Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ericgps

Home Made GPS Antenna?

I'm a ham but very new to using a GPS. I am having fun with my newly purchased Garmin GPSMAP76S. I would be interested if any of you other hams have made your own external GPS antenna and would you share your results on your success or failure and the process you used to develop it? Any plans on the web?

Thanks,

EricGPS icon_smile.gif

I don't have time to point you to the threads. Try a search for it.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

You can look around the web for 1.2GHz ham band antennae, and simply adapt to a slightly higher frequency.

Turnstyle, or Moxon Turnstyle, might be an easy to build design that would yield good results. Of course, it would be several times the size of your GPSr, but the performance could be much better than the stock antenna.

Check this out:

http://www.cebik.com/ms2.html

It does take very meticulous building practices at these frequencies. A very small variation in size is a significant fraction of a wavelength. If you have made two meter and 440 antennas, it is another step down in physical size. It can certainly be done, and receivers are usually more forgiving than transmitters.

Hope this gives you a useful idea or two!

73's de Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Ericgps:

Any plans on the web?

You could try scaling the following down.

cvlqfa antenna

The design shown is for 137MHz but, with care, you could make one for the GPS sats frequencies.

It looks similar to the type that are encased in the Garmin antennas on the GPSII/III/V series units.

Alternatively, rob one of the magnetic antennas from an old Aisin board. These were sold off very cheaply, and I just put a BNC on the end of the coax. instead of the propriatry plug supplied. It works quite well.

--... ...--

Morseman

Buy one on ebay.

You can often buy one for under $10, especially if it has a non-standard connector. Thats what I did. The average buyer does not know how to cut off and put on a new connector like we hams do, so they don't bid.

Just look at the voltage and current specs. Most small amplified antennas will probably work with your GPSr.

quote:
Originally posted by dustyjacket:

Or, spend $25 and buy one.......

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

You simply do not understand ham radio.

We're talking a mindset that sees value in spending weeks to repair a $10 radio...

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Trav'lin Two:

It fits in a 8oz butter container.

Cool!

I see it now: driving down the road, mapping new teeretories with an 8oz butter tub clamped to the roof of my car......

No, I guess I don't understand the mindset. No biggie. Have fun. If you need one, I can empty the chili out of my butter tub and send it to you.

icon_biggrin.gif

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

Hey, send the butter tub with the chili in it. I like good chili.Driving around with a butter tub on top of your car is no sillier than walking around looking under bushes and rocks talking to yourself!

quote:
ARRL published an article on how to make an antenna HERE. It fits in a 8oz butter container.

This looks like a winner for me. Thanks for pointing put the article. However, I might spend a little more money and skip the butter container and use one of those new Glad containers that are somewhat transparent. I would think it would be much cooler to display the inner workings of my handy-work. Yes, some of you are right that I could go out and purchase an already made unit, but I have more fun making my own even though it might take a little time. Thanks again for all the suggestions! icon_smile.gif