Travel bug on car

Saw_Bones

Not only have I logged numerous car travel bugs, I actually own 3 myself. I find it interesting to see whom I have crossed paths with even when I am not officially geocaching. There are many types and sizes to choose from too. I have one travel bug on each car plus I have the new QR code trackable on my main cachemobile.So if that sounds interesting to you, I say go for it! :D

Many times, we have logged them.

Not usually while going down the road -- it can be tough to read the number from any distance, writing it down is even tougher. :ph34r:

Mostly while the vehicles are parked (most often at geocaching Events -- imagine that!).

I have one on my motorcycle helmet (is a smaller, reflective version). If you happen to get close enough behind me to read it, I am probably going to lose you in traffic. I don't care much for tailgaters. :lol:

--------

Just so's you don't expect it, a Discovery log does not give a location, unless the person filing the log states such, and then it still is not trackable on the map.

Thanks for the quick replies, one of the other reasons I want to get one is to log who is around in my area. I always seem to be in the same area as other cachers (often getting the find right before or after them). I like the idea of the QR code as its easier to scan on a mobile.

In regards to the discovery log, how is the bug trackable then? I'm new to the auto ones.

Edited by Saw_Bones

It is trackable in the sense that it is tied to that cacher's account. Most people when logging them state where they saw it. Such as "I saw you going south on 4 (or west on 408)" (I looked at a map of your area. ;)) When the owner reads the log, they know you crossed paths during the days travels. The owner also may choose to have their car travel bug "visit" the caches they find so it has a map of where it's been for others to see. I don't do every cache I find, however I do log it into every event I attend, as long as I took that car to the event.

In regards to the discovery log, how is the bug trackable then? I'm new to the auto ones.

If you log a "Visit" at caches, you'll have a reference point when someone "discovers" it (between visits of Cache X and Cache Y, or at a cache). Even if it's not at a cache, people usually mention where they saw it, at least which street.

Edited by kunarion

I have a TB on my car-and the same number on my shirt. Around here all the regulars have logged the vehicle and Tshirt TBs so it only gets logged as visited XXX cache and only discovered at the large annual event-unless someone new happens to be around. For myself, It's more to ID myself and vehicle as a geocacher.

It is trackable in the sense that it is tied to that cacher's account. Most people when logging them state where they saw it. Such as "I saw you going south on 4 (or west on 408)" (I looked at a map of your area. ;)) When the owner reads the log, they know you crossed paths during the days travels. The owner also may choose to have their car travel bug "visit" the caches they find so it has a map of where it's been for others to see. I don't do every cache I find, however I do log it into every event I attend, as long as I took that car to the event.

Okay, I am just not figuring this one out - I have a car travel bug, but I don't know how to log a "visit". I know it's in a drop down menu somewhere that has to do with "no action", but I just can't find it. Please help :) Thank you

Okay, I am just not figuring this one out - I have a car travel bug, but I don't know how to log a "visit". I know it's in a drop down menu somewhere that has to do with "no action", but I just can't find it. Please help :) Thank you

When you log a cache, scroll to the bottom of the screen. There, you will find all trackables in your INVENTORY. Use the drop-down window selection for Visit.

Aside from seeing/logging them at events, I once got stopped behind another cacher at a traffic light who had a TB sticker on their back window. I've never met them in person, and it was just a random day as I was driving home from work. Since the light is long I had time to safely make note of the TB code.

I once got stopped behind another cacher at a traffic light who had a TB sticker on their back window. I've never met them in person, and it was just a random day as I was driving home from work. Since the light is long I had time to safely make note of the TB code.

I was behind an SUV with a highly reflective TB sticker, one night at a stop light. The Tracking Number was completely washed out by the reflection. It was the kind of sticker with a thick border around the numbers, so that was just a bright blur. I sat there for a couple of minutes, then almost got out of my car to go try to read it close up, when the traffic light changed.

sooo...we're NOT allowed to take the car and move it to another location? :shocked:

I've had our car "taken" a few times because of the sticker. Always by someone I know and always for a laugh.

Cheers,

PandA Inc

If your car/trackable is muddy, can i post a "needs maintenance" log?!

;)

sooo...we're NOT allowed to take the car and move it to another location? :shocked:

I've had our car "taken" a few times because of the sticker. Always by someone I know and always for a laugh.

Cheers,

PandA Inc

If your car/trackable is muddy, can i post a "needs maintenance" log?!

;)

Good one wmpastor!! Unfortunately we don't have the car anymore but if you had logged a 'needs maintenance" on my dirty car I'd have a good laugh ... and probably wash it. Mind if I use the idea?

Cheers,

PandA Inc.

Thanks for the quick replies, one of the other reasons I want to get one is to log who is around in my area. I always seem to be in the same area as other cachers (often getting the find right before or after them). I like the idea of the QR code as its easier to scan on a mobile.

GxPROXY makes one with a qrcode that can be scanned in a parking lot but with the largest decal being 4" x 24" can also be loggeed by a person who see it on the highway. I have been "discovered" on the highway a number of times on the way to and from events.

We just sold our Jeep, does anyone know of a way for us to order the exact same code on a new vehicle travel bug? I'm hoping to just "replace" the bug on the new Jeep.

Thanks!

Yep, we do them at Shop.gxproxy.com ( you can choose the new size) and your local sign shop could also do them for you.

We just sold our Jeep, does anyone know of a way for us to order the exact same code on a new vehicle travel bug? I'm hoping to just "replace" the bug on the new Jeep.

Thanks!

Yep, we do them at Shop.gxproxy.com ( you can choose the new size) and your local sign shop could also do them for you.

Cache Advance will make replacement car travel bugs as well.

I hope no one feels like I'm hijacking the thread but I"m soooo confused. I bought a mobile travel bug and have no idea how to use it lol

I don't know how to "drop it".

Can someone help this newbie???

When you type a log for cache, you have a couple of options available for your car TB, in a drop-down menu at the bottom of the log page. One idea is to select “Visited”. That both “drops” your TB into the cache and “retrieves” it again. You may do that for every cache, or just for notable ones. Other cachers may log that they "discovered" it.

I hope no one feels like I'm hijacking the thread but I"m soooo confused. I bought a mobile travel bug and have no idea how to use it lol

Not a problem! I have one on both of our vehicles (well, need to replace it on one of them obviously). But they just stay in inventory and and you mark visited to the caches/events you go to. I have my car's travel bug visit every cache/event I take my car too.

When you type a log for cache, you have a couple of options available for your car TB, in a drop-down menu at the bottom of the log page. One idea is to select “Visited”. That both “drops” your TB into the cache and “retrieves” it again. You may do that for every cache, or just for notable ones. Other cachers may log that they "discovered" it.

Im new to the Travel Bug too. Just put a window sticker on my car. When a person logs it or Discovers it, is there a way to attached GPS location data? Other than "I saw at McDonalds on Hwy 1." I'd like to see location data so I can map where people have seen the bug.

Im new to the Travel Bug too. Just put a window sticker on my car. When a person logs it or Discovers it, is there a way to attached GPS location data? Other than "I saw at McDonalds on Hwy 1." I'd like to see location data so I can map where people have seen the bug.

The website utilizes coordinates, without coordinates it cannot place the vehicular TB.

Discovery logs, not being logs @ cache placements (coordinates), have no means by which to compute direction nor distance, thereby it cannot tell you "where".

Unless the person who logged the Discovery tells you where, you are outtaluck.

Sorry.

We have had one for a few months on our primary geomobile. I hope to have a second one soon (my birthday is coming up!) ph34r.gif I have been to a few geo-events in the meantime, and I must say I'm disappointed that there hasn't been too much activity on the logs. I guess we're the only one walking up and down the rows of cars looking for them at the events. While it hasn't gotten too much logging, it has been a great conversation starter; a great way to introduce people to geocaching. My wife has used it to get two of her coworkers into the game.

I myself just a few months ago purchased the vehicle TB sticker. I at first was not aware of exactly how it worked, so had to modify my TB page for it. I thought that you could somehow attach it to the nearest cache to where it was spotted, this turns out to be a wrong assumption on my part. So now it is just for discovery with a quick description on where it was spotted. I was having it visit caches I drove to, but now have a specific coin for that purpose, so I am thinking I will leave it for discovery and maybe to log events attended.

I opted for the non reflective sticker just in case I was spotted in traffic at night to make it easier to read. to date I have only had 3 discoveries logged (I think). I will have to check on that again to be sure.

When I got mine, I knew not to expect a lot of logs on it and regard it more as a novelty than a trackable. In fact after I clean up the logs, I will have to move it back to my collection to keep it from being taken.

Aside from mine, I have not seen any others in my area. But I will see when I can get to an event with more cachers present.

Edited by SirBowen