What was your first geocaching log?

gpsblake

Here is mine. #GCB0CC (discontinued)

2/4/2003 - This was our first geocaching hunt for me and my 8 year old daughter. Had no problems finding it. My daughter took a pony tail thing, we left a new pen and some lighters. I am very familiar with this area and I highly recommend continuing to follow the blue blazed 1.5 mile loop trail to Little Peachtree rock (and lots of other rock formations)which is my favorite part of the trail and the most isolated. The waterfall (a trickle but the only natural one in the Midlands) makes for an excellent cooldown in the summer.

And my unit was the original Etrex yellow, no WAAS, or other goodies.

----------------------------------------------------

I noticed quite a few people have quit geocaching during the time going by the previous logs.

Edited by gpsblake

GC43FMA 01/05/2013

Thanks for the hide. I was very excited to be FTF on my very first cache. Really glad I got the email about it being published right before I left the house on todays adventure

For anyone who started 2010 or later, it was "TFTC" or "Found it". I can work that peeve into just about any thread, can't I? :laughing: Just kidding, of course the log I'm quoting is from a guy who started last year.

This has come up before, and I'm kind of embarrassed with my first log, because I corrected the poor guy for naming his cache after the wrong abandoned RR, and named it after another one a few miles up the road. Someone could look it up in my profile if they're really interested. One thing I notice looking it over again, I had read up on Geocaching for a couple weeks, and didn't actually create the account until the day I found the first cache; I actually used the word "muggle" in my log. Interesting too that FiremanFIFL knew what FTF was in his first log.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Webster's Falls Hike GC697 December 24, 2001

We noted the beautiful falls and that we had no idea that such a large waterfall existed in our area. We also noted ground conditions, what we took and what we left, that we tried to take a photo with the camera but the advance wouldn't work. We had a fancy new Garmin V so we also left our lat/long reading hoping it would be useful for the next finders. 127 word count log.

Edited by L0ne R

01/04/2007

First cache ever!

Nice cache to get an initial feeling of both the GPS and GeoCaching itself. Of course the sunny warm weather, the smell of the woods and the ghost of a fleeing deer made it a nice afternoon trip.

Finding the cache was easy, taking a picture proved more troublesome...

Here's mine from 4/20/2002, GCLQTC7 Calico Ghost Town Cache still active.

"Midnight, my black Lab, and I had no trouble finding this cache. It was right where your cordinates said it would be. Took the plastic egg with the fake spider inside and left a large paper clip and a milk bone for the next dog ."

Ten Years later on 4/20/2012 I visited it again.

"Ten years ago I tried out this new thing called Geocaching and "Calico Ghost Town Cache" was the very first cache I looked for and found. So What a great way to celibrate 10 years then going back to where it all started!

This time I took The 1st Mate instead of Midnight, my dog who has gone on to the great cache in the sky, and found the cache just as easy as 10 years ago. Neat that this cache has been around so long and the original log with my entry was still there!

Anyway this was the first find ever and the first today. Grabbed a TB.

TNLNSL

Thanks for the Great Cache which is in great shape and right where it belongs.

Happy Geocaching!

Capt Nemo and The 1st Mate."

My first cache was 'Back in the Saddle Again', GC387

My first find! Spent a lot of time scrambling around up in the 'saddle' before the find. I've been riding (Mt. Bike) in this area for 6 years so you'd think I'd know the terrain better! Log was wet, can dented, not sealing. I placed it top down to prevent rain entering. TN/LN/SL

Paint cans were a popular container, and since they kept the paint in everyone assumed they would keep water out...they don't.

Of the eight caches I found that day, this is the lone survivor.

Mine from 3/27/02

I just got home after taking this short hike in the Big Thicket. Weather was beautiful, temp about 70. I got somewhat close with my GPS but after about 20 minutes of looking and not finding anything, I decided to narrow down to the precise coordinates. Less than 5 minutes later, I found the cache. Picked up the fishing lure and left behind my Old Timer lockblade knife. Was first time for doing this and it was a blast.. Thanks for the fun!

"Was here around noon, 23 Nov 2002. Approached the cache from the Yamuga railway station on foot without any problems, chose another route to return to the same station. It was an easy find. Great place for those who like to have a rest enjoying nature, a river and a beautiful pine forest. Although there were too many people. Took one of those green frogs (one with an ice axe), left a CD-RW. Thanks for the cache".

The toy frog was very much alike the Geocaching symbol :) Sadly, I don't remember what happened to it later. The cache is still alive.

Edited by -CJ-

GCQJ2V I Love Chicago! - Neighborhoods - Andersonville: This was my first attempt at finding a cache and was successful! I live over in Edgwater, so this was a good one for my first.

Interesting that this cache is the first or second for many cachers. What's more interesting is how many of those only went on to find a handful of caches and then apparently quit. It was placed 9/10/05, has 279 finds and is still going strong. The owner is one of the better cachers in Chicagoland and always does a great job with maintenance of all his caches.

GLRG9K2 "Not Your Garden Variety Cache" is still active (although it has required quite a bit of attention from the owner).

"This was our first cache. What a beautiful park in January. We took the deck of cards and left a keychain flashlight and a Battlebots Winner pog from Jabberwock the battlebot season 4.0 in San Francisco. Logbook is totally full we were the third to sign on the back cover. Thanks for the cache. We are hooked!"

We were right about being hooked on caching. This first cache was part of the reason, as it is a special container in a beautiful park and really made us appreciate the sport.

Colonial Cats found Mirabella's Micro

Friday, 28 September 2007Virginia NW 0.3 mi from your home location

This is the first find for the Colonial Cats! As it turns out, this cache is only 0.3 miles from our home. We did this at 08:45 am so there were not many muggles around. The cache is in good shape. SL and returned as found. TFTH!

West Tyson 1 (GC15B) - Found 1/27/2001

This was my first cache. It took a little while to get the correct bearings and the cache was hiden well. Took our picture and left a lottery ticket.

Interesting the cache had been archived back in 2002 and converted into a Letterbox (I think before Letterbox caches were available) but people are still logging it as a find.

Note - Left the typo as is.

07/24/2004 Hilltop Toybox Cache GCJF0R, about 76 miles from my home location...

This was my very first geocache find, and I love the game. After starting off on the wrong side of the lake (maps are for sissies, haha), I soon made my way around to it. That steep hill nearly killed me (I'm so out of shape!), but it was worth it. Saw a black snake, the kind that is nonpoisonous but rattles its tail in the dry leaves to sound like a rattler, right near the cache. I thought about leaving it in the cache for the next finder (haha, j/k), but I left it alone.

T: pack of mini-jets/ L: Tropicana race car/ SL

GC43FMA 01/05/2013

Thanks for the hide. I was very excited to be FTF on my very first cache. Really glad I got the email about it being published right before I left the house on todays adventure

For anyone who started 2010 or later, it was "TFTC" or "Found it". I can work that peeve into just about any thread, can't I? :laughing: Just kidding, of course the log I'm quoting is from a guy who started last year.

This has come up before, and I'm kind of embarrassed with my first log, because I corrected the poor guy for naming his cache after the wrong abandoned RR, and named it after another one a few miles up the road. Someone could look it up in my profile if they're really interested. One thing I notice looking it over again, I had read up on Geocaching for a couple weeks, and didn't actually create the account until the day I found the first cache; I actually used the word "muggle" in my log. Interesting too that FiremanFIFL knew what FTF was in his first log.

I too did a bunch of reading before I started, only because I was waiting for my GPS to arrive

Funny you should ask: my first log was a DNF complaining about all the PO at GZ. I'd forgotten about that inauspicious start until you brought it up. Thanks a lot.

My first was a DNF as well.

Didn't find it

01/05/2007

I think I was standing right next to it but there were lots of muggles about. This was actually my first attempt at geocaching (found another one .3mi to the north. My wife kept suggesting using a stick...from another log maybe I should have listened to her. Got email from FoxPro later letting me know that it was missing and has since been replaced...again. Will go back to officially log the find.

For anyone who started 2010 or later, it was "TFTC" or "Found it".

Mine was "TFTC". One month later, when I discovered that Cache Owners might prefer more, I changed them all (a dozen or so that I had found in that time) to something relevant to the cache trip.

I would prefer more of a quote, so people know how I went on to say I was kidding. :lol:

I am glad to hear both you, and Roman! (whom I'm not quoting) went back and edited the logs. I don't believe I have ever seen anyone in my area do this. They generally get a clue after a few hundred finds and a premium membership and cease their lame logging ways, but I've not seen any edits. Of course there's that guy who has never attended any events (i.e. presumably hasn't met any Geocachers, or discussed Geocaching) who is still dropping TFTC on everyone after 1,600 finds. I'm leaning towards his only physical cache hide receiving a blank find log from me in the future. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I had actually found a couple caches by this point- my first one by accident - but this was the first one I logged:

GCGEZG "Sgt Worley"

don't have a gps, but know this area well enough that i can often find the caches anyway. a beautiful day in the sunshine today! i left a map of the area with bonus features added on to it.

And it's true - no GPS, but I had lived in those woods for about 6 years at that point and knew the trails and terrain like the back of my hand. :)

Edited by redwoodkestrel

Coming up on six years since we found Goethestein.

Found it, for our first cache and first travel bug! Woohoo! Good times. I did a literal translation of the page and ignored my GPS reading -- oops. Took us a while as a result, but we found it.

In: Yellow bracelet, U.S. Army button; Out: TB "Flacher Stein"

TFTC! - Hzoi

Apparently I edited the log entry twice since then. Once was probably to dip our personal tracker coin; the other might have been to dip our world travel coin.

A nice one to have as a first cache find: GCT507

Found because zacchini was looking for it. My first! Didn't sign book though; will next time through. Thanks for getting me started zacchini!

-----------------

Unfortunately, I left out some details from my log. That day I was part of a small meetup hiking group. One of the hikers showed up with two geocache printouts, and wanted to look for those geocaches along our hiking route. I was the only other hiker that had heard of geocaching, but that was the extent of my knowledge at the time. Without using a GPS, we DNFed the first one. But I managed to locate the Vista Point Letterbox using the hint. Two days later, I returned solo to the area to give the DNFed cache a more thorough search. And found it!

So I signed up with an account, and found a number of hides without a GPS, before learning on the forums that I could program the coords into a Forerunner. Oddly enough, the person that started me geocaching has only that single first find listed on his account.

It appears our first day we didn't log anything as we had gps issues, terrain issues or simply DNFs. So our first log is from the second day out.

"Only our 2nd day out and this one was our very 1st find.

The SO had uncovered it and didn't realize she had done

so until I said there it is. Put it back in the same spot

where plafulotter replaced it, looked like a good spot for it to be."

We much later adopted this cache as the original owner had moved out of town.

We didn't wish to see it become defunct, so it is still quite active to be found as newer people join the game.

Back in 2006, when I was part of Team Muppet

CoCPLC2: On the Top, GCPDAJ

First find for Team Muppet!

Pretty ingenious location, loved the find.

There were quite a few muggles around, but they paid their parking lot tickets and walked off.

Another muggle-ish male was walking back and forth around the location carrying a black bag. He may have been a fellow Geocacher.

Once we located the cache after about 15 minutes of muddlign around waiting for the perfect opportunity to pounce.

Gonzo (aka Geoffrey) was the one to find the cache. Quick dash to the van to sign the log, and a couple of quick pictures. Returned the cache to its place, and took the picture attached.

Cheers!

TNLNSL

Found it GC18JCR You'll be Heading for this Lookout

12/27/2010

This was our first Geocaching trip! We went with the Lindsay Larrikins and after a bit of wandering around and pondering the clues, we found this very neat cache! We didn't write in the log (but intend to return to do so). Great view and we had to pretend to be looking for a child's toy when a muggle wandered up as we were bum up in the .... but I won't give it away.... ; )

My first was a DNF on 09/29/2002.

This is GC174D Mollie's Nipple Cache in Hurricane. Although I have been back there one time since then, I did not even look for the cache that time. It is still on my todo list though. This is also the location where we left my son's ashes four years later.

Didn't find it 09/29/2002

This was to be my introduction to GeoCaching, but alas, we could not find the cache. My son, who had 'happened across' this cache during several of his hikes , was who told me of this pastime and suggested that we hike to this one. Although we did arrive at the proper location, we were unable to locate the cache. My son even pointed to the very spot where he had seen it previously. Is it M.I.A.? (I did find one of the items that was previously in the box stuffed into a small sage plant at the south end of the peak)

GCJFKF

3/29/12

Yay! Found it. This was my first geocaching find. I went with b cr8iv. We had trouble at first, but we figured it out in the end :D

--------------------------

The funny thing is, this was a virtual. I was such a noob I didn't even know what that meant, I'd just been dragged along by my mother's partner (who also knew nothing about geocaching). We spent 20 minutes looking for a container before we finally read through the cache page :anicute::laughing:

GC1DMR1:

¡¡¡Mi primer cache!!!

Mis padres siempre nos llevaban a mi y mis hermanos a un sitio que se llama El Rancho, cuando íbamos a visitar familia en Patillas. Mi esposa me contaba de una lechonera de Guavate con riíto al que sus padres la llevaban con su hermano. ¡Pues resulta que era el mismo lugar!

Después de comer en la lechonera El Rancho con mi esposa, busqué este cache que está de camino. Fui con un mapa impreso de Google Maps. Al resolver el acertijo, calculé dónde estaba el cache en metros, y lo medí en el mapa. Tardé un buen rato en buscarlo. Mi esposa se quedó en el carro viéndome buscar como un loco por el lugar, hasta que regresé corriendo con el cache en la mano y se lo enseñé.

Left: Una sombrillita de piña colada que tomamos en El Rancho. Le tuve que partir parte del palito para que cupiera. TFTC. Fue muy divertido.

I had already read many logs, and had liked the wordy ones better. I decided that I would minimize the use of acronyms and short logs as much as I could. Too bad I already have 18 of these:

Found it. Pictures and story later.

I should get to filling those out soon...

Trouvé avec Vantreal.

Pas de crayon, pas d'efface.

Première cache trouvée. Belle expérience.

Which means : Found with Vantreal. No pencil, no eraser. First cache ever found. Nice experience.

Went hunting for some more today (4), found one!

Definitely not a poet.

"This is the first cache I found. Sign in a little damp but managed to write my name on the log. Left a fishing fly. Sunk hook in folded piece of paper to avoid a kid getting stuck. Should pull out easily when unfolded. GZ exact to within a foot."

This is a good example why I like to see folks mention trades. Rare today.

There was a guy in NJ that left flies and now that my fingers need a few celebrex to work okay, I'd follow soon after in hopes of finding one of his hand-tied flies, leaving way more swag (trade up) in trade.

According to GC.com, my first find was Myn-O-Nite, with the log here. I say "according to GC.com" because I'm a little confused about whether that was actually my first find. I found two that first day, and I think I might have logged them backwards. The other find, (which I think was actually first), was A cut-through road, logged simply as "Found it".

My first attempt was actually a DNF (which I didn't log on that attempt), on a cache that was archived shortly after.

Edited by Kacher82

Thrak found 2.gif BoBoLu's Hot Cache

Monday, 08 August 2005

Just got my GPSr in the mail today - was waiting when I got home from work. Figured since Bobolu was the one who told me about geocaching that I'd try for a couple of his hides.

Found this one without much trouble - great hiding spot. Took blue carabiner and TB&TB wooden nickel. Left dollar and U.S. flag lapel pin. TFTC

P.S. Wonder if Bobolu will figure out who I am. :)

Tuesday, 21 July 2009

Yahoo, our first find. Had to start somewhere...

Couldn't find it at first until we figured out the "secret" to these locations.

It was a LPC. Took 3 visits to GZ with a Nuvi to figure out they could lift up. :rolleyes:

Ahaha the first skirt lifter is the best. I went with a friend who'd found a handful already. She wanted to show off, so she'd never told me about them. She walked straight up to it and lifted the skirt. I screamed. Literally thought it was the best thing ever. :rolleyes::laughing::anicute: