Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave_W6DPS

Anyone else use the "Wilderness Protocol" when Geocaching?

Since most hams have very portable HTs, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with, and follows this protocol. Most of the hams I meet have no idea about it, and even those aware of it don't seem to put it to use.

The Wilderness protocol (see page 101, August 1995 QST or page 87 of the ARES handbook, www.arrl.org) calls for wilderness hams to announce their presence on, and to monitor, the national calling frequencies for five minutes beginning at the top of the hour, every three hours from 7 AM to 7 PM while in the back country. A ham in a remote location may be able to relay emergency information through another wilderness ham who has better access to a repeater. Calling Frequencies: 52.525, 146.52, 223.50, 446.00, 1294.50 MHz.

If you are in a "less-than-urban" area and have your HT with you, please think about this protocol. I may be the poor geoham with a broke leg calling for help some time. (Or, God forbid, it might be you with the broken bone and me listening...)

Think of the kudos for both hobbies from this headline--"Ham out Geocaching Rescues Injured Hiker".

73's de Dave_W6DPS

Amateur Extra

newbie geocacher

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Dave,

I hadn't heard about the wilderness protocol either. From a technical stand point, there isn't much wilderness around here, but the point is well taken. I wish I had a smaller and lighter HT - my HTX-404 is a bit much to hike with.

I did find the manual on the ARRL site. Go to the ARRL Amateur Radio Public Service web page, and scroll down to ARES Field Resources Manual.

-- Scott (smillersmiller)

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

Since most hams have very portable HTs, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with, and follows this protocol. Most of the hams I meet have no idea about it, and even those aware of it don't seem to put it to use.

THIS THREAD Was the one where everyone wanted to re-invent the simplex wheel. Fortunately, the wilderness protocol is also on the nat simp freqs. So this will work with the folks who monitor the nat freqs. It will not work with those who decided to use their own freqs unless they keep an eye on time and switch on time. Again, too much trouble for me. I will stay on the nat freqs when I am out of the repeater. It still works for us here.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=8770963783&m=5410901535 Was the one where everyone wanted to re-invent the simplex wheel. Fortunately, the wilderness protocol is also on the nat simp freqs. Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

I wasn't intending to reopen that thread. I am not advocating a designated simplex freq--just the use of a n emergency protocol when appropriate. Around town and in the 'burbs I tend to use our local repeater, or maybe one of the many wide coverage repeaters in SoCal. I do keep 146.52 as my "priority channel" and my radio does a brief scan every few seconds.

Even in SoCal there are a lot of areas where cellphones are useless and there isn't anyone in range of an FRS radio. 2 meters has repeater coverage for HTs just about everwhere except deep canyons. And with about 15% of the hams in the US living in our state, you can just about always raise somebody on 146.52.

I think trying to have a "national geocaching simplex freq" isn't a bad idea, but I think there are enough variations in vhf bandplans to turn this into some work. Regional frequencies would make more sense to me--in those areas with enough geocaching hams to make it worthwhile.

I monitor 146.52 when I'm geocaching or not--hiking, canoeing, right now in my den at the keyboard, commuting, etc. The wilderness protocol has the potential to help someone who really needs it. I try to promote it among hams any chance I get, because most are not aware of it. No other ulterior motives involved.

73's de Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

There is a reason the simplex channels were selected, and monitored. Splitting people off that defeates the purpose. But there is always someone who wants to reinvent the wheel.

BTW, if I ask for that refund you offer, do I have to pay the postage??? icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great sunday evening.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!