Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spiderteam

I just can't help it.

I know there are a bazillion of the "I passed!" messages, but I can't help it.

I asked a while back about GMRS radios, got a reply that suggested I get both a HAM license and the GMRS. So Santa brought me "Now You're Talking."

I passed the exam -- no problemo -- took the code test, figured I wouldn't pass. As luck would have it, I passed it -- barely. And I mean barely.

Got my call sign a couple of hours ago from the FCC. Now -- I didn't expect it, but boy am I excited! WOW. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, I gotta get me a rig and a shack. Hoo Boy, look out HAMS, here I come!

The spidermom half of spiderteam. KD7UEC

[This message was edited by spiderteam on January 29, 2003 at 09:21 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by spiderteam:

I passed the exam -- no problemo -- took the code test, figured I wouldn't pass. As luck would have it, I passed it -- barely. And I mean barely.

KD7UE

Congratulations on passing, and welcome to another Hobby which can take up time, space and money, if you let it. icon_biggrin.gif

73 de Dave (G0DJA)

AKA Morseman

--... ...--

Morseman

And your license doesn't say -BARELY PASSED-, it says passed! You need to understand, our system of licensing isn't made to prove a level so much as to put you in a position to experiment and learn more. You are expected to grow and learn, your license level only sets you up for that.

I have been an extra since 1990. I am still learning. Even though I makemy living in electronics. That process will end someday. And after that the kids can fight over my equipment.

Congrats, hope to work you on the AO-40 satellite someday.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

The only way anyone knows your test score is if you tell them!

Since you passed the code youput in more effort than most new hams--barely passing or not. icon_biggrin.gif

Hope to hear you on the air.

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

And your license doesn't say -BARELY PASSED-, it says passed! You need to understand, our system of licensing isn't made to prove a level so much as to put you in a position to experiment and learn more. *snip*

As luck would have it, I let my brother (A HAM for 45 years) know I passed my test, so of course he's going to drag out his 10 meter and wants to do some code talking from 3000 miles away. icon_eek.gif

So it looks like I better keep up the code study until I can get competent at 5 wpm at least. Shouldn't take more than a week to get good enough for that.

But right now the big question is .... hmmmm, what to buy. So many toys, so little time, so little money. icon_confused.gif

The spidermom half of spiderteam. KD7UEC

Welcome to the fraternity. You're in for a lot of fun, glad you made the grade.

ScottJ (KD4DCY)

HANDHELD 2m or dual-band radio. For that, I strongly recommend the ICOM IC-W32A. 200 memory channels. Up to 5 watts output. 144 and 440 bands, plus extended receive. I hang it on my camelbak, and with the HM-75 mic, I can control the radio without taking it off. There is a discussion about handhelds for geocaching HERE!

Next, most people seem to get a MOBILE RADIO. Again, 2m or dual band. There are too many to recommend one here. But keep the idea of cross-band repeat function, for use as a mobile extender in mind. You can see that discussion HERE!

Hope reading all of this gives you some ideas. If you want some ideas about how to set up a ham shack, go HERE!

Again, congrats....

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

Why would anyone take a code test, if it's not required for a Tech license?

To gain access to code only frequencies below 50MHz.

It sounds like he may have taken the General test, too. Congrats!