Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert_Warrior

What do you use, part 2

OK, lets try to stir up some more discussion here. We covered the handheld question pretty well. Lets go on to another topic.

What mobile radio do you use? Will it cross-band repeate? Do you often use it for cross-band repeate while Geocaching? Do you do something else not ordinairly done?

Lets hear about it.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

I am hoping we all can trade some ideas here, you learn from me, and I learn from you. So lets get started.

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

What mobile radio do you use?

I use an ICOM IC-901A multi-band radio. In its current configuration, it covers 28 MHz, 50 MHz, 144 MHz, 220 MHz, 440 MHz, and 1260 MHz. It also has the receiver module on-board, so it receives basically from 0.5 MHz to 1000MHz, with some breaks in the TV bands. The entire RF section is remotable from the control head, so it can be placed under the seat or hidden away with only the controller and mic visible.

quote:
Will it cross-band repeate?

Yes! It will cross-band repeate on any two selected bands, including using the receiver module as one. But since the receiver module will not transmit, its use is somewhat limited there.

quote:
Do you often use it for cross-band repeate while Geocaching?

My usuall configuration is the normal 144-440 cross using one side on simplex and the other side on repeater to allow me to work the repeater while Geocaching inside the canyons of the Franklin Mountains.

quote:
Do you do something else not ordinairly done?

Yes. One time even the jeep was parked in an area where it could not hit the repeater. For that day, I set the home radio to cross-band repeate, set the jeep to cross-band repeate in the middle, and used my handheld to talk to the jeep. The handheld was on 146.52 dimplex. The jeep was on cross-band from 146.52 simplex to 446.050 simplex. The home station was on cross-band from 446.050 simplex to 147.160 repeater. It was great fun.

I have also set the jeep up to cross-band from 146 to 29.600 or 52.525 and worked 10m or 6m DX from the handheld while hiking. I get lots of comments from the DX stations on my unique configuration.

What do you do?

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

WHEN I get a mobile I plan doing something like this I think... I just need more money!

Noel W8TVI

I usually carry an Alinco 2m/440 HT and have the Yaesu 2m/440 mobile crossbanding to a local repeater.

I carry a 2/440 hand held most places. However I like QRP best for field work. I use an FT-817 with several antennas. I have an FT-840 for the home rig.

Michael

KA7PLE

quote:

What mobile radio do you use? Will it cross-band repeate? Do you often use it for cross-band repeate while Geocaching? Do you do something else not ordinairly done?

I use either a TH-D7E (which I beacon on APRS on 2M and chat on 70cm, sometimes via IRLP nodes) or an ADI AT-600D. Both of those radios are Handhelds, but plug into a cigarette lighter socket.

I have used an Icom IC706MKIIG on HF and VHF/UHF in the car, but was dissapointed with the results. I did work some interesting "DX" but it took so long to get an answer to a CQ call. One day I drove 75 miles, in two hours, and made just two contacts!

From home I've put a 2M to 20M cross band link for APRS, run a 70MHz (4M) beacon and I'm currently experimenting with 5MHz (60M). I've also built gear for 10GHz and 24GHz, but only simple Wideband FM stuff, I have bounced CW signals off the Auroras on 2M and 6M (often using under 5 Watts) and via Sporadic-E modes of propagation as well. I have a Notice of Variation for 73kHz, but not had time to do much on that band lately!

Since I'm being made redundant at the end of December, maybe I'll have more time for Geocaching and Amateur Radio? icon_biggrin.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

I use an old "battle-tank" RAT-SHACK HTX 202 HT while geocaching. I'de like to get something dual band to cross band repeat to the mobile when in those "remote" areas. I use a Icom IC706MKIIG in the mobile for hf. I don't know if it is cabable of cross band repeat. I bought it used with no book, as I was able to work all the controls from being a previous owner of the origional 706. So.... anyone know if the latest incarnation of the 706 does a cross band repeat?

As far as the poor mobile performance experienced by the last poster... can't say as I have any complaints about mine, really. The recieve is a bit "noisy" compared to other rigs I've run, but it seems to transmitt quite well. Alot of the performance issue is probably due to your antenna. I use a modified High Sierra screwdriver type antenna, with a longer whip, and a more robust impedence matching network. I usually have folks say they can't believe I'm only running 100 watts. But on the other hand, Im 15 feet tall going down the road on 80 meters, and the base of the antenna is 18 inches above ground level.

Use a FT-100 (well I will use it when I get in the truck(dakota) Got it at Dayton in 2000 but have not fired it up yet(hope it works) pd 950 for it - Oh well.. Got burned out on ham radio for a while but it's like riding a bike it's in the blood! 73' KB2DNL

Icom 2100h (25n) operating in the green display

mode...amber is too rough on the night vision goggles. Choice of antennae is a trunk lip mounted Radial/Larsen 5/8 nmo 150b. Sometimes I run the RadShack htx-200 for qrp. KD7KYU

I run a Yaesu VX-5R for an HT, Icom IC706MKIIG for mobile & Kenwood TS-2000 in the shack. The antenna collection grows on a regular basis. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

--N2GLS--

Sorry, I’m partial to Class C plate modulation. Kind of hard to do that mobile and still be heard, but I like the way the military solved that problem. They towed a large generator on a trailer. Cool!

quote:
What mobile radio do you use? Will it cross-band repeate? Do you often use it for cross-band repeate while Geocaching?

I use a Yaesu FT-90 for my mobile radio which is a dual band but does not cross band repeat icon_frown.gif

quote:
Do you do something else not ordinairly done?

Not yet.

icon911.gif

beerchug.gif

Hey Mike KD9KC, Well I read your post and you sounds like you have they right combo going on doing the cross band rept thing. My Next rig in the truck will cross band. That's what i have wanted for some time. My rigs are a ADI 50 watt 2mtr rig in the turck, along with a Old Knwood TS-120s hF rig to run hf mobil. HF mobil is a blast. I have worked Japan & Australia on my way to work in the mornings. Worked others as well. I have a dual band HT and I take with me when I go caching. most of the time you will not I repeat will not be in repeater range around here Caching. So I general take it and I also have a FRS radio i throw in my backpack as well. The crossband repeat will work in some places down here. In someplaces it will not. So as it is for the most part you are on your own. Cell Phones will not work in the Forest area and around smalllll towns and in Rual parts. so Pretty much what you said , on another post i cant remember which one, you do what works and were people hang out If your are by yourself, most of the time I dont go by myself. Crossbanding is the way to go or APRS is also a good way to go. Anyway my two cents worth. I stole that line. vry 73's and hope to hear you on the bands one day.

WV5V

Continouswave

Mississippi