Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
selias

Confessions of a Lurker...

OK - I admit it. I have been lurking around this site for the better part of 6 months now and this Geocaching thing sounds like a heck of a lot of fun.

I'm also a ham and have really been anxious to get back into the hobby after a few years off. The combination of ham radio and geocaching (or is it Geocaching?) seems so natural that now I may have to spend money on a new mobile rig AND a GPS. Thanks a lot, guys...

Anyway - I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and have seen that there are quite a few caches around according to this web site...

I really envy those of you who live in more rural and "exotic" (Note: I was born and raised in South Florida) places out west with acres of wilderness in which to hike and cache. Here, I will be limited to various county and state parks... Still, I think it's a great way to combine playing with electronics, hiking in the park, spending time with my wife who also likes to do "outdoors" stuff, and getting in shape.

Anyway - there is no real reason for my post other than to say hello and that I think I'm about to make that all-important GPS purchase and join you all for some fun.

Thanks for the entertaining reading! Maybe I'll see you at a cache once I get "equipped."

-- Scott / WA4SE

From one fellow lurker to another --- welcome.

I mostly lurk, but occasionally get in the act.

I guarantee you and your wife will very much enjoy looking for caches. Although I am in the Great Pacific Northwet, pretty much all of the caches we have found have been in various county and state parks. BEWARE -- there are parks out there very close to you that you have never heard of. Now you will find them.

Get the GPS and take off. The radio is just icing on the cake.

We will be looking for you.

spidermom / KD7UEC

quote:
Originally posted by Scott / WA4SE:

OK - I admit it. I have been lurking around this site for the better part of 6 months now.

I really envy those of you who live in more rural and "exotic" (Note: I was born and raised in South Florida) places out west with acres of wilderness in which to hike and cache.

So come to El Paso for a visit! We don't have a lot of caches, but I have 27,000 acres of desert mountain range for you to hike in. Check out the mountains in the background of my avatar.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Nice view - I am a little bit jealous. The closest thing we have to a mountain down here is Waste Management's landfill. I definitely don't think that's the place to "dig" for any buried treasure...

I visited my dad last summer in Cody, WY, and loved it. The mountain views, the national parks, the lifestyle, everything. Having lived in Fort Lauderdale all my life, that was quite a change!!

Next time I'm in El Paso (Was there a first time??), I'll be sure to give you a shout on the air :-)

-- Scott

E-mail me as far ahead as possible when you are coming. If you catch it right, we can put you up in our guesthouse. Wrong timing would be during dog show season, when old army buddies are visiting, when our son is on leave, or inlaws are visiting. That said, the guest house is empty about 250 days a year. Oh, you are not afraid of dogs, are you? We have Texas Chihuahuas. You can see one in my avatar. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!