Colter's Run (GCG794) Feb 20th

CENT5

Had a couple of DNF's this past weekend on Coulter's Run. (GCG794) It's been over 3 years since I replaced the cache and high time a new box was put in there. I plan on going up early (0600 ish) on Wednesday Feb 20th to replace the cache. If anyone would like to join me and spend a few hours exploring the Skagit Wildlife area. I have room for 2-3 people in my 14ft boat. I would be happy to make the run over to Eraseek's Skagit Delta Labyrinth (CG3A3) while we are up there. Based on projected tides, it might be a little muddy. Any takers.

The wife and I were actually planning a trip up that for the glass ball hunt on Camano. I have altered my schedule slightly as I can't miss on an opportunity like this. Count me in. I live south of Burien in Enumclaw so I can drive up and meet you somewhere. Is this going to be a carpool or are we taking our own vehicles? Also if no one else goes can I bring one of my kids?

This cache makes me wish I could award a favorite point to a dnf. This is one of best locations I have found while out geocaching. It is very tempting to take the day off but unfortunately I already have an installation scheduled at work for that day. Hope the weather is great for all that go.

Okay, looks like I can get the day off.

And now that some people I know are going I'm feeling more comfortable about the trip too.

I currently live on Whidbey Island. I'm wondering if I can meet you somewhere further north. Where will you be launching the boat?

I can either take the ferry over to Mukilteo or I can drive around the top of the island to the Skagit area.

Where are you getting into the boat?

I would try to find a way for Skagit Delta Labyrinth if you did not have so many takers already. Ah man! Cache I want most in the state of Washington.

If there was a bribery factor for you to do a 2nd run of takers for the caches that day, I would happily join in and help pay for the petrol.

Edited by lamoracke

I would try to find a way for Skagit Delta Labyrinth if you did not have so many takers already. Ah man! Cache I want most in the state of Washington.

If there was a bribery factor for you to do a 2nd run of takers for the caches that day, I would happily join in and help pay for the petrol.

Can we squeeze in one more? We're friendly. I'd hate to see Lamoracke get left out. I have my own lifejacket if that's any help.

Edited by Sol seaker

Can we squeeze in one more? We're friendly. I'd hate to see Lamoracke get left out. I have my own lifejacket if that's any help.

well, no sense going past the safety that he thinks is good for his boat. Worst case, we will organize a trip in the summer, I can probably name off 20 cachers who want to do this trip for that one cache. Thing is, it would be cool to do with someone who actually knows the waters.

Much as I'd like to be able to get another into the boat, with 4 adult males it's full. (And a fair bit slower than with 3 as I am not a small man.:) ) I'd be more than willing to do a 2nd run at 11-12 ish provided the 3 people in the 1st lift don't mind. (It's a couple hour round trip Coulters to Skagit Delta Labyrinth and back.) To be honest they would then have time to walk to the other 6 caches in the area. The launch point will be the ramp just a couple hundred feet from Gateway (GC3FCXC). Coming from Whidbey Island your best bet is over the top for sure. If we do decide on a 2nd lift perhaps Sol Seaker would be willing to go on the 2nd lift with lamorake.

Let me put this option out there. I have both the 20th as well as the 21st available to do this. (Unfortunately I do not have a weekend day off for a couple more weeks.) Is the 20th the best day for all, or is the 21st more convenient. (And if we move it to the 21st does it open the opportunity to others?)

Going on the second run with Lamoracke would be great!

I'm not with my calendar, but I think either day works for me.

Thanks so much for accomodating us all!

And thanks for being willing to pick me up at the ferry Lamoracke. That would be great if I could leave my car on the island.

Edited by Sol seaker

That sounds good to me. Thanks

I will bring my expensive life jacket and increase my life insurance.

I've been running small boats on big water for over 48 years. My dad taught me well. I've been hunting the Skagit since 1990 and made these runs in the dark, gale force winds, sleet, snow, hail, floods (That was hairy and to be honest not very bright on my part.) you name it.

Haven't lost anyone yet. :)

The McMorrows if you could be at my place at 0600 please, Jester I think you are on the way up 405 which is my preferred route at that time of the AM. Somewhere we could meet you?

Could you email me the meeting up parking coordinates and a suggested time for us to meet you as well for the second trip? With that in mind, will figure out how to backtrack to see how I can meet up with Sol Seaker and figure out what we can do on our end.

Thank you so much in advance.

Edited by lamoracke

The McMorrows if you could be at my place at 0600 please, Jester I think you are on the way up 405 which is my preferred route at that time of the AM. Somewhere we could meet you?

The Park & Ride on Grady in S. Renton would be an easy spot. I was wondering if carpooling or me taking my own vehicle is best? I can give The McMorrows a lift back if we want to leave earlier than your return from the second trip. We can decide that morning, either is fine with me.

The Park & Ride on Grady in S. Renton would be an easy spot. I was wondering if carpooling or me taking my own vehicle is best? I can give The McMorrows a lift back if we want to leave earlier than your return from the second trip. We can decide that morning, either is fine with me.

We can meet you at the Park and Ride, no problem. If you and The McMorrows would rather leave early while I am doing the 2nd lift, (Which will take a couple of hours) thats fine too. In that case I would suggest the 2 of you get together for carpool arrangements and I'll just meet you all at the Skagit about 0730. Just want to make sure we don't leave anyone behind. :)

Long morning for me this AM. Took Tammy to the ER. (Kidney Stones)

Just to confirm the plan. The McMorrows at my place at 0600, the Jester at the Grady Way Park-n-Ride on the way N. (It's a big Park and ride and I'll be pulling the boat so how about we meet adjacent to the cache thats there. Nothing Special I'll swing in from the south. (Probably 0615 ish)

We should be on the water by 0745 or so. I think we will do Skagit Delta 1st then back track to Coulter's run. We should be done by 10ish. We will meet up with lamoracke and Sol Seeker at Gateway to make the 2nd run.

If there are changes please let me know.

Wow! What a great trip! Thanks, Jim, for doing this. The weather didn't look like it would co-operate, but stayed (mostly) dry for the first run. That was quite an 'interesting' maintenance run: no item at GZ, scouted out a replacement site, and spotted the orginal cache another 40 feet away - over 400 feet from where it was originally! That took a some power to move.

Yes, THANK YOU VERY MUCH Cent5!!!!

I had a blast!!! It was so much fun!!

We saw a lot of bald eagles, Great blue herons, etc.

It added another level of fun to the trip to move from the power boat into the canoe for the one cache.

I had a really great time!!

Thanks so much for inviting us all along!!

(Feel free to let me know when you go out boat caching again :) )