Information overload! GPS advice, please?

steppe-up

I've been using my iPhone and a Geocaching App from Groundspeak for over a year. I'm pleased with it's paperless caching, street & satellite maps, and not needing to wrassle with linking to a computer--I can just grab gear & phone & start "hunting." But I'm getting frustrated with the iPhone's inaccurate, jumpy GPS and only getting about 2-3 hours of battery time. I will probably spring for a premium membership soon, & would also like to hide some caches of my own.

I've been researching GPSrs & my head is spinning! Most devices look like they require doing battle with a full-fledged computer (with Windows, not a Mac--correct? Which seems to mean my iPhone couldn't load a dedicated GPS with PQs?).

I would like better satellite equipment than an iPhone has (would a unit with WAAS be sufficient, or better to also access the GLONASS--Soviet satellites, sorry for spelling?) and longer battery life. I could try a Garmin ETrex 20, or other paperless caching system. I'm wondering, though, if I could use my iPhone in tandem with a GPS. Would this save some $$, avoid the headaches inherent with hooking up to a computer every time I want to go caching (now & then is fine...just not for every hunt), and also not duplicate features my phone handles fine?

If anyone knows of a GPS that can accept a list of caches (wirelessly from my phone would be ideal, but loading them with a fairly user-friendly computer-linked method is also okay), has about 15-20 hours battery life, would accept free maps, and have good satellite locking/accuracy, please let me know. I use the compass on my phone a lot, which drains batteries, so I'd like a GPS with a compass--but don't know if an electronic one is necessary as long as it has one that will register at slow walking paces.

Any advice would be welcome. As far as geocaching GPSrs, I've been considering ETrex 20, Dakota 20, ETrex Vista or Venture, or Colorado 450 (& a few others in the same families). I'd like a color screen, and wouldn't mind touch-screen or buttons. Sorry this got so long!!! Thank you in advance for any advice. :)

GPSr units currently do not link with smart phones. You will need a computer for hookups. Some units will link with one another, but they need be in extremely close proximity -- touching, most of the time.

Of the units you are considering, the Vista and Venture both are obsolescent. Neither one is capable of holding data that you are used to having at hand. Beyond that, they are not nearly as able to hold the mapping that you desire, either.

Us GPSr users are just as capable of "grabbing the gear" and going. It's simply a matter of a little planning.

If you are concerned about the "inherent problems" of having to hook-up to the computer "all the time", consider this --

those other units you are considering will hold 1,000 or more geocaches. You have logged 90 in your almost full year. How long are you gonna take to get all 1,000 or 2,000? Sorry to put it this way, but I think you are worrying about spinning your wheels when your axle is already broken.

The only true difference between using a dedicated unit and a smart phone, is the lack of "immediate gratification" -- that is, instant online logging.

The true advantages of a dedicated unit are battery life (you already know that), ruggedness and generalized "better" accuracy.

I'd like a color screen, and wouldn't mind touch-screen or buttons. Sorry this got so long!!! Thank you in advance for any advice. :)

Garmin Oregon 550 would be a good choice if you want a touch screen and it's magnetic compass, if you want it to point to the cache while walking slow or stopping. The Etrex 20/30 also are great units but not touch screen.

The Vista, Venture, and Colorado are all discontinued.

[quote name='Gitchee-Gummee' timestamp='1360717436' post='5206009'

Of the units you are considering, the Vista and Venture both are obsolescent. Neither one is capable of holding data that you are used to having at hand. Beyond that, they are not nearly as able to hold the mapping that you desire, either

Good to know--thanks!.

Us GPSr users are just as capable of "grabbing the gear" and going. It's simply a matter of a little planning.

If you are concerned about the "inherent problems" of having to hook-up to the computer "all the time", consider this --

those other units you are considering will hold 1,000 or more geocaches. You have logged 90 in your almost full year. How long are you gonna take to get all 1,000 or 2,000? Sorry to put it this way, but I think you are worrying about spinning your wheels when your axle is already broken.

Excellent point, lol! Thanks for that clarification--I had the wrong impression about the amount of computer use involved.

Thanks for taking the time to advise an eager but slightly techno-phobic newbie. :)

GPSr units currently do not link with smart phones. You will need a computer for hookups. Some units will link with one another, but they need be in extremely close proximity -- touching, most of the time.

Of the units you are considering, the Vista and Venture both are obsolescent. Neither one is capable of holding data that you are used to having at hand. Beyond that, they are not nearly as able to hold the mapping that you desire, either.

The only true difference between using a dedicated unit and a smart phone, is the lack of "immediate gratification" -- that is, instant online logging.

The true advantages of a dedicated unit are battery life (you already know that), ruggedness and generalized "better" accuracy.

Oops! I just exposed my lack of "tech savy." I replied to your post below, but my comments aren't divided from yours with the usual boxed quotes. Sorry!

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm leaning towards the ETrex 20, but have a few more questions.

1) compasses--how does the compass in the 20 compare to my iPhone's compass in Groundspeak's caching App? I've read that some compasses must be held level & be in motion to work--will I be frustrated with the 20's compass?

And for clarification, if a unit doesn't have an "electric" compass, what is the usual default called (magnetic?)?

2)Caching with a dedicated GPSr and iPhone--Could I address the weaknesses of iPhone hunting by getting a GPS that has better satellite reception/locking, a good compass, and long battery life, (but not paperless caching abilities)? When I go caching, I would use the GPSr to find the cache and use the iPhone for its paperless features. I'd need a way to enter the caches' coordinates onto the GPS (I don't know how hard that is.) I'm on a tight budget: if using 2 units like this will address my iPhone's failings and be less expensive than the ETrex 20, that would be ideal for me. How well do you think caching this way would work? And what GPSr would you recommend to get the satellite, compass and battery features, but not duplicate the paperless features I have on my phone? (I do most caching in or near towns/cities, including parks. I haven't ventured out to isolated "wilderness," but might someday--most likely with other cachers with their own technology.)

But if caching with 2 units will be even more frustrating than using only my iPhone, or won't save much $$, I'd rather save for the ETrex 20 than end up buying 2 units.

Thanks again for any advice, and for the help you've already offered. :)

Edited by steppe-up

If you want to go paperless then don't even think of using a GPS AND a smart phone, well I wouldn't anyway :)

The Etrex 20 doesn't have an 'electronic' compass, it gives a compass like display based on movement, so you just have to walk a few steps so it can work out which way you're heading then it can tell where north etc is in relationship to your movement. I've never bothered to pay extra for an electronic compass, and never regretted not having one. Others swear you 'have to have them'. That of course is pure rubbish.

Thanks for your advice. :). Why would you avoid caching with a GPS and smartphone? I'd like to know about the drawbacks before committing to that "style" of caching and being surprised with unexpected difficulties.

A couple more questions (I seem to have an endless supply...thanks for everyone's patience!)

The iPhone lets you switch between a street map and a satellite image (very handy for identifying trees, buildings, etc in relation to the cache site). Is this a common feature on most GPSrs? How is this feature described in a unit's specs so you know if it has this ability or not?

Also, are Magellen units fairly equal in quality to Garmin's? I read in the forum that they've cleaned up their issues with poor customer service, so I'm looking at their Explorist series also. Are they easier to use than Garmins? Which model would be closest to the ETrex 20? Or the Dakota 20?

Thanks again. Someday soon I'll return the favor and answer more questions than I asked--paying it forward so to speak. ;)

If you want to go paperless then don't even think of using a GPS AND a smart phone, well I wouldn't anyway :)

The Etrex 20 doesn't have an 'electronic' compass, it gives a compass like display based on movement, so you just have to walk a few steps so it can work out which way you're heading then it can tell where north etc is in relationship to your movement. I've never bothered to pay extra for an electronic compass, and never regretted not having one. Others swear you 'have to have them'. That of course is pure rubbish.

Thanks for your advice. :). Why would you avoid caching with a GPS and smartphone? I'd like to know about the drawbacks before committing to that "style" of caching and being surprised with unexpected difficulties.

Simply because I wouldn't want to be juggling 2 devices when I'm out walking/caching ... but that's just me :)

That's understandable--thanks. I'm glad to know it's not a technical problem, but will also factor in the juggling issue. In most situations I don't think it would bother me--but it could cause problems in difficult terrain. Thanks again!

Also, are Magellen units fairly equal in quality to Garmin's? I read in the forum that they've cleaned up their issues with poor customer service, so I'm looking at their Explorist series also. Are they easier to use than Garmins? Which model would be closest to the ETrex 20? Or the Dakota 20?

I own several Magellan products including the GC. I also own older Magellan's like the Triton 500 and Explorist 100.

1) I find them equal however a LOT of threads here about GC units refusing to turn on. Both are solidly built units.

2) Customer service - it's improved but still outsourced, Magellan has had several owners over the past few years, and it's current owner is MiTac out of Taiwan. Magellan does have a very friendly and good insider here at the forums who has helped a lot of people with their units.

3) Easier to use then a Garmin? I think Garmin is easier to use, with the GC/310, you will use the click stick a whole, whole lot compared to the Etrex 20.

4) Equal to the Dakota 20 would probably be the 510 (510 has bigger screen). Equal to the Etrex 20 would be the 310. Moving up, a Oregon 550 is the equal to the Magellan 710.

Owning both a Dakota and a GC, I use the Dakota for my serious daily usage from bicycling (my primary use) to geocaching. My GC was collecting dust but I've been playing with it more lately. I think you should go with the Garmin myself, they just work easier. However, if this unit is strictly for geocaching, you won't go wrong with a Magellan 310 or above either.

I own several Magellan products including the GC. I also own older Magellan's like the Triton 500 and Explorist 100.

1) I find them equal however a LOT of threads here about GC units refusing to turn on. Both are solidly built units.

2) Customer service - it's improved but still outsourced, Magellan has had several owners over the past few years, and it's current owner is MiTac out of Taiwan. Magellan does have a very friendly and good insider here at the forums who has helped a lot of people with their units.

3) Easier to use then a Garmin? I think Garmin is easier to use, with the GC/310, you will use the click stick a whole, whole lot compared to the Etrex 20.

4) Equal to the Dakota 20 would probably be the 510 (510 has bigger screen). Equal to the Etrex 20 would be the 310. Moving up, a Oregon 550 is the equal to the Magellan 710.

Owning both a Dakota and a GC, I use the Dakota for my serious daily usage from bicycling (my primary use) to geocaching. My GC was collecting dust but I've been playing with it more lately. I think you should go with the Garmin myself, they just work easier. However, if this unit is strictly for geocaching, you won't go wrong with a Magellan 310 or above either.

Thanks. Yes, the GPS would be for geocaching. The Magellans looked attractive because they interface with geocaching.com and seem slightly less pricey than Garmins w/ similar features. Is it only the GC that won't turn on, or are Magellans more buggy than Garmins?

Thanks everybody for all the advice. I've learned a lot! I'm still looking for info about what GPSr would work well with my iPhone--give improved satellite reception/locking, longer battery life, and compass, but not replicate paperless caching features I already have on my phone. Any suggestions? Thanks--and I promise to stop the flood of questions soon!!! ;)

I'll add just a little bit more. Seems like I've been Magellan bashing so I'll point out one big advantage they have over the Garmin's. They can hold more geocaches, 10,000 and that limit can be changed by editing an ini file on the Explorist. Mind you, I have found around 1,250 geocaches in ten years but I can see why a power cacher would want a large amount stored.

Don't know a thing about smart phone apps, I might be one of the last 100 people in the USA that uses a simple, large keyed cellphone.

I have owned both the GC and now own a etrex 20. Get the etrex..

Both of them are going to feel like a step back in terms of maps, and other functionality of the smartphone, but there are some pretty decent maps out there to be had for cheap/free.

Shaun

Yes, the map quality is another thing I've wondered about (as if there isn't enough to sort out already, lol). The images I've seen of GPS maps are quite different from the iPhone, especially the satellite image. I'm beginning to wish there was a way to amp up the iPhone's satellite locking abilities. Then add an extra power pack & I'd be a happy cacher!

Anybody know why the iPhone's GPS doesn't have the accuracy & locking abilities of a dedicated GPSr (aside from priority/manufacturing issues). Is it due to the satellites it's designed to connect with, power issues...? It's time I eyeballed Wikipedia.

I know others have struggled to decide what GPSr would be their best fit. Somebody could retire in comfort by designing a questionaire to match a shopper's wish list of features with the appropriate GPS make & model. :)

Simply because I wouldn't want to be juggling 2 devices when I'm out walking/caching ... but that's just me :)

That's understandable--thanks. I'm glad to know it's not a technical problem, but will also factor in the juggling issue. In most situations I don't think it would bother me--but it could cause problems in difficult terrain. Thanks again!

We cached for 8 years using a PDA and GPS.....not a real problem but when you can do it all with one unit its so much nicer. Also I really wouldn't want to carry my iPhone on the trail for every cache....things get dropped and it rains and they are just not made for it.

Unless you can walk 5 mph right up to the cache you're looking for every time ( flat land with no obstructions)I'd highly recommend a unit with an electronic pointer...they are great when the going gets rough. I haven't spent much time in the field with a Montana but the Oregon 450 and 62S have solid 3-axis pointers with the Magellan Platinum being the best of all ( the Platinum is an older model and not paperless)...from what I read the Etrex 30 pointer is still unreliable.....its not unusual for newer units to have problems that are corrected with new firmware but I'm beginning to wonder about the 30.

A couple more questions (I seem to have an endless supply...thanks for everyone's patience!)

The iPhone lets you switch between a street map and a satellite image (very handy for identifying trees, buildings, etc in relation to the cache site). Is this a common feature on most GPSrs? How is this feature described in a unit's specs so you know if it has this ability or not?

Many GPS units will allow for satellite imagery. On a Garmin you would look to see if it is compatible with Birdseye I believe. On other brands you would look for terms such as 'color aerial imagery'.

However compared to the satellite imagery you get on an iPhone it is very disappointing.

Satellite imagery takes a vast amount of data. You phone can mostly avoid this issue because it can download the data as it needs it(if you have signal). On a typical handheld GPS unit you would need to preload all that data from home. This is a tedious process because you have to select which tiles of a given area you want, what zoom levels you want and there is sometimes a limit on how much data you can request at one time. So it may take several different data requests to get the area you want covered. Often the servers that offer the data for handheld GPS units are also very slow. So even with a fast home internet connection it can seem like you are trying to download data on an old phone modem. Your handheld device can only store and sort so much. So each time you want to go caching to a new area it means repeating the lengthy process of downloading new aerial imagery to the device before you set out.

The detail level or zoom level for the satellite imagery you can get for a handheld GPS is often very poor compared to the details you can see on the maps on your phone.

iPhone map of a nearby cache

geosatimage.jpg

GPS map of same cache from a PN-40

gpssatimage.jpg

Now image quality is is going to vary by location and provider. But generally the better aerial imagery is going to be on the phone.

Also the imagery is going to cost you. Some companies Garmin and Delorme I know and maybe others offer a yearly subscription to satellite maps for around $30. But like on the Lowrance GPS I have it was a fee per tile when I looked into getting the aerial imagery for it(it may be different at this time).

I am just providing this information so you won't be disappointed like I was when I decided to go to a GPS unit that supported satellite imagery.

I can't speak for the Garmin's but I have experience with the Magellan's.

The day we found our first cache we went right out and bought a GPS. After looking at what was available at the store we went to we bought the eXplorist GC. We haven't had any problems with it dexspite my wifes ability to drop it on anything she can find that is HARD. It has held up very well. After about 6 months of caching with the GC we decided we needed a second GPS (since she was going on a trip and wanted to take it with her and I wasn't sitting at home doing nothing) so she took the GC and I purchased the 710. 510 didn't have a compass so it came down to the 610 and 710. The 710 cost me $50 over the 610 and came preloaded with street maps to support turn by turn navigation. We have now added a Nuvi to our list of GPS so the turn by turn in my 710 is no longer used but it is nice to have. I could have upgraded the 610's map but it would have cost an additional $100 for the street map so the 710 seemed like a no brainer.

I love all the features of the 710....well I love all the features that I use. It has far more than I will probably ever use but as far as Geocaching goes it has served me well. Only thing I don't like is it doesn't work with Wherigo's but I can download an Droid app for that. However since I don't have any Wherigo's near me that too is a mute point. mmmmm.....theres an idea....I could put out the first Wherigo in my area.

Again, I can't compare it to a Garmin but when I have cached with others that use Garmin's I have been able to locate caches just as easily and had the same ability to do anything needed with my GPS. All in all they are probably both great products but everyones opinion will slant a little towards the one they have or use the most.

Things I do like, color screen, Magnetic Compass, on-board camera, SD expansion (not that I use it) WATERPROOF (and it really is...thank god)

I can't speak for the Garmin's but I have experience with the Magellan's.

The day we found our first cache we went right out and bought a GPS. After looking at what was available at the store we went to we bought the eXplorist GC. We haven't had any problems with it dexspite my wifes ability to drop it on anything she can find that is HARD. It has held up very well. After about 6 months of caching with the GC we decided we needed a second GPS (since she was going on a trip and wanted to take it with her and I wasn't sitting at home doing nothing) so she took the GC and I purchased the 710. 510 didn't have a compass so it came down to the 610 and 710. The 710 cost me $50 over the 610 and came preloaded with street maps to support turn by turn navigation. We have now added a Nuvi to our list of GPS so the turn by turn in my 710 is no longer used but it is nice to have. I could have upgraded the 610's map but it would have cost an additional $100 for the street map so the 710 seemed like a no brainer.

I love all the features of the 710....well I love all the features that I use. It has far more than I will probably ever use but as far as Geocaching goes it has served me well. Only thing I don't like is it doesn't work with Wherigo's but I can download an Droid app for that. However since I don't have any Wherigo's near me that too is a mute point. mmmmm.....theres an idea....I could put out the first Wherigo in my area.

Again, I can't compare it to a Garmin but when I have cached with others that use Garmin's I have been able to locate caches just as easily and had the same ability to do anything needed with my GPS. All in all they are probably both great products but everyones opinion will slant a little towards the one they have or use the most.

Things I do like, color screen, Magnetic Compass, on-board camera, SD expansion (not that I use it) WATERPROOF (and it really is...thank god)

There was a time when Magellan ruled the roost...the Meridian was a wonderful series..I have 1 Green, 1 Yellow, 1 Gold, 1 Marine, 2 Colors, and at least 8 Platinums. Only the Platinum had the 3-Axis compass and I got my first one in 2003 after receiving advice on this forum and used it exclusively until about a year ago and still use it occasionally. Back then it was about 50/50 re the Garmin or Magellan. Right about the time Magellan was beginning to get away from the Meridian Garmin came out with the 60 CSx which soon became a hit. Garmin copied the Meridian keypad,quad antenna, and SD card capability but used a quirky 2-axis electronic compass instead of a 3-axis. I bought a CSx for my wife and she began using it exclusively. After abandoning the Meridian , Magellan fell behind and Garmin took a solid lead which it has to this day.

From what you say Magellan may be on its way back to being a major player.....it would make me happy...I need to check out their products.

I'll toss in my 2 cents. I've been using a Magellan Meridian Color since 2005, I also used my Motorola Droid phone also. Well, my interest in geocaching got peaked again and I got to looking at GPS units, after much looking and reading I chose the explorist 710. On the Magellan website they go for $500, i looked on ebay and ended up buying one for $225. Have had it for a week and I cant recommend it enough. It takes some learning but i like tinkering with my toys, its how you learn. People bitch about the camera, i think it does just fine but i also carry a nikon for pictures, people say the video is sketchy, again, the nikon can do that too, havent used the voice memo yet. I love this unit, and NOTHING out there is going to do EVERYTHING we want it to. My phone is my PHONE and back up camera..My camera is my camera and video cam and My 710 is AWESOME! i like more everytime i find something new. If you get this, i would be more than happy to help you learn it. There ya go for what is worth. Enjoy whatever you get and have fun, Darin.P.S., let us all know what you end up with!

Edited by Team Varekai

I'll toss in my 2 cents. I've been using a Magellan Meridian Color since 2005, I also used my Motorola Droid phone also. Well, my interest in geocaching got peaked again and I got to looking at GPS units, after much looking and reading I chose the explorist 710. On the Magellan website they go for $500, i looked on ebay and ended up buying one for $225. Have had it for a week and I cant recommend it enough. It takes some learning but i like tinkering with my toys, its how you learn. People bitch about the camera, i think it does just fine but i also carry a nikon for pictures, people say the video is sketchy, again, the nikon can do that too, havent used the voice memo yet. I love this unit, and NOTHING out there is going to do EVERYTHING we want it to. My phone is my PHONE and back up camera..My camera is my camera and video cam and My 710 is AWESOME! i like more everytime i find something new. If you get this, i would be more than happy to help you learn it. There ya go for what is worth. Enjoy whatever you get and have fun, Darin.P.S., let us all know what you end up with!

Thanks for your 2 cents--your enthusiasm is contagious. :)

If I do get an Explorist, I'll take you up on your offer to show me the ropes (but you've seen how prolifically I can generate questions....maybe you'd like to reconsider?! ;) ). And of course, once I decide on what kind of toy to get, I'll bombard everyone with pricing and vendor questions! I might beg everyone to dig through their tech gear just in case the model I decide on found its way into someone's possession when they weren't looking, lol. Thanks for your info, and happy caching, everybody.

WELL? any decisions made yet?

LOL! Sorry to leave you in suspense: I hope you haven't lost toooo much sleep. ;)

I thought I found THE perfect device: the Magellan Toughcase. It's a protective case with a battery and GPS chip with satellite capture abilities similar to a dedicated GPSr, that attatches to the iPhone, & even provides water protection. (For about $50!) But my delight was crushed when I learned it won't fit my iPhone 4--just the 3.

So. Back to the drawing board. I'm not in a rush to buy (as long as I keep a safe distance from GPS websites). I might "inherit" an iPhone 3 when a family member upgrades (or grab a used one if the price is right) smack a Toughcase on it, and voila--a dedicated GPSr! An iPhone enhancer is my first choice: I like the compass and map quality, especially satellite images, and ease of use (I admit it, I'm a little techno-phobic, and just reading of others' frustrations with learning how to use their equipment can give me a "techno-attack."

That said, I haven't had much luck finding an enhancer as ideal as the Toughcase. So I've put together everyone's generous advice and have a "top 4" list of GPSrs I'm drooling over: eTrex 20, Dakota 20, Magellan GC, and Oregon 450T. I'd like see these (& others) in action--I'll try visiting some retailers & drilling fellow cachers at monthly club meetings.

Thanks for asking! I'll post an update when I settle on a "favorite," or make the leap & BUY! :)

Happy Hunting!