Any specific sites, clubs, etc. for long time cachers?

Dude, in several threads you have basically pushed the idea that you are somewhat better and more knowledgeable about geocaching because you joined back in the days of yore. Now, you want to find a group for people just like you, and don't see how others can view that as being elitist? You really need to get over yourself.

Your opinion is noted, but it isn't about me being elite or better. I simply am trying to say I have a perspective that many can't have because they weren't there. You don't criticize a Veteran when they say that new soldiers don't have the same perspective because they have "been there" and have different, and likely more experience. I'm not better, far from it. But I can offer a point-of-view that I think is valuable.

The only thing I still can't grasp is, why can't you talk about the "good ol' days" out in the regular forums? As others have said, newer cachers are likely to be eager to know how it was back in the day. Furthermore, while you may have a point of view dictated by your time in the game, how valuable is it really if you only share it amongst those who have been around long enough to have the same perspective? It's preaching to the choir. This whole idea is still elitist and it always will be.

It wasn't about being separate, but just were I could find the area. I think the above suggestion of the area in this forum is in fact open to all.

...but PLEASE stop comparing or making analogies to military veterans.. geocaching and serving our country aren't even close to being on the same level... my military service wasn't a game, there's no comparison... compare it to hiking, camping, Easter egg hunting, whatever...

The analogy is NOT about comparing the game to military service, it was to example how WITHIN geocaching there are those that are military oriented and have exclusive groups. I don't need a lecture on military respect. Most of my family is serving or served. Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

I can totally see everyone's point and I agree that the ones that have been here for the long haul have a better perspective

Actually, I do not think that they have a better perspective in general. They know, however, certainly how geocaching has been like back then.

For me both has its values: Communicating with very new or relatively new cachers, but also sharing memories with long time geocachers.

I do not think at all that my desire to sometimes just be among caching veterans is elitist.

I do know myself very well that there are aspects of geocaching that have changed to the good since 2002 when I started, but my personal resume is still that for me as a person

almost all changes have been negative ones. When I like to dream about the old times, I'm not in the mood to be overloaded with comments how wonderful the

new geocaching world is and how much variety it offers as this is simply something that does not appeal to me, but which is known to me anyway.

Cezanne

WW Thanks for quoting half of what I said... looks great!

If you're still so upset about not having your own group or secret club I honestly think you should just make one... Then everyone on here calling you out won't be an issue..

relax, this is a hobby... enjoy it

I don't need to include a quote that isn't relevant to my response.

I enjoy the game just fine. How about you READ ALL of my postings before you try and be all "you should...." Reading comprehension my friend....reading comprehension.

I can totally see everyone's point and I agree that the ones that have been here for the long haul have a better perspective

Actually, I do not think that they have a better perspective in general. They know, however, certainly how geocaching has been like back then.

For me both has its values: Communicating with very new or relatively new cachers, but also sharing memories with long time geocachers.

I do not think at all that my desire to sometimes just be among caching veterans is elitist.

I do know myself very well that there are aspects of geocaching that have changed to the good since 2002 when I started, but my personal resume is still that for me as a person

almost all changes have been negative ones. When I like to dream about the old times, I'm not in the mood to be overloaded with comments how wonderful the

new geocaching world is and how much variety it offers as this is simply something that does not appeal to me, but which is known to me anyway.

Cezanne

In 10 years I may look back and say how great geocaching was then and how it sucks now. When you first start geocaching everything is new and and a first but as time goes on those "first of my life" experiences are fewer and farther in between hence why the good ol' days were better.

I will always remember as amazing experiences my first cache, my first mountain summit, my first power trail, the first time I went through the tunnel of light and many other firsts and if I do any again they will be different.

The only thing I still can't grasp is, why can't you talk about the "good ol' days" out in the regular forums? As others have said, newer cachers are likely to be eager to know how it was back in the day. Furthermore, while you may have a point of view dictated by your time in the game, how valuable is it really if you only share it amongst those who have been around long enough to have the same perspective? It's preaching to the choir. This whole idea is still elitist and it always will be.

This proposed "old-timers" group does NOT seem to have an elitist intention. He's looking for cameraderie with those who share his experiences. Any group that does not admit everyone who applies could be accused of elistism. However, many cachers cited examples of groups that are highly restrictive and yet are never thought of as "elistist."

Others make a good point that sharing ideas among those with different experiences is valuable also.

The point is this: most people enjoy being with those (1) that are like themselves and (2) with those that are different from themselves. Those two situations have different benefits for the participants. Some like more of one situation than the other. It doesn't seem negative unless (1) you totally avoid those different than you, or (2) you judge people negatively based solely on them being different from you.

Why not open a "vintage geocaching" thread in the forums?

Edited by wmpastor

WW Thanks for quoting half of what I said... looks great!

If you're still so upset about not having your own group or secret club I honestly think you should just make one... Then everyone on here calling you out won't be an issue..

relax, this is a hobby... enjoy it

I don't need to include a quote that isn't relevant to my response.

I enjoy the game just fine. How about you READ ALL of my postings before you try and be all "you should...." Reading comprehension my friend....reading comprehension.

I have read this entire thread, rest assured... I, just like you, gave an OPINION on what I THINK you should do to have your private discussions...

The more this thread goes on, the more I'm for you having a private conversation that I can't see... I was trying to be helpful in every post, but you want to get all salty at me because other people hurt your feelings!?!

Good luck man

Dude, in several threads you have basically pushed the idea that you are somewhat better and more knowledgeable about geocaching because you joined back in the days of yore. Now, you want to find a group for people just like you, and don't see how others can view that as being elitist? You really need to get over yourself.

Your opinion is noted, but it isn't about me being elite or better. I simply am trying to say I have a perspective that many can't have because they weren't there. You don't criticize a Veteran when they say that new soldiers don't have the same perspective because they have "been there" and have different, and likely more experience. I'm not better, far from it. But I can offer a point-of-view that I think is valuable.

If I have totally misunderstood, then I apologize.

Please consider this.

How is joining in 2002 any different than 2005, if I cached for the fist six months, hiked about 200 miles and found 150 caches before I even discovered the fact that there was an urban micro cache? Would my perspective of when I started be much different than that of when you started with the possible exception that I had more caches available to find?

Maybe you didn't intend it, but you came off as very dismissive of any opinion that wasn't based on that of a ten year veteran. It's bad to read too much into the stats page but some things are hard to ignore. You don't seem to be a ten year veteran but someone that joined ten years ago and pokes their head in every so often to see what has changed and then voice their displeasure. It's hard to add more value to those opinions then that of one that has been around on a daily, weekly, even monthly basis and has experienced the changes first hand.

This proposed "old-timers" group does NOT seem to have an elitist intention. He's looking for cameraderie with those who share his experiences.

Yes, it does. It implies that somehow a person who's been in the game eight or nine years just cannot understand a person who's been at it one or two years longer than they. Time in game does not necessarily equal vastly different experiences.

Maybe you didn't intend it, but you came off as very dismissive of any opinion that wasn't based on that of a ten year veteran. It's bad to read too much into the stats page but some things are hard to ignore. You don't seem to be a ten year veteran but someone that joined ten years ago and pokes their head in every so often to see what has changed and then voice their displeasure. It's hard to add more value to those opinions then that of one that has been around on a daily, weekly, even monthly basis and has experienced the changes first hand.

Thank you. Again, starting the game less than ten years ago does not mean that said person does not have similar experiences as one who has been around over a decade. Also, given this OP's caching history and actions as of late, I am inclined to agree with your assessment that he is acts like nothing much more than a curmudgeon that wakes up every now and then, posts a lot of negative things and slinks back into hibernation.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian
This proposed "old-timers" group does NOT seem to have an elitist intention. He's looking for cameraderie with those who share his experiences.

Yes, it does. It implies that somehow a person who's been in the game eight or nine years just cannot understand a person who's been at it one or two years longer than they. Time in game does not necessarily equal vastly different experiences.

Yes. Alas, I have only been geocaching for eight and a half years. So, I would not qualify for the 'old-timers' group. I'm a newbie!! Oh, well,

Yes. Alas, I have only been geocaching for eight and a half years. So, I would not qualify for the 'old-timers' group. I'm a newbie!! Oh, well,

I'm not the OP, but I could imagine that the choice of ten was just to use a number that is much more often chosen when referring to durations than say 9 or 11.

Moreover, I do think that it depends on the region where one started to geocache. In my area, I can notice already big differences between those who started in either 2002 or 2003 and those who started in 2004 (in particular in late 2004). And in the same way the differences become larger and larger every two years added.

There is another observation I'd like to add: From time to time, I encounter cachers who started much later and some of them less than 2 years ago and they still have a old-school geocaching soul and have a long background in outdoor activities, but this happens less and less frequently as almost all from this target group have had heard about geocaching earlier. The new instream comes from different fields and has a much larger focus on playing a game and on urban settings. (I need to add that I live in the second largest city of my country and while urban caching played no role in the first two years, it is now the absolutely dominating approach to caching in the city and also in a large circle around.)

What I try to say with the above is that certainly by putting up any sort of limit with respect to the starting date, one will lose people that would have fitted in very well. It is similar to the dilemma of filter rule for caches. While being able to eliminate quickly some of the caches you do not want to encounter in your PQ, you also lose some of those which would have been precious for you.

Some months ago we had a meeting (not a gc.com event) of more than half of those cachers that have been around in my city in 2003 (some of them are hardly caching any more, but still chose to come). I need to say that this meeting was very special and that I really enjoyed it and the others agreed and we will meet again at a later time within the same setting. I cannot recall that I enjoyed any GC event I have been during the last 6 years in the same way than that meeting. The reason for that is certainly not that I'm elitist. It is also not only about geocaching. The proportion of non geocaching stuff we talked about was much higher than it is at geocaching events nowadays where for my taste there is too much focus on geocaching (what is the best equipment, which caches one absolutely needs to see, how to solve puzzle X etc). As geocaching is now so heterogeneous, geocaching is often the onl common interest. Back then this was different in my area and I enjoyed e.g. to get tips about hikes or to talk about completely different topics. Of course such exchanges are possible also in the modern geocaching world, but in a very large crowd it is very difficult (at least for people like me) to select the "right" persons.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I'm not the OP, but I could imagine that the choice of ten was just to use a number that is much more often chosen when referring to durations than say 9 or 11.

Moreover, I do think that it depends on the region where one started to geocache. In my area, I can notice already big differences between those who started in either 2002 or 2003 and those who started in 2004 (in particular in late 2004). And in the same way the differences become larger and larger every two years added.

There is another observation I'd like to add: From time to time, I encounter cachers who started much later and some of them less than 2 years ago and they still have a old-school geocaching soul and have a long background in outdoor activities, but this happens less and less frequently as almost all from this target group have had heard about geocaching earlier. The new instream comes from different fields and has a much larger focus on playing a game and on urban settings. (I need to add that I live in the second largest city of my country and while urban caching played no role in the first two years, it is now the absolutely dominating approach to caching in the city and also in a large circle around.)

What I try to say with the above is that certainly by putting up any sort of limit with respect to the starting date, one will lose people that would have fitted in very well. It is similar to the dilemma of filter rule for caches. While being able to eliminate quickly some of the caches you do not want to encounter in your PQ, you also lose some of those which would have been precious for you.

Some months ago we had a meeting (not a gc.com event) of more than half of those cachers that have been around in my city in 2003 (some of them are hardly caching any more, but still chose to come). I need to say that this meeting was very special and that I really enjoyed it and the others agreed and we will meet again at a later time within the same setting. I cannot recall that I enjoyed any GC event I have been during the last 6 years in the same way than that meeting. The reason for that is certainly not that I'm elitist. It is also not only about geocaching. The proportion of non geocaching stuff we talked about was much higher than it is at geocaching events nowadays where for my taste there is too much focus on geocaching (what is the best equipment, which caches one absolutely needs to see, how to solve puzzle X etc). As geocaching is now so heterogeneous, geocaching is often the onl common interest. Back then this was different in my area and I enjoyed e.g. to get tips about hikes or to talk about completely different topics. Of course such exchanges are possible also in the modern geocaching world, but in a very large crowd it is very difficult (at least for people like me) to select the "right" persons.

Cezanne

You are making the choice way too complicated, to join all you need to do is think that you are better than other caters that started after you.

Edited by Roman!

You are making the choice way too complicated, to join all you need to do is think that you are better than other caters that started after you.

Maybe, I'm a complicated person anyway. What I know for sure, however, is that I would not want to join a group (neither virtually via the internet nor in real life) where people there feel that they are better than those who are belonging to the group.

Cezanne

>What I know for sure, however, is that I would not want to join a group (neither virtually via the internet nor in real life)

>where people there feel that they are better than those who are belonging to the group.

I so much agree !!

but I am also aware alot of people would love to join.

------

anyway you did not read or understand my post about the stats :-)

what I mean is : look at the ENTIRE stats, see the whole picture,

NOT only look at the total finds, that say nothing, I agree to that,

but you see a very good picture of how versatile and how experianced a geocacher is

when you look at ALL of it.

normally I dont care about peoples stats at all, it is no score, there are no winners or loosers,

if you have fun, you do the right thing and bla bla,

But if someone show up and (maybe even unintentionally) play clever,

people will offcourse look that person up, and see if he looks like what he claim to be.

I have read this entire thread, rest assured... I, just like you, gave an OPINION on what I THINK you should do to have your private discussions...

The more this thread goes on, the more I'm for you having a private conversation that I can't see... I was trying to be helpful in every post, but you want to get all salty at me because other people hurt your feelings!?!

Good luck man

I guess I was misreading you as being snarky to me. I was just throwing it back. Guess I was wrong (tone not always easy to read on the net). I actually am considering (almost) everyone's opinion and feed back. Heck, even if snarky, it does tell a story itself. Still trying to get the ignore list to work for a couple folks, but otherwise I have no hard feelings. I take as much as I dish.

I've actually said/asked most everything I need to here. I will read ongoing discussion and address anything specific, but don't really have anything new to add or request.