Waymark requirements and descriptions

thatdarndane

I recently submitted a waymark for a historical marker/temple and was declined. I included a detailed description and filled in every blank on the form the site presented. In the email declining the submission it stated that it was now required to have certain information included and I was directed to a more detailed form. Almost all the requested information was in my previous submission in the description. The site really speaks for itself so far as historical interest is concerned. If all this was needed, why isn't the more detailed form accessible with initial submission? If Waymarking is going to make the process increasingly more demanding and intensive there's a good chance that people will not want to go to the trouble of submitting waymarks. I'm sure someone would rather go out of their way to see a stone temple built to honor war veterans than to see a modern seafood restaurant.

Greetings thatdarndane,

I agree that for those new to Waymarking, it can be challenging to navigate the site. Each category has a (sometimes painfully) detailed write-up of what is accepted and what the requirements are. If you don't know to click on the "show more information" link, you can miss out on important information. I'm sorry you found the procedure frustrating, but all of us have dealt with the learning curve on this really fun hobby, and I'm sure others besides me have also missed the link to additional information (until someone pointed it out).

Please don't put down the categories you aren't interested in. One of the great things about Waymarking is that you can pick and choose what interests you, and ignore the rest. If you prefer to waymark historical markers and memorials, stick with that category and enjoy taking pics and documenting those places.

Welcome to Waymarking!

I recently submitted a waymark for a historical marker/temple and was declined. I included a detailed description and filled in every blank on the form the site presented. In the email declining the submission it stated that it was now required to have certain information included and I was directed to a more detailed form. Almost all the requested information was in my previous submission in the description. The site really speaks for itself so far as historical interest is concerned. If all this was needed, why isn't the more detailed form accessible with initial submission? If Waymarking is going to make the process increasingly more demanding and intensive there's a good chance that people will not want to go to the trouble of submitting waymarks. I'm sure someone would rather go out of their way to see a stone temple built to honor war veterans than to see a modern seafood restaurant.

That more detailed information is available and was available with the initial submission. There was a link entitled [show additional information]. When you are submit a waymark to a category you have not submitted to you should click that link to see and understand the requirements. I click that link even now when it is a new category I have not submitted to before or it is one that I have not submitted to in a while. I don't look at it for categories that I have submitted hundreds or thousands to as I pretty much understand what is needed.

A site really never speaks for itself when it viewed online... the waymark description speaks for the location.

If someone is hungry they really may have more interest in a seafood restaurant than a war memorial. If a category does not interest you, don't assume it does not interest others. Ignore the categories that don't interest you and submit to those that do.

Despite several years of Waymarking, I too sometimes still need to check category descriptions. Just this week I found something to waymark, and thought to myself I better check the category write-up to make sure this would be accepted (and it's a category I help manage!).

Occasionally a category will UPDATE their description to exclude/include other things, so double-checking before submitting a waymark is a good idea.

I sympathize with you. It is frustrating to submit a waymark when you have done your best and then have it rejected. It happens to all of us. Sometimes we forget something, or need to add something. Sometimes there are changes to the category that I didn't know about. Maybe the person who reviewed that category was just being too strict and demanding. If the requests seem reasonable, I just make the changes and go on. If the requests seem strange or just onerous, I'm likely not to bother and just go on to the next waymark on my list. Just do the best you can and have fun!