Travel Bug or Geocoin Reminder

South Lyon Trekkers

I was looking through my travel bugs and geocoins, which I have not done in a while, and noticed that many are and have been in the hands of cachers for an extended period of time. I would like to see Groundspeak/Geocaching.com take a more active role in reminding people to move the trackables they pick up. Something occasionally in the weekly newsletter would be nice. I really would like to see a simple button a trackable owner could press and generate an e-mail that sent a reminder to the cacher who picked up the trackable. The e-mail would include a friendly reminder, reference to the specific trackable, and link to the trackable's page. A notice on the cacher's profile would be nice as well. The trackable owner could only be allowed to send a reminder every week or two.

I'm not sure if Groundspeak would want to give us an Instant Email Button as it is certainly going to be abused as some people simply don't have any self control. Maybe they could do it and not enable it until someone has held the TB for at least a month, and then not let you use it again until another month has passed. I can just see one guy clicking it daily until he gets a response and the response being that the other guy got sick of the unsolicited email and threw the TB in the trash out of spite.

We used to have a widget on our profile sidebar that advised us that we had a TB in our possession for more than 30 days and that it would be best to get it moving or email the owner a status report, (not in that exact wording). It disappeared in one of the monthly updates, never to be seen again.

We used to have a widget on our profile sidebar that advised us that we had a TB in our possession for more than 30 days and that it would be best to get it moving or email the owner a status report, (not in that exact wording). It disappeared in one of the monthly updates, never to be seen again.

I remember that. It'd be nice to get it back. That and the widget on upcoming event caches I'd logged "will attend."

I would like to see some kind of notification also. I will personally email cachers that have my TBs longer than 2 months without any activity. But it would be great if some kind of alert would pop up on their profile page, or even a notification to their smartphone (like when a new cache is listed).

I vote yes on this idea! :D

I was looking through my travel bugs and geocoins, which I have not done in a while, and noticed that many are and have been in the hands of cachers for an extended period of time. I would like to see Groundspeak/Geocaching.com take a more active role in reminding people to move the trackables they pick up. Something occasionally in the weekly newsletter would be nice. I really would like to see a simple button a trackable owner could press and generate an e-mail that sent a reminder to the cacher who picked up the trackable. The e-mail would include a friendly reminder, reference to the specific trackable, and link to the trackable's page. A notice on the cacher's profile would be nice as well. The trackable owner could only be allowed to send a reminder every week or two.

It is my impression that gc.com expects you to manage the travelers you have purchased. I don't foresee a response agreeing with much of your post or even addressing any of it.

If you want to send a message to someone holding your TB, then go ahead.

There is no need for a 'send message' button.

Just be aware that such messages will possibly have no effect, or even sometimes a negative effect.

If I am holding a TB for an extended period, it's because I haven't found a suitable place to leave it.

Send me a nag message and it goes into the first cache big enough to hold it, and security be damned. Or maybe I'll dump it on the TB table at next week's event.

If you want to send a message to someone holding your TB, then go ahead.

There is no need for a 'send message' button.

Just be aware that such messages will possibly have no effect, or even sometimes a negative effect.

If I am holding a TB for an extended period, it's because I haven't found a suitable place to leave it.

Send me a nag message and it goes into the first cache big enough to hold it, and security be damned. Or maybe I'll dump it on the TB table at next week's event.

I totally agree with this. I check the profile of the person that has the TB and if they have a reasonable amount of activity and finds (like 50 or more), I just assume they are busy and will get around to it. However, if they only have 1 or 5 or less than 50, I might send them a polite email explaining how to log a travel bug and a link. They may not know. Then again, you just never know and some TBs just disappear and I can only hope someday years from now they'll show up again. :)