Samsung Galaxy S3

stijnhommes

Although I have a GPS unit, I tend to use my smartphone a lot on improvised geocaching hunts when I happen to be near some interesting caches.

My Galaxy S1 runs out of juice after less than a day with intense GPS usage. I'm considering upgrading to Galaxy S3 and I'm wondering if anyone has any reviews/comments about the S3 from a geocaching perspective.

Edited by stijnhommes

Although I have a GPS unit, I tend to use my smartphone a lot on improvised geocaching hunts when I happen to be near some interesting caches.

My Galaxy S1 runs out of juice after less than a day with intense GPS usage. I'm considering upgrading to Galaxy S3 and I'm wondering if anyone has any reviews/comments about the S3 from a geocaching perspective.

I love my Galaxy 3 for both smartphone use as well as geocaching.

Having said that, if you can be just a bit patient, they are announcing the G4 late Feb early Mar for release in the June time-frame. One of the biggest differences is going from dual core to a quad core processor

Having said that, if you can be just a bit patient, they are announcing the G4 late Feb early Mar for release in the June time-frame. One of the biggest differences is going from dual core to a quad core processor

According to my information the S3 already has a quad-core...

This might get a better response in the Technology forum...but...

I've found that my cell does great for quick cache trips. But, if using it to navigate and find/log caches on substantial outings in the field it dies quickly.

I can't speak to that phone's accuracy, but most should be able to get you close enough at GZ to just put it in your pocket and search using the D/T, description and hint.

In terms of longer hunts where you can't keep it plugged into a car charger or something, you can get a solar charger...or just put it in airplane mode and use your gps to navigate. That way you can have your preloaded descritions and coord info like the PDAs of yesteryear.

According to my information the S3 already has a quad-core...

Not here in the US. They come with a has a dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4.

Info on Samsung S4.

Edited by baloo&bd

My wife and I both use our GS3's for caching and I love them.

The only detriment is, of course, the battery life.

I have found that two things help with that.

1. I use the CacheSense app and save my maps for offline use.

2. This is the best 60 bucks I've ever spent:

Good Investment

I find that my GS3 consistently gets me closer to GZ than my handheld.

I have no issues with satellite coverage in non cell-service areas.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian

*GeoPunx*

I have found that two things help with that.

1. I use the CacheSense app and save my maps for offline use.

2. This is the best 60 bucks I've ever spent:

Good Investment

I find that my GS3 consistently gets me closer to GZ than my handheld.

I have no issues with satellite coverage in non cell-service areas.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian

*GeoPunx*

That's good to know that you compared the SIII & a gpsr side-by-side, & the s3 is more accurate. I use the s3. Which gpsr did you compare it to?

That's good to know that you compared the SIII & a gpsr side-by-side, & the s3 is more accurate. I use the s3. Which gpsr did you compare it to?

An Etrex20(mine), an Explorist 710(friend) and another Garmin(cacher I met in the woods).

Don't get me wrong. The handhelds get you there, too.

I just like all the frills of smartphone caching.

A handheld is too restrictive for me. I don't want to have to worry about loading caches in my handheld.

With the phone I can just turn on the app, no matter where I am; and boom...nearby caches.

I have the S2 and while I don't use it to find most caches, I have used it to find a few on impromptu finds when I don't have my 60CSX available. I do however, use it in conjunction with the 60SCSX. I have GDAK loaded with my GSAK databases, and I use C:GEO to look up caches and sometimes log finds in the field.

The battery on the S2 seems 10 times better than my first Droid phone when the GPS is turned on.

I have the S3 myself. As far as issues with the battery life, I use a power bank like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085ZI5VI/ref=mw_dp_sim_ss3?pi=SL500_SY125

It charges my phone on the go about 2 times over. It's a necessity for me, especially on long hikes.

Otherwise, in comparison with a few other smartphones I've used, the S3 has by far the most reliable gps I've seen in a phone. it doesn't beat the real thing though if you don't get reception in certain areas.

I wouldn't say that battery life is the *only* detriment. There's also an issue of suitability in an outdoor environment. If all your geocaching is limited to urban/suburban environments in good weather that might not be an issue but if you want to go after caches that require some bushwacking, crossing streams, hiking in rugged terrain, or just being out when the when it's raining/snowing *any* smartphone (without some additional protection) might not be as suitable as most handheld GPS devices designed for use outdoors.