Garmin Etrex

saunders family

If you don't get the answers you need from the video it may be worth looking on Garmin's website to see if you can find a match to the model you have. I know the user manuals for the etrexs are not that helpful but someone with the same model may be able to give you better advise.

If you don't get the answers you need from the video it may be worth looking on Garmin's website to see if you can find a match to the model you have. I know the user manuals for the etrexs are not that helpful but someone with the same model may be able to give you better advise.

Thanks i tried the website and the video. but thanks for the help

What you want to do is called projecting a waypoint. Just for the record.

That's what i thought but it will only let me put in miles not feet

But thank you for the help

Beth

Did you actually try to poject a waypoint?

When you project a waypoint with the new eTrex units, you set the bearing, then you have to choose the unit to use for the distance you are going to enter: Miles, Yards, Feet, Kilometers, Meters, Nautical (nm).

Note this is different than setting the units used system wide for general display and calculations. If you do not have this choice, it is a simple matter to convert the feet to a decimal fraction of a mile.

Edited by GeoTrekker26

Beth

Noooo, you are not restricted solely to miles. Besides, your unit already knows things like there being 5,280 ft per mile.

I think you need to walk your way through the menu(s) of your GPSr a few times. It operates within statute, nautical and metric parameters; time zones, Zulu time and 24-hr clock, also. You just need to tell it which one.

Beth

When you project a waypoint with the new eTrex units, you set the bearing, then you have to choose the unit to use for the distance you are going to enter: Miles, Yards, Feet, Kilometers, Meters, Nautical (nm).

Note this is different than setting the units used system wide for general display and calculations. If you do not have this choice, it is a simple matter to convert the feet to a decimal fraction of a mile.

Yes i ACTUALLY did try. just for the record. i have an old gps it does not have all the new features but thank you for you advise

Beth

Yes i ACTUALLY did try. just for the record. i have an old gps it does not have all the new features but thank you for you advise

Since you already know the starting coordinates, there are many sites online that will project the new waypoint for you, using whatever unit of measurement that you need. You can also look for a Windows program called Fizzycalc.exe, which will do all kinds of neat things with coordinates.

If you have an older yellow Etrex you can project at .1 mile or .1 km depending on if you have your gps set to statute or metric. Neither gets you all that close but maybe close enough that you pace the remaining distance or use some other method to get closer.

To project page to your list of waypoints. Highlight and click the waypoint you're at. At the bottom of that page will be a "project" button. Highlight and click that button and it will take you to a page where you can enter the distance and the degrees. In your example you would need to convert your 7000 ft to tenths of mile which you would enter as 1.3 mile. That would get you within approximately 132 ft of the cache.

If you have an older yellow Etrex you can project at .1 mile or .1 km depending on if you have your gps set to statute or metric. Neither gets you all that close but maybe close enough that you pace the remaining distance or use some other method to get closer.

To project page to your list of waypoints. Highlight and click the waypoint you're at. At the bottom of that page will be a "project" button. Highlight and click that button and it will take you to a page where you can enter the distance and the degrees. In your example you would need to convert your 7000 ft to tenths of mile which you would enter as 1.3 mile. That would get you within approximately 132 ft of the cache.

Thank you. I figured it out last night by doing that. Thanks everyone for all your help with this.

Happy caching

Beth