GPS jammers

user13371

What do I think as a Electromagnetic Compliance Engineer?

1) They are illigal in the UK, as well as the USA, Canada, and most everywhere else.

2) They are easy for authorities to detect.

3) They may be good for thiefs, but employees or kids using them to get around rules would likely get busted. "Why did your car's GPS logger have no valid data?" "I don't know, maybe sun spots." "You're fired you lying sack of #$&@!"

As an engineer who lived during the Cold War, I think technology can be used against technology that threatens your privacy or security. Human laws are just opinions.

I agree that GPS tracking device can be useful and to defeat them may be against the rule but that doesn't justify the ban on the equipment to counter it.

Edited by Suscrofa

As an engineer who lived during the Cold War, I think technology can be used against technology that threatens your privacy or security. Human laws are just opinions.

I agree that GPS tracking device can be useful and to defeat them may be against the rule but that doesn't justify the ban on the equipment to counter it.

They ban isn't to infring on your privacy. The ban is because you are interfiering with the lincence holder. You need to think of spectrum like land property title. You can't put a giant metal plate to cover up someone elses land because they are doing something you don't like. Same thing with spectrum. The licence holder (in this case the US army inside USA) holds all rights to that spectrum. Jamming it is violating their rights. In the USA, the penalty for violating these laws are upto $1,000,000 per occurance per day + 1 year jail.

Probably not worth that...

Look, if you really need to hide your wearabouts, you could just remove the GPS device's antenna. That way you are not breaking the law.

I know about the "property" of the spectrum. In fact, to rent/sell it, is a major source of income for the State. To "remove the GPS antenna" OK but if it is a hidden one ?

Ideally, you should be able to block any kind of "wave" in your personal surroundings. True, it is not easy but jammers have a limited range.

Anyway, we should be more concerned about all these privacy invasions especially because they are justified in the name of a so called "public welfare".

The US used to be a reference in terms of "democracy",

It's not just about infringement of spectrum property - it's also about safety of life. Some of these devices have been documented as causing significant disturbance to GPS-assisted approach to busy airport runways - just for the sake of someone wanting to pull one over their employer. How is that a just balance between private and public interests?

My employer has a policy of fitting GPS trackers to all its fleet vehicles - for a variety of good reasons, such as monitoring fleet deployment and availability, personal safety of operatives, and also monitoring compliance with mandatory highway speed limits. I don't have any problem with any of that - if I'm in my employer's vehicle, doing their business in time they're paying me for, it's legitimate. I don't have anything to hide.

If I did find it that much of an issue to my personal liberties, the answer is very simple - I'd find a different employer.