Photos of micros, nanos and unusual containers

-CJ-

I'm talking not about obvious spoiler photos of geocache hides but about photos of containers. Personally I have nothing against a photo of a standard 2l plastic box somewhere in woods since both size and material are usually known from the cache description. I also know there are COs that used to give full descriptions ("A 5 cm bison tube with a tiny magnet, all painted in black") and it's up to them I believe. But if a CO doesn't do this than he may think that less details mean more fun when searching for his/her cache, right? I've seen photos of nanos and micros attached to logs and when this happened with the geocaches that I owned I sometimes (not every time however) deleted such photos as spoilers. Does anyone share my attitude? Do COs usually care? If you do, have you done anything to try to prevent cache hunters from uploading such photos to the site?

this is not a yes or no question..

some care alot, some not at all.

some caches are very much designed so people must take pictures of them, with the cache in hand..

others must be keept as a surprice.

I think most smart seekers know what is what, when they find it,

and post pictures if they feel it is good and smart to do,

and in case they failed or misundeerstood this, it is fine to have the picture deleted.

I prefer a polite mail to ask to delete it my self, rather the CO just delete it, the the entire log

if they dont know they can actually just delete the picture

If the container or hide is designed to be special or deliberately difficult, I personally do not like having cachers post photos of the container or hide in their logs. However, if they post them in the forums or elsewhere online, I don't care. There isn't anything I can do about the posts elsewhere on the internet, but I can ask that they delete them from my own cache listing.

It depends. A Photo of a black nano is just a picture. But if I get to GZ and see something blue with black dots on it-it would be safe to assume that the cache one of the black dots. In that case it is a dead giveaway. At the same time a photo showing a green bison tube and GZ is some sort of evergreen tree well then that really isn't any help.

Don't do it!

I put a lot of thought and time into most of my caches. I do not want the surprise given away.

A few times a newbie has posted pictures, I've removed the pics and explained why with positive reactions.

There is at least one thread with pictures of cool containers. That's the place to put them with no reference to the GC#

If I took the time to create a specially camouflaged container I would not appreciate spoiler photos.

For run of the mill containers I actually enjoy seeing photos of the happy finders holding my container.

I also enjoy seeing pictures of happy finders, but I don't quite understand why someone would just take a picture (and include it in their log) of a run of the mill container.

I'm talking not about obvious spoiler photos of geocache hides but about photos of containers. Personally I have nothing against a photo of a standard 2l plastic box somewhere in woods since both size and material are usually known from the cache description. I also know there are COs that used to give full descriptions ("A 5 cm bison tube with a tiny magnet, all painted in black") and it's up to them I believe. But if a CO doesn't do this than he may think that less details mean more fun when searching for his/her cache, right? I've seen photos of nanos and micros attached to logs and when this happened with the geocaches that I owned I sometimes (not every time however) deleted such photos as spoilers. Does anyone share my attitude? Do COs usually care? If you do, have you done anything to try to prevent cache hunters from uploading such photos to the site?

I'm with you for the most part. There are quite a few of my containers that if a pic were shown the difficulty would be drastically affected. But I haven't had the problem really. I deleted a couple of pics a while back but forget if I did so because of the container or location. As for what to do, checking the posts when found gives me a chance to delete pics. For me more info had been given away by little not-so-subtle secret comments in the logs. My big complaint is the cache not be returned as found.