figguring out Cache Sizes

Saddle Mountain Man

OK, so i'm planning a hiking trip up a mountain in June, and i'm planning to place a cache. My guess is that it'll sit there for years and noone will log a find...

But back on topic: I need to clarify the sizing of caches. Guessing from my finds: Micro=35mmfilmcanister, Small=1pint jar, Regular=16 to 32 oz mayo jar, Large= 64oz jar and above. Does this sound right?

I'm planning a cache that's a 32 oz heavy-duty plastic jar, since i can't get anything more into my backpack. Planning on annual trips for maintenance, as i usually hike this particular mountain. I'm on the right track, right?

Rather than plastic (foodstuff) jars, I think you would be better off using Lock & Lock® containers. As far as the larger ones go, they take up about the same pack space, they will nest fine if you plan accordingly AND they are far more UV resistant. Even without threaded tops, they display much more resistance to water intrusion.

Ammo cans of course, can withstand crushing snow depths far better than most all plastic containers.

How 'bout using a pack horse and take some ammo cans?

:)

Not going to address the residual food aroma...

The "What does a geocache look like?" section of Geocaching 101 describes the cache sizes as follows:

micro.gif Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

small.gif Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

regular.gif Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

large.gif Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

other.gif Other - See the cache description for information.

So a 32oz container is just under 1L, and would be a a "small" container.

For a lonely cache in a remote location that isn't visited often, I'd be concerned about plastic degrading. There are smaller metal containers around that might hold up better than a plastic one. If you do use plastic, take steps to protect it from temperature changes and UV exposure.

I'll echo the above suggestions - go with metal containers with a seal when and where you can. If you use plastic - get a lock-n-lock and cover it well with some kind of camo duct tape to protect it from both the elements and UV degradation. My take on the official sizes is:

Large size cache is reserved for truly epic sized caches like a 4 or 5 gallon bucket and bigger.

Regular to me is around a smallish shoebox size up to bucket sized

Small is around a sandwich container sized and slightly +/-

Micro is 35mm film canister or altoids tin and smaller.

I'll echo the above suggestions - go with metal containers with a seal when and where you can.

Besides ammo cans, what other metal container are recommended?

I would not recommend anything tin because they rust up quickly and don't come with a gasket.

One other water tight container that is made of thick plastic would be Pelican cases. Pricey though.

I've seen small size (roughly 1-2 cups in volume) metal containers that were holding up well. They were round, about 1.5in tall. They looked like some sort of military surplus, but I have no idea what they were used for originally.

Recently, I've seen a number of containers similar to the Mighty Mega Cache Container. They're like oversized Bison tubes.

There may be other aluminum containers out there too.

I would not recommend anything tin because they rust up quickly and don't come with a gasket.

Tin does not rust. Only iron rusts.

Me. I like Lock and Locks.

I was thinking about cookie tins, candy tins, altoid tins. I just assumed tins were made of tin.

I agree regarding authentic Lock and Locks (not dollar store knock offs). They're sturdy, long lasting and lightweight enough for a hike up a mountain.

I'm planning to protect this cache by putting it under something, like a rock overhang or in a tree. It should be out of the elements.

I"m certain this mountain is not hiked very often, and who knows how many hikers will even be geocachers. Last time i went up i found a magazine scrap wedged snuggly protected under a rock with the date 1997 visible.

New plan: I may use a glass pickle jar with a plastic-coated metal screw lid. I can't seem to wear these cans out. Slightly larger at 33oz (1L) but quite a bit heavier. May need to replan supplies. I'm not too sure about the seal. Taking from the caches I've already picked up you should ALWAYS put the logbook in a ziploc baggie, other stuff too if it's water sensitive.

Sound like i'm on the right track this time?

Edited by Saddle Mountain Man

I may use a glass pickle jar with a plastic-coated metal screw lid.

Whatever container you end up using, it should never have had food in it at any time, especially when you're going to be leaving it deep in the wilderness with infrequent visits. Animals have a very keen sense of smell and they'll go after it. Just a few weeks ago, when a couple hundred caches were published in conjunction with an annual event in this area, two of the containers had already been chewed on by animals before the FTF even got there.

Personally, I would never use a glass container for a cache. The chances of it breaking are just too high for my tastes. Plastic will deform to a degree, and metal can dent, but glass will just break if stressed. As for the plastic-coated metal, don't rely on the plastic to protect the metal. If the metal isn't something like stainless steel or aluminum, even a small nick in the plastic will mean the metal will start to corrode and eventually fail.

Now that I've sufficiently rained on your parade... :laughing:

My suggestion would be a properly prepared and painted Lock 'n' Lock. I've found many such containers that have been out in the wild for over 10 years without any problems whatsoever.

Taking from the caches I've already picked up you should ALWAYS put the logbook in a ziploc baggie, other stuff too if it's water sensitive.

Sound like i'm on the right track this time?

At least one regular forum member has written this many times....

"If you feel that your logbook needs to be in a Ziploc baggie to protect it - then your cache container has failed at a very basic level."

I hate to say this... because it does sound uppity (though not meant that way)...

You've heard from folks that (collectively) have found over 12,000 caches. Listen to them, please.

Water WILL enter the cache if there is no seal. It's called capillary action. Once inside, it doesn't leave (as a magazine laying in the open air). Things that are built to keep liquids in, aren't necessarily good at keeping liquids out -- strange, but true.

Zip-loc baggies only exacerbate the situation -- paper (as in logbook or logsheet) is the next best thing to a sponge. Once water is in there it stays in the paper and affects everything else locked inside of the cache. Results are mold, rust, slime and whatever else magically grows in water.

One caveat -- if you do find a spot that is very well protected from the elements, some of the more marginal containers will suffice (for a while, anyway). Should the area be confronted with melting snow every year, well... stick with the ammo cans.

OK, so i'm planning a hiking trip up a mountain in June, and i'm planning to place a cache. My guess is that it'll sit there for years and noone will log a find...

So you're planning to make a time capsule?

What do they make time capsules out of?

An old pickle jar?

A plastic food storage container?

Metal. (usually)

Time Capsule Instructions

The most cost-effective, readily available option is an ammo can.

If it's too big to fit in your pack, sling it over your shoulder on a rope.

68b74c46-101c-463c-b71c-2e47db0dc7b0.jpg

The real question is, are you prepared to perform maintenance visits when the cache does go missing, becomes broken, or the contents are damaged due to water?

It WILL happen, and you need to be prepared to deal with maintaining the cache. The suggestions to stay away from cheap plastics and go with an ammo can or pelican box are going to make your maintenance visits fewer and less urgent. Ammo cans that I have hidden rarely have needed regular attention, but still require visits to see that everything is in order.

The real question is, are you prepared to perform maintenance visits when the cache does go missing, becomes broken, or the contents are damaged due to water?

It WILL happen, and you need to be prepared to deal with maintaining the cache. The suggestions to stay away from cheap plastics and go with an ammo can or pelican box are going to make your maintenance visits fewer and less urgent. Ammo cans that I have hidden rarely have needed regular attention, but still require visits to see that everything is in order.

Unfortunately, around here, ammo cans disappear in a matter of weeks. Sturdy plastic containers will last for over five years if they are painted or taped and placed out of direct sunlight. I have ten ammo cans sitting in my shed that I will probably never use for a geocache.

Unfortunately, around here, ammo cans disappear in a matter of weeks. Sturdy plastic containers will last for over five years if they are painted or taped and placed out of direct sunlight. I have ten ammo cans sitting in my shed that I will probably never use for a geocache.

Bummer

Around here, a plastic container will degrade, crack, and leak within a year...no matter how well it's secluded or protected.

Well, maybe it will be OK if you keep it inside your house... :P