Easy to use smarphone app?

DannyCaffeine

Ok so my Girlfriend wants to get into geocaching (I am a lucky fella :anibad: ) and she has a droid. We got a free app called locus and it is a pain in the butt.

Are there any easy free apps?

Or can someone explain how to use this locus thingy?

Thanks,

DC

I downloaded 2 official apps free tonight on my windows phone I believe the program is still droid thru Verizon

Ok so my Girlfriend wants to get into geocaching (I am a lucky fella :anibad: ) and she has a droid. We got a free app called locus and it is a pain in the butt.

Or can someone explain how to use this locus thingy?

Thanks,

DC

I downloaded 2 official apps free tonight on my windows phone I believe the program is still droid thru Verizon

Or can someone explain how led to use this locus thingy?

Thanks,

DC

Even I am searching for free apps. There are some available but they are not nice. I am searching deep now

Edited by Eugenejones

I used C:geo w my Samsung SCH 1500 yesterday and honestly something was messed up. From minute to minute the compass would point one direction and then another and give from 1 meter to 70 meters to target. Was this the program or the GPS in the phone? I'd like to stay with the phone if I can but not if it won't get me where I need to go.

I used C:geo w my Samsung SCH 1500 yesterday and honestly something was messed up. From minute to minute the compass would point one direction and then another and give from 1 meter to 70 meters to target. Was this the program or the GPS in the phone? I'd like to stay with the phone if I can but not if it won't get me where I need to go.

I'm 99% sure it's the phone. Phone GPS, while perfectly adequate, does not have the reliability of a standalone GPS. I've used several of the geocaching apps and this occurs in all of them. For me, c:geo is a little less buggy in compass mode than the 'official' geocaching app...but only a little. I don't have a standalone GPS device (I can't really justify spending the money on one of those at this time), but I gather they have greater accuracy and stability.

What I tend to do is just get close and if I need that compass, I'll get within ten feet...then back away about 30 or 40 feet and come at the location from a different angle. Sometimes I have to do that a couple times to zero in on the hide if it's not obvious where I should be looking.

I'm 99% sure it's the phone. Phone GPS, while perfectly adequate, does not have the reliability of a standalone GPS. I've used several of the geocaching apps and this occurs in all of them. For me, c:geo is a little less buggy in compass mode than the 'official' geocaching app...but only a little. I don't have a standalone GPS device (I can't really justify spending the money on one of those at this time), but I gather they have greater accuracy and stability.

What I tend to do is just get close and if I need that compass, I'll get within ten feet...then back away about 30 or 40 feet and come at the location from a different angle. Sometimes I have to do that a couple times to zero in on the hide if it's not obvious where I should be looking.

Probably a very good way to hunt them. Thanks

This is likely due to an un-understanding of how your hardware works. Once your phone's GPS has a satallite lock, it should give you good numbers. The bouncing you described is likely due to location estimates based on other hardware (cell tower triangulation/wifi locations). Most phones, in their default settings, will do this untill it has a GPS satallite lock. The compass depends on your phone. Does your phone have a magnetic compass? If not, it is relying on GPS data for direction. This will require a solid satallite lock, and require you to be moving. If your phone does have a compass, make sure that you have calibrated it.

Edited for more information

Edited by Andronicus

I go caching with both a smartphone and a dedicated GPS unit. And I have used 3 different smartphones. It is the nature of GPS technology to get the occasional spurious reading and have the compass and distance/direction jump around a little. Even my dedicated handheld does this. The most accurate smartphone operation will come when turning OFF A-GPS or 'use network' settings as well as turning off WiFi before going caching. Those features are nowhere near accurate enough for geocaching and will actually contribute to your problem.

Some of the smartphone apps have a 'radar' screen to switch to when you get close to your cache. I actually prefer that to the compass/arrow/distance display when getting within 50 feet or so. Give that a try if your app has that.

This app actually gives me great readings and better accuracy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmVjbGlwc2ltLmdwc3N0YXR1czIiXQ..

It serves as the "radar" for c:geo and I also use it for getting coordinates when placing a cache.

There's also a Pro version that allows you to add and store waypoints.