Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Guest Anton

Thanks for the new "GPS & Ham Radio" forum!

Guest Anton

Greetings!

This is just a note to thank Jeremy, and the crew of people that makes this such a great resource, for creating the new GPS & Ham Radio forum. I made a request, and they got it done right away. We know there are lots of hams who use GPS, and more are hearing about geocaching all the time. The 76 replies to my original query about whether there were any hams using the forums tell us we're in good company.

If you've been thinking about getting your amateur radio (ham) license, just ask the folks here who have a ham radio callsign after their name. I wanted to be a ham when I was kid, but couldn't get any help. Now I show ham radio, and GPS, to teachers and students in schools as part of work helping schools integrate technology, which usually means computers and the Internet. I've gotten three schools into GPS so far this year.

Yesterday, I did a ham radio demonstration for the NASA Young Astronauts Club at an elementary school. Did you know that nearly all the NASA astronauts are hams, and that you can talk to them on the Shuttle and the International Space Station on ham radio? Yes, it's true.

So thanks again for this space on the geocaching forums. I'm sure the discussions about using GPS with Ham Radio, and specifically APRS and packet radio, will be interesting.

See you here, and on the air!

Anton, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

Closest Confluence at 43N, 76W.

See my geocache there:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1698

Guest ESFKids

er geocacher right around my area that is studying for the technician?s level test for ham radio. Great Idea for a forum. Thanks to Anton for thinking of requesting it and many thanks to the hard working people at Groundspeak for making it happen and for everything they do! Happy Caching!! 73's

Dave & Andrew-KC2HUX

Guest tedoca

Another Ham here...

I'm a no-code-tech using only two meters. I've heard of many folks in my area who use gps navigation and laptop computers in their vehicles in conjunction with their ham radios.

Can't wait to see the great ideas that might come up in this forum for combining these two great hobbies and am wondering just how much more money I'm gonna end up spending on new gadgets!

Tedoca

N3YKX

Guest Morseman

My sig file will probably tell you which mode I tend to enjoy using on the air, but I have spent about two years messing about with APRS. From the days when there were about three people active, and none within VHF range of each other, to today where the numbers are increasing to the point where people complain about overcrowding. icon_smile.gif

I dismantled the shack and took down the antennas a few weeks before discovering Geocaching, so I'm sorry but you probably wont be hearing me on the air. I'll keep up the licence, it costs £15 a year over here, and may make an effort to put something together for December 12th this year.

In the mean time, there might be interest from APRS users as they often have GPS units and might see Geocaching as another use for their units.

There is also interest from the European Adventure Radio Society in maybe hiding caches for the more adventurous Geocachers. However, a thread started in ARS-EU, on Yahoogroups, by Richard (G3CWI) doesn't seem to be exiting too many people. Possibly because they can't build their own GPS receiver very easily. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and my callsign is G0DJA, which I've had since about 1983. Before that I had the callsign G6VMQ for a year or so.

Cheers.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

My sig file will probably tell you which mode I tend to enjoy using on the air, but I have spent about two years messing about with APRS. From the days when there were about three people active, and none within VHF range of each other, to today where the numbers are increasing to the point where people complain about overcrowding. icon_smile.gif

I dismantled the shack and took down the antennas a few weeks before discovering Geocaching, so I'm sorry but you probably wont be hearing me on the air. I'll keep up the licence, it costs £15 a year over here, and may make an effort to put something together for December 12th this year.

In the mean time, there might be interest from APRS users as they often have GPS units and might see Geocaching as another use for their units.

There is also interest from the European Adventure Radio Society in maybe hiding caches for the more adventurous Geocachers. However, a thread started in ARS-EU, on Yahoogroups, by Richard (G3CWI) doesn't seem to be exiting too many people. Possibly because they can't build their own GPS receiver very easily. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and my callsign is G0DJA, which I've had since about 1983. Before that I had the callsign G6VMQ for a year or so.

Cheers.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest lhbadman

As a ham soon-to-be and active cacher, I want to say thanks for yet another great topic! I look forward to learning and enjoying...

Guest Morseman

Tedoca (N3YKX ) said:-

>Can't wait to see the great ideas that >might come up in this forum for combining >these two great hobbies and am wondering >just how much more money I'm gonna end up >spending on new gadgets!

If you already have the GPS receiver and a VHF radio, you are well over half way there!

Try either Mic-E or TinyTrack units. These will take the NMEA sentences and turn them into APRS position beacons, which can be fed to the microphone socket of the transceiver.

Info on TinyTrack is at http://www.byonics.com/

Mic-E is at http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/Fmic-e.html

If you buy something like a Kenwood THD7 (handheld) or the TM-D700 (mobile) rig, then you can plug the GPS straight into an internal TNC inside the rig, and send and receive APRS signals.

You can also get Packet TNC units that will accept GPS (NMEA) input. I used an older TNC, with no input for a GPS, with a GPS receiver and a laptop by making a simple HSP switching unit.

If you want to see other people around you on a map, then try either UI-View at http://www.packetradio.org.uk/

or DosAPRS/WinAPRS/MacAPRS, but I cant find the link to the website! There are programs for APRS on Palm Pilot, IPAQ and other handheld PCs. There are APRS programs for Linux as well... Again, the websites are out there, a good search engine should give you plenty to choose from. icon_smile.gif

Cheers.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

Tedoca (N3YKX ) said:-

>Can't wait to see the great ideas that >might come up in this forum for combining >these two great hobbies and am wondering >just how much more money I'm gonna end up >spending on new gadgets!

If you already have the GPS receiver and a VHF radio, you are well over half way there!

Try either Mic-E or TinyTrack units. These will take the NMEA sentences and turn them into APRS position beacons, which can be fed to the microphone socket of the transceiver.

Info on TinyTrack is at http://www.byonics.com/

Mic-E is at http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/Fmic-e.html

If you buy something like a Kenwood THD7 (handheld) or the TM-D700 (mobile) rig, then you can plug the GPS straight into an internal TNC inside the rig, and send and receive APRS signals.

You can also get Packet TNC units that will accept GPS (NMEA) input. I used an older TNC, with no input for a GPS, with a GPS receiver and a laptop by making a simple HSP switching unit.

If you want to see other people around you on a map, then try either UI-View at http://www.packetradio.org.uk/

or DosAPRS/WinAPRS/MacAPRS, but I cant find the link to the website! There are programs for APRS on Palm Pilot, IPAQ and other handheld PCs. There are APRS programs for Linux as well... Again, the websites are out there, a good search engine should give you plenty to choose from. icon_smile.gif

Cheers.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest GeoScouter

Jeremy, Thanks for the new Forum!

I used my Garmin III Plus with my TM-D700 radio on APRS before I started geocaching.

Sometimes we use our 2 meter HT's to keep in touch while geocaching.

Steve, N3FWE

Guest Morseman

I did have the idea of creating an overlay file, to use with UI-View, but there were a couple of problems...

1. The files of lat/long that I downloaded needed a lot of manual work, or a clever program, to convert them and;

2. The maps I use with UI-View are usually set to the OSGB-36 datum.

If I were still on the air, I might have put a few caches out as objects, in the hope that they might act as attractions for other Radio Amateurs who might be visiting the area.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

I dismantled the shack and took down the antennas a few weeks before discovering Geocaching

Out of space? Out of time? Out of money? I'v e left a few hobbies on the shelf in the past. There's that lathe in the workshop, and the half-built seismometer, and the telescope that seldom gets a look, and the un-played guitar, the idle printing press.... I guess we just move on.

Took a good hard look at getting an AR license a few years back, but ran out of momentum before the next course started...

Have tried to learn morse.

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard