Our first trip to the southwest.

Hammyshell

In July, ten of us will be driving through Denver, to Bryce Canyon Utah, then Sedona Az via the Hoover dam area. We are going to see the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest, then will go to Santa Fe NM for a couple days, and back to Iowa through Amarillo TX and Oklahoma City. Can anyone in any of those areas to tell me about the "not to be missed" geocaches in those areas so we can grab them on the way through. Thank you!

My son recently graduated from NAU at Flagstaff, a.k.a Flag, so I am partial to the area. Flag is cache friendly. You mentioned visiting the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Flag is a great jump off point for both. All the major chains have hotels in Flag and being a college town there are a lot of places to eat and drink (Lumberyard Brewery). Sedona is pricey.

I have listed a few samples. There is a Flg Rt66 series and a Historic Flagstaff series. I have listed one from each.

GC1BD8n – Flg Rt66-4

GC1A2KV HistoricAZ66: Flagstaff Sawmill

Other Flag

GC2KD0F – Chief! My son is the cache owner.

GCZBVO - A Flagstaff View

Sunset Crater and Wupatki

Very scenic NPS area. Nature, volcano and Pre-Columbian Indians. Here are two that will lead you to many others. This is a day trip if you have the time.

GC2ZGWG - Backcountry Biway--Sunset Crater to Wupatki

GCZ5W1 - Wupatki Pueblo Blowhole

Enjoy!

My son recently graduated from NAU at Flagstaff, a.k.a Flag, so I am partial to the area. Flag is cache friendly. You mentioned visiting the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Flag is a great jump off point for both. All the major chains have hotels in Flag and being a college town there are a lot of places to eat and drink (Lumberyard Brewery). Sedona is pricey.

I have listed a few samples. There is a Flg Rt66 series and a Historic Flagstaff series. I have listed one from each.

GC1BD8n – Flg Rt66-4

GC1A2KV HistoricAZ66: Flagstaff Sawmill

Other Flag

GC2KD0F – Chief! My son is the cache owner.

GCZBVO - A Flagstaff View

Sunset Crater and Wupatki

Very scenic NPS area. Nature, volcano and Pre-Columbian Indians. Here are two that will lead you to many others. This is a day trip if you have the time.

GC2ZGWG - Backcountry Biway--Sunset Crater to Wupatki

GCZ5W1 - Wupatki Pueblo Blowhole

Enjoy!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=432f9da0-e4dc-4dd3-910e-c963455e749c

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=15c29439-72eb-4982-8672-90f71328f89f

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3178a9b3-d3bc-491d-b1de-4f90f64a33e7

Any in the Prescott area by 'The Raven'. These are 'a must' and he will even come out with you if you need 'assistance'. Just read the comments and see the favorites. Also consider FB group 'Geocaching-Arizona' for additional recommendations. Very friendly, helpful group.

In Sedona......

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e05bf140-a143-47f3-8ccd-b39dc4e7de36

(no hiking required)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a224e4a3-b53b-4e98-a5f5-33af14f67519

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=228eea69-8a83-4b4c-ad56-3786ca6ad5ce

(easy hike)

Edited by Ahern Clan

In July, ten of us will be driving through Denver, to Bryce Canyon Utah, then Sedona Az via the Hoover dam area. We are going to see the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest, then will go to Santa Fe NM for a couple days, and back to Iowa through Amarillo TX and Oklahoma City. Can anyone in any of those areas to tell me about the "not to be missed" geocaches in those areas so we can grab them on the way through. Thank you!

Check on virtual caches along your route, there were some interesting ones going across Colorado on I-70. At least some of the state parks in Utah had caches in them when we were out there. The Cadillac ranch was an interesting cache by Amarillo. There is also an interesting virtual in downtown Amarillo that has to do with a heavy marble ball about three or for feet in diameter, held up by water pressure you just barely touch it and it will spin. There was also a huge cache outside of the restaurant in Amarillo that is famous for the 72 ounce steaks, I can't remember the name of the place. I hope all of those caches are still there.

I will second what Ahern Clan said about The Raven's caches in Prescott. They are some of the most amazing experiences in Geocaching that I've had in my short time. If you take a look at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=The+Raven&submit4=Go you will see how many favorite points his caches have accumulated. The Raven's Labyrinth and Best Friends are two that absolutely can not be missed, and I still have the two Indiana Jones and the Flame of Chantico (GC2P5PD and GC2P5PR) and the Keyhole on my "must do" list.

If your destination is Sedona, Prescott is about 90 minutes away and well worth the time. Safe travels!

Bryce is amazing. The Avalanche on Wall Street earthcache took us on a very fun route into the canyon, past amazing hoodoos, through a narrow slot.

There is a state park nearby with some great hoodoos as well -- a few caches there. But if you have time, I would swing through Zion. Walking and wading in July up the Zion Narrows was both cooling and one of the more fun things we did through a trip that included Zion, Bryce, and the North Rim. I enjoy the North Rim more than the South, but if you are nearby, then GC7D60 (2 Lookout2 AZ) was fun -- you can climb up to a working fire tower.

The Toroweap Overlook is one of the most incredible places on earth and the One Giant Step virtual is there. It is 60 miles from the nearest polygamists and the road can be treacherous depending on the vehicle. But to me it was a bucket list type of experience. You should stop at Colorado City to pick up a cache there just for the experience. Or eat at the Merry Wives cafe.

On the way towards Vegas, it was great to pass through the Virgin River Gorge (earthcache). I enjoyed Cemetery Ridge just pass there but I especially liked stopping at GCA6F8 (Old Spanish Trail). The earthcaches in or around the Valley of Fire are special. An incredible area.

There are lots of fun caches around Vegas, but One Special Memory (at a drive up wedding chapel) and Pioneer Saloon (a little south of Vegas) are two that should not be missed if you are in the area.

Sedona is beautiful. Lots of canyons. Rocks. Ancient ruins. Vortexes. We found plenty of caches there several years ago and there must be an amazing number there today. Just south of there around Beaver Creek are some of the best Petroglyph panels in the region, with caches nearby,

If you come through Albuquerque, then it might be fun to do the old town ghost tour multi cache. The full ghost tour is even better, but this would give you a taste. And have a meal at the Church Street Cafe.

Near Santa Fe are some of my favorite earthcaches. Heading out toward Jemez you will find some great ones as well. Bandolier was worth a stop.

As others have pointed out, the virtuals in the area are a great way to see a lot of nice things. There are some special ones throughout the whole region.

Edited by geodarts