Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert_Warrior

What you need is another hobby....

Not really, but I thought I might try to stir up the list... AGAIN!!!

I just came home from evaluating some strobe lights. The first is the standard NAVY strobe, uses 1 D-cell. The new one is called the C-Strobe. It runs on 2 AA batteries. You all know how I have been trying to get everything to use the same battery.

The C-Strobe is lighter. But it is rated for a 2 mile range of sight. The Navy unit is heavier, but it is rated at a 3 mile range of sight.

In the dark, at up to several hundred yards, I could see no difference at all. So you all know what I will be putting in my pack tonight. The Navy unit will go in my bug-out kit.

But why do I carry a strobe you ask. Well, here comes the new hobby. We have been at this for years, you too may find it interesting.

We chase weather balloons.

If you have a National Weather Service office near you, twice a day, they launch balloons into the air, up to 20 miles high, where the balloon bursts and the electronics package comes down on a parachute.

The electronics package currently contains the WX section, a battery, and a transmitter. In the next year or so, they will be adding a GPSr to it. They transmit on 1,680 MHz, +/- a bit and dopplar. You will need a receiver like an ICOM R-7000 and a good antenna to hear them.

Sometimes we have had to abandon the jeep and go it on foot for a few miles. We know it will be dark by the time we return. So I have carried and used that strobe several times. You see, I have been doing stuff outdoors long before Geocaching, so my pack has a variety of non-caching stuff in it. Anyway, we put the strobe taped to the antenna on the back of the jeep, so we can find our way back in the dark!

If anyone alse has heard, or can hear the balloons, give it a shot. Soon enough it will be a source for computer-type GPSrs.

Ohhhh... I could tell you stories.... 75mph dashes across the desert, signals lost and found again, near roll-overs, flat tires, accidentally finding an impact zone sign at the local army base, and slowly backing up so we don't hit something. But you need to go make your own stories. It is fun and exciting. Give it a try.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Some of the people I used to work on 10 and 24GHz have been using Lasers to communicate.

No licence required, and the range can be quite impressive!

One guy who used to be very involved was Peter (G3PHO) - URL for his homepage is G3PHO Homepage

and a link about using Lasers to communicate is Amateur Laser Page

Then there are the high power LED lamps which Potholers (speleologists) use to take photos while underground as well.

--... ...--

Morseman

I use a small strobe purchased from a camping store. it takes one D-Cell, is not much larger than the battery, is rated for 2 miles visibility and 60 hours of operation on one battery.

I use it to help track high-powered rockets. Occasionally we have night launches with the smaller rockets, but even in daylight a strobe can make a rocket much easier to track when it is under a drogue 'chute at 5000' AGL.

I am working on putting an ATV payload together for live video--which is also common in balloons.

What does this have to do with geocaching? There is a cache at the edge of the dry lakebed our rocket club launches from.

73's de Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

Some of the people I used to work on 10 and 24GHz have been using Lasers to communicate.

Here one of the most interesting web sites I've found:

Science Toys You Can Build Yourself

Checkout the laser communicator....

ApK

don't they want these things back?

how long does the xmit battery last? i can imagine searching for these by aircraft, then going via jeep/horse/etc to find the package. fun stuff.

The Bigg Family "Delta-S"

quote:
Originally posted by The Delta-S Family:

don't they want these things back?

Well, yes they do. Sort of... We once sent a UPS shipment of them back at our own expense. Must have been 15 or more. Never heard a word.

Mostly, they drop in the desert and are never recovered. What is one more or less?

quote:

how long does the xmit battery last? i can imagine searching for these by aircraft, then going via jeep/horse/etc to find the package. fun stuff.

The Bigg Family "Delta-S"

The battery is a dry-charged unit. They soak it in water for an hour, then pull it out and stick it in a plastic bag. It lasts about 4 to 5 hours max. The balloon TOF is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, so you got to be fast.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

Sorry to ressurect this old thread. Do you know if they launch these balloons in Canada? I live on the west coast of BC and it would be interesting to follow one of these. I have never seen one before but often see weather jets (and their trail) so perhaps they don't launch balloons here. Any ideas on how to find out? Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Acuracura:

Sorry to ressurect this old thread. Do you know if they launch these balloons in Canada

Hmmmm.... I don't know. I would recommend you contact your local weather station and ask them. Just sort of feel them out, ask how they develope their data. If they mention balloons, try to find out which manufacturer and model. Then tou can go to the internet and search for the info.

When those balloons are 20+ miles up, you can hear them a long way away.

El Paso, Texas.

Here's a small site with some info on weather balloon launches:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Missoula/balloon.html

When I took my SkyWarn training, we were told that weather balloons were launched twice a day at the same time, all over the world. I remember them saying that the first launch was at 00:00:00 Zulu (GMT) time, but I don't remember the second time...

KYPoliceStudent

~KG4ZEP