Help! Geocache in construction zone soon to be graded!

abphotog

I live right on the edge of the city, and across the street from me in the desert area they are beginning construction of a road. There is a geocache just about 30 feet away from where they will continue the grading (scheduled for the 18th of this month according to the signs). There is also one about 1/4 mile up where the construction will continue after this road is done. I would hate for the caches to be mushed up under the tractors and lost forever! Can I move them? What should I do in this type of situation? And yes, I'm 100% sure its in a spot that will be getting dug up. Should I move it out further into the desert?

Move it-at least rescue it from being crushed by a dumptruck. Put a note on the cache page AND contact the cache owner...if the CO won't respond put a NA log on it. I've rescued a couple caches in that situation and had 2 of my own in in those locations(not so lucky). I'm just suggesting what I did and what I'd like done if they where my caches...Of course if they are yours, you could move them, archive them or disable them(with a note to the reviewer why you are disabling them)

I live right on the edge of the city, and across the street from me in the desert area they are beginning construction of a road. There is a geocache just about 30 feet away from where they will continue the grading (scheduled for the 18th of this month according to the signs). There is also one about 1/4 mile up where the construction will continue after this road is done. I would hate for the caches to be mushed up under the tractors and lost forever! Can I move them? What should I do in this type of situation? And yes, I'm 100% sure its in a spot that will be getting dug up. Should I move it out further into the desert?

Funny. A guys car is parked beside the road and you know the a big boulder is rolling down the road and is going to crush it. You have the ability to move the car. But should you call the owner first? Maybe he would lie his car crushed! What if he gets upset because you kept his car from being crushed.

I agree -- it's a tough call.

I lean towards the response from simpjkee.

If the CO is unresponsive, then let the area open up for a responsive CO.

EDIT to add: But, I would make sure there are no trackables left in the caches!

Mail truck going to be crushed. You're moving the mail out of the truck rather than just moving the truck. A guy walks by and you explain what you are doing. He he now has a good story to tell the wife when he gets home.

The 18th is 5 days from now. I vote for emailing the cache owner. If no response in a couple days, I would suggest moving it to a safe place, then posting the coordaintes on the cache page.

Seems logical. Give the owner to move it themselves. In the meantime you make this an item on your to do list, nope. I'd just act and contact the owner. If they get anal go put it back at tjhe original coords.

If it were my cache, I would appreciate your rescuing it from being bulldozed. I would also expect that you would notify me of what you have done, either by email or a note posted to the cache page. Then we could make arrangements to meet so that I could get the cache from you and then decide what to do with it from there.

If it were my cache, I would appreciate your rescuing it from being bulldozed. I would also expect that you would notify me of what you have done, either by email or a note posted to the cache page. Then we could make arrangements to meet so that I could get the cache from you and then decide what to do with it from there.

Bingo - I like this answer. Of course if time allows - notify the owner so they can pick it up themselves.

Bingo - I like this answer. Of course if time allows - notify the owner so they can pick it up themselves.

Agreed with both of the above posts. Contact the owner now, since they still have 5 days to deal with it themselves. If you don't hear back from them or they don't act within the next 3-4 days, rescue it yourself and coordinate with the owner as necessary.

[quote name='Zerpersande' timestamp='1360803750'

Funny. A guys car is parked beside the road and you know the a big boulder is rolling down the road and is going to crush it. You have the ability to move the car. But should you call the owner first? Maybe he would lie his car crushed! What if he gets upset because you kept his car from being crushed.

Why do you think the cache owner might want his cache bulldozed? ? He's got loads of insurance on it? He's fed up with the junky swag people leave in it? He's taken up golf instead? :laughing:

The 18th is 5 days from now. I vote for emailing the cache owner. If no response in a couple days, I would suggest moving it to a safe place, then posting the coordaintes on the cache page.

Seems logical. Give the owner to move it themselves. In the meantime you make this an item on your to do list, nope. I'd just act and contact the owner. If they get anal go put it back at tjhe original coords.

The cache is just across the street from the CO. What's the rush?

If I encountered such a cache an hour from my home, I might move it first, then contact the CO, but this is not the situation.

Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. Ok I've emailed the OC to let them know. If I don't hear back in time I'll move it and update why its moved and correct the coordinates. My daughters really like this one because its in a pretty neat little box so I feel a little emotionally attached to it, and I would be bummed if they asked me if we could go treasure hunting and it wasn't there anymore. I'll update what happens with it!!

If I lived across the street, as the OP, I'd simply email the CO, post a note to the cache page and if I received no response before D-Day, I'd take the cache home and email the CO again. I'd then post a NM to the page explaining that there is no cache and the area is off limits due to construction. If still no response after a few weeks, I'd post a NA. If the reviewer eventually archives the cache, I'd put a new log in my new container and go hide it someplace else in the desert.

Moving a cache for an inactive or unresponsive owner is not going to work. You can not change the official coordinates and the ones in your log will eventually scroll out of sight and no one will see them.

Edited by Don_J

[quote name='Zerpersande' timestamp='1360803750'

Why do you think the cache owner might want his cache bulldozed? ? He's got loads of insurance on it? He's fed up with the junky swag people leave in it? He's taken up golf instead? :laughing:

I like that. "Ahhh, THAT cache! Yes, it's time has come but I have grown weary of its problems. Out, out, brief candle!"

If I lived across the street, as the OP, I'd simply email the CO, post a note to the cache page and if I received no response before D-Day, I'd take the cache home and email the CO again. I'd then post a NM to the page explaining that there is no cache and the area is off limits due to construction. If still no response after a few weeks, I'd post a NA. If the reviewer eventually archives the cache, I'd put a new log in my new container and go hide it someplace else in the desert.

Moving a cache for an inactive or unresponsive owner is not going to work. You can not change the official coordinates and the ones in your log will eventually scroll out of sight and no one will see them.

Don sums it up nicely.

Exactly what I would do.

Don sums it up nicely.

Exactly what I would do.

I'll throw my lot in with these two fine citizens. Gives the cache owner time to take care of it themselves, yet also forwards the interests of the sport. Who knew it could be this easy? :laughing:

edit: sp

Edited by hzoi

I'll jump in and say the same as a few others ... email the CO, if there is no response pick it up but don't move it. If you're not the owner, you can't update the coordinates or ask the reviewer for an update (changes are the reviewer won't update coords except fo the CO, but that might vary by area.)

Keep it for a few weeks before doing anything else with it if you don't hear back.

A few variables to consider but if there was time, 5 days it appears from when this thread started, then i'd log a needs maintenance and email the CO to let them know. If i lived close enough, as does the OP of this thread, i'd watch the cache page and my email for a response. No response and i'd go out this Sunday and retrieve the cache. Moving it might be ok but here again, you would need to watch it afterwards to see if any response was noted by the CO. No response and no updated coordinates will lead to problems down the road, so a needs archive is probably the way to go after this.

Edited by Mudfrog

Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. Ok I've emailed the OC to let them know. If I don't hear back in time I'll move it and update why its moved and correct the coordinates. My daughters really like this one because its in a pretty neat little box so I feel a little emotionally attached to it, and I would be bummed if they asked me if we could go treasure hunting and it wasn't there anymore. I'll update what happens with it!!

How do you plan on 'correcting the coordinates'? Unless you are the owner or can get in to the owners account, it is impossible. Unless the CO intervenes, the cache is doomed. Do the right thing and let it go.

If you get no response from the owner, then let the cache die. When it's gone, log a NA.

If you don't get a response, why would you leave the container there to be destroyed? Why not pick it up and log a NA so it can be reused?

I don't like the idea of taking someone elses property without their permission even if they seem to be ignoring it. The cache is property of the owner. The cache is not mine to take. I'd prefer to stay out of that. If the CO has decided that they're leaving their stuff in the desert, thats their decision (albeit an unfortunate one).

I also say let it die, because I don't want to suggest that cachers do anything with caches that aren't theirs except find them and rehide them. When exceptions are made, then everyone begins to think their case is exceptional and they now have a good reason to mess with other peopls caches. I think I'd rather see this cache get bulldozed than put it out there that its okay to take other peoples caches in some cases. Truth be told, I may remove the container in this case, but still come on the forums and suggest that others leave the container just because I trust my judgement more than I trust yours. I guess I'm a little hipocritical like that.

Either way, if I were to pick up the cache (and I might) it would not be to preserve the cache or container for re use or whatever, it would be to prevent the workers from having to pick up trash caused by a fellow geocacher, and thus hopefully preventing the proverbial black eye on the game.

Without a doubt, all the trackables would be removed before destruction.