen advertising the Google Maps App instead of the content.

Here's some info on the SDK you need -> http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/13/google-releases-google-maps-sdk-for-ios-so-devs-can-use-googles/

In case it's helpful, you can click "No thanks, go to mobile site" on the Google Maps splash screen. It doesn't look like that screen will appear again after that.

Great update! just 2 issues:

Where did 'waypoint add' go? The little flag button is gone.

Also, I miss the physical +/- buttons for the map. Now I need 2 fingers to zoom, and its hard to walk while using the all with both hands

Regarding zooming with two hands, one tip is you can double-tap on the map screen to zoom in. Hope this helps a bit!

Regarding zooming with two hands, one tip is you can double-tap on the map screen to zoom in. Hope this helps a bit!

For zooming in it’s twice as much than before.

And what’s about zooming out with one finger?

I don’t understand the motivation for these 'improvements'? Did anyone complain about the + and - buttons?

But the reason for the need of lots of zooming when leaving a cachelisting back to the search- or PQ-map is gone.

Only if I modify a waypoint of a cache and go back to the map, it’ shows always the ’Navigationroute' view, and not the one, I saw before making my waypoint changes. By the way, creating a new waypoint is also one tip more, since it went into a submenue. And what for? Getting space for a completely senseless couple of Buttons 'Compass' and 'Map' If I see the map I need a button to switch to Compass and vice versa nothing else. Or is there any cacher who needs a permanent explanation of what is a map and what is a compass?

Thanks for the work, that is already done, but there’s still no Final in sight.

Edited by Thoric67

Two bugs I've noticed, one old and one new:

1. This has been a problem for a while. If a cache has no attributes or trackables in its inventory, the respective headings on a cache listing are greyed out as expected. However, when a cache has no photos in its gallery, the "Photos" heading is never greyed out when you first bring up a cache listing. If you tap that heading and there are no photos, you get a "There are no photo associated with this geocache." message and the Photos heading then greys out. It would be great if this could be fixed such that the Photos heading is greyed out right from the start so we don't have to tap it to find out if there are any photos or not.

2. This is a bug with the new Compass/Map switcher. When you first tap "Navigate to Geocache", the map uses the "Everything" zoom setting. If you switch to Compass and then back to the Map, it will be using the "Geocache & Waypoints" zoom setting. In fact, no matter what setting you choose, if you switch to the Compass and back to the Map, it will always reset to "Geocache & Waypoints" rather than respecting your previously chosen setting.

As for other changes to the app, I really like the addition of the "New search from here" button on the map. The way I use the app, I tend to use that function fairly often, so having a one-touch button available makes it more efficient. Also, thank you very much for replacing the ridiculous keyboard that was implemented in the previous version! Whoever thought that previous one was an improvement needs to be slapped. :laughing:

One of the bug bears I have always had with the app is that the date I log a find is never correct if I log first thing in the morning. It is still linked to the wrong time zone so shows up as the day before the actual find. There is still no option to change it before submitting a log, so I guess I'll just have to go back and edit afterwards. As I tend to find one or two FTF's, the log sometimes appears before the reviewers published log.

Okay - one thing i've noticed with the new version/release is that my pocket-queries don't load EVERYTHING as they used to.

I have one PQ that loads literally HUNDREDS based on the fact that it's CANADA and I don't have DATA service there.

So I rely on the PQ to grab everything (found or not, my-hides or not) and that way all i have to do is download the PQ to the app.

It's now only grabbing 30 of those from the start-point of my PQ.

Nice that the "bouncing map" was fixed.... but i dealt with it. The PQ issue is a little bigger to me.

After writing the above, i think this actually may be by-design...but i'm not sure. I have a "SQ" list (Cemeteries - Spirit Quest) and it's only loading the ones listed in the PQ by thirty at a time.

If this is by design, i guess i'll learn to work it that way. If not, it's a bug. ;)

Thanks...and happy caching! :)

- RayQix - Detroit, MI -

Edited by RayQix

This is a MASSIVE retrograde step. I'm still reeling. Hope this one gets sorted really quickly. It's not only having to manually having to enter tons of waypoints - it's not being able to see "the big picture" when looking at maps. Having to flick between lots of caches to see which has the closest waypoint. :(

I installed the update and it feels good. The looks I've to get used to it, but that's no problem.

2.) Still the Map.app on the iPhone will not open if you want to open the cache on an external map. I don't want to open a Safari window, navigated to maps.google.com. I want the build in Apple Maps, so I can use the navigate function.

A cool feature is that PQ's now show the find status, and that pictures can be saved for offline use in PQ's. That was buggy on previous versions.

Oh, #1 is killing me! Going on a cache run this Tuesday - we're grabbing 100 puzzles in a day and my PQ doesn't download my corrected coordinates. Awful! I'll have to manually fix each one! And that won't guide me to the nearest puzzle as it goes by posted & not corrected coordinates! The timing is awful!

This is a MASSIVE retrograde step. I'm still reeling. Hope this one gets sorted really quickly. It's not only having to manually having to enter tons of waypoints - it's not being able to see "the big picture" when looking at maps. Having to flick between lots of caches to see which has the closest waypoint. :(

Amen! Puzzle run on Tuesday - grabbing a 100 finds in a day! The pain!

Okay - one thing i've noticed with the new version/release is that my pocket-queries don't load EVERYTHING as they used to.

- RayQix - Detroit, MI -

After selecting a pocket query (while you are viewing those first 30 caches listed), hit the ellipses (three dots) at the top of the screen and select to Save as Offline List. I think that is what you are looking for.

Like the update!

But I miss the +/- buttons in the map screen too.

And adding the possibility to add pictures and drop trackables in fieldnotes would make it the perfect tool to me.

Adding pictures to fieldnotes would really encourage me to add more pictures to my logs! At this time it's a mayor pita!

And dropping trackables in fieldnotes will avoid of making mistakes with the dropping of the trackables in the correct cache after a long day of caching.

From a performance perspective, this is a much improved update. There's the handful of bugs others have mentioned (some very serious), but best performing release to date. Bravo!

What I can't figure out is why one of the most basic iPhone operations is still not included - swipe to delete. It should be possible to swipe to delete caches as well as cache lists. It's standard, expected behavior in an iPhone app and a huge time saver.

Secondarily, as others have mentioned, the method by which you view in external maps is very cumbersome. Tap button, Safari launches, wait for it to present button to open Google Maps app, then tap that.

Additionally, a setting allowing you to choose the External Maps app would be welcomed. I for one don't want to use the Google Maps app. I would prefer to use the Apple Maps app as I've never had any issues with it and it is better integrated into the system (for obvious reasons). I realize others would prefer Google, so that's what maps a simple setting desirable (and implementable in less than 10 minutes).

It's now possible to add Google Maps inside the app, if Groundspeak is willing. Note this is different from my earlier request to switch the View on External Map to be able to call the Google Maps App instead of Safari.

But for using Google Maps inside the Geocaching App itself, see this:

http://www.imore.com/google-opens-their-maps-sdk-lets-developers-replace-app-apple-maps

I've found one annoying change that disrupts my mobile caching experience -- when editing an unsent log, the app now updates the timestamp of the log to the current date/time, rather than keeping the original timestamp. When I'm out caching I tend to make a quick one or two word notes in my logs and then go back to edit them and write more detailed entries once I get home, before submitting en masse. Sometimes this means I don't submit the log the same day I initially record it in the app, but in prior versions it always had the right date regardless of when it was submitted.

I would like to see this change reverted, or to make it possible to edit the log date within the app in the same way that you can add trackables and photos.

First off I want to say that this is a phenomenal update! Secondly, I'd like to contribute a few ideas I've had after using the current version.

1. I need the +/- zoom buttons back. It's impossible to zoom out with one hand. (I'm aware of the double tap zoom in feature.)

2. I liked the flag icon at the top to add a waypoint. It's a little more difficult within its new sub-menu. This is not a deal breaker though.

3. I really, really like the new "search from here" button. Please don't change that.

Like I said before this update is one of best yet!! Thanks for all your hard work and I'm looking forward to the next iteration!!

Edited by Dan and Yana

This is indeed a terrible thing....hope it gets fixed shortly!!

I was due to a repair of my 4S forced to upgrade to iOS 6 and now I'm really unhappy about the Official Geocaching app for Iphones.

With the embedded Apple Maps and the other Open... I can't see anything of what I can with the Google Maps.

Right on top of where I live in Sweden there's a huge cloud shading the village. Next to that frame are even worser map images.

This is really a good cause to finally let go of this game which up to now has been fun, very much because of having Google Maps there to support pinpointing the area to search.

Bring Google Maps back into the app!

I was due to a repair of my 4S forced to upgrade to iOS 6 and now I'm really unhappy about the Official Geocaching app for Iphones.

With the embedded Apple Maps and the other Open... I can't see anything of what I can with the Google Maps.

Right on top of where I live in Sweden there's a huge cloud shading the village. Next to that frame are even worser map images.

This is really a good cause to finally let go of this game which up to now has been fun, very much because of having Google Maps there to support pinpointing the area to search.

Bring Google Maps back into the app!

You can still technically get the point on Google Maps, just use the View on External Map option and it will kick out to a browser with Google Maps.

I already posted a technical solution for Google Maps inside the app a few messages back. Google has not made it easy for an outfit the size of Groundspeak to utilize the Maps product - unless you want to say, see your Premium Membership go up 10x in cost. Let Groundspeak digest the new Maps API/SDK terms, which have been out barely two weeks, before geociding please.

Also, if you NEED Google Maps, you could always use one of the Geocaching Live partner apps, or something else like GeoSphere with pocket queries.

...You can still technically get the point on Google Maps, just use the View on External Map option and it will kick out to a browser with Google Maps...

I don't see how this option can be used or even found (inside the app), will you please share a step by step.

...You can still technically get the point on Google Maps, just use the View on External Map option and it will kick out to a browser with Google Maps...

I don't see how this option can be used or even found (inside the app), will you please share a step by step.

-Open cache listing in the app

-Scroll down to the bottom

-Tap "View on External Map"

I'm not ABOUT to wade though the complaints here to see if this has been addressed... But now when I log new finds with the most recent iphone udate, I get more than 1 logs on a cache on the web site Sometimes up to 6 or 7. While I appreciate the inflated finds.. Really? If you need a remedial programmer, I would be happy to volunteer. Why should I have to wade through the logs of the caches I have found to delete multiple "found" logs? This should have been easy to detect before thr current version of the app was released, but..