History of the Geocache Museum

theclowndog

With the exception of the original can of beans from Dave Ulmer's first cache, a lot of the physical history of the game is probably lost: the first ammo can; the first film can; the first light post that was used for a cache hide; the first APE cache; the first Yellow Jeep logged; the first frog that was kissed. Perhaps the real history of the game is in the experience of those who were intrigued with Dave's idea and set out to hide other stashes -- or those that followed and continued to place caches or take the game into new directions. Although it would make an interesting exhibit to piece together some of the descriptive logs for that time, with photographs and other memorabilia, a lot of the history of this game is online.

With a little research you can still find Dave Ulmer's post announcing the first gps stash hunt; a depiction of Mike Teague's original web page; the original yahoo gspstash group; and various pages relating to the history of the game. The other day, I found myself reading the early pages of the gps stash group, when people were discussing what to call the game or what to do with some of Dave's proposals for a more virtual game -- before Grounded, Inc. was founded and geocaching.com was developed. I have read interviews with Teague, Ulmer, and this site's founders.

There is also a lot of history in these forums. Who can forget Mitsuko -- a geocaching museum would not be complete without a picture of her -- and all the debates about virtuals?

I could see photos (or a piece of rock) from the original earthcache. Documents from the NPS complaining about buried caches. Or some of the gps units that were used in the "old days." Although the best portions of a museum might only be experienced with five-star equipment, if you ring the museum with film cans every few feet, you could give visitors a chance to experience a repetitive trail. Throw in a lot of desert soil and scrub brush to depict some of the original Nevada trails.

So, like most things, my interest in a geocache museum would depend on who was doing it, what perspective it brought, and if I happened to be in the area for other things.

Edited by geodarts

I was thinking of things like early notes and pictures of course. But also as mentioned, early gps units used would be cool. Perhaps included could be donations of some of the longest lived and most traveled bugs and coins. Historic caches and contents that have since been archived but held onto. Amazing logbooks and entries. Interesting stories and items found near cache gz. Etc...