Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers

seelenreiter

Hi folks,

today, 08.Feb.2013 7:00 CET i notices a notification in my .net application.

I am using Windows 7 (x64) with IE 9.0.8112.16421 and Visual Studio 2010 SP1.

if open the geocaching.com pages directly with the Internet Explorer, everything works fin.

but

if i open the Page with a webbrowser inside an .net application, i got the warning:

Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers

The webbrowser is IE 9.

Maybe there is a bug on detecting the Internet Explorer Version?

thank you for your assisance.

Users of GSAK are experiencing the same thing. Apparently the imbedded browser is running in compatibility mode, so the browser appears to be an older version. Supposedly there is a registry change you can make that will fix it, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

If you look at the source of any page on geocaching.com, you'll see the detection code and see that it is correct.

I have a brand new computer and have IE 10 installed (verified) and am getting the "Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers. Visit the Help Center for more information." message at the top of my screen when accessing geocaching.com directly (not from within any program). I thought everyone was getting this informational message until a few hours later I opened geocaching.com at work and the message did not appear. It appears that geocaching.com thinks IE 10 is an older browser. Due to this, the hint decrypter is broke and the map box in the lower right part of the cache listing screen is blank/empty. Any one else have this problem? Is there a more direct way to report this issue? I've had it all week.

Edited by ILuvAZ
Any one else have this problem?

Yes, everybody has it, if they're running IE. OK, maybe not everybody, but I think it's coming up often enough to make this info sticky:

"Turn on Compatibility Mode. If the problem is happening while using Compatibility Mode, turn off Compatibility Mode."

Here's how to select it in IE 10:

http://techathlon.com/internet-explorer-10-run-compatibility-mode/

Any one else have this problem?

Yes, everybody has it, if they're running IE. OK, maybe not everybody, but I think it's coming up often enough to make this info sticky:

"Turn on Compatibility Mode. If the problem is happening while using Compatibility Mode, turn off Compatibility Mode."

Here's how to select it in IE 10:

http://techathlon.com/internet-explorer-10-run-compatibility-mode/

Thanks Kunarion for the link. IE10 Compatibility Mode did not work but straight IE9 did. It seems like I may have to do this every time I open a browser. Thanks again. BTW, F12 while in your browser maybe a faster way to set this - will come in handy if I have to do this often until Groundspeak fixes it.

Edited by ILuvAZ

I don't understand why every time Groundspeak "updates" something, the site gets more difficult to use. I already have to log in every single time I open my browser (yes, cookies are enabled....) and now there is no hint, no map on the cache page, no logs visible. I'm using IE 9, and yes I can switch off the compatibility mode, but I need to change it every time I open a new cache page. Why does this have to be so cumbersome? Does anyone have a more permanent fix?

Why does this have to be so cumbersome? Does anyone have a more permanent fix?

Groundspeak has special security features found on no other web site. It's cutting-edge Top Secret stuff, data routed from the Pentagon, servers buried in Antarctic ice, even a base on Mars. It has to be set up this way, or the bad guys win.

As a former computer programmer, I know enough to have a back up of the program and if a new fix doesn't work, I can rollback to old program. Come on Groundspeak, back out this change. I'm losing patience - every time you "fix" something, you break many somethings. I am tired of paying you to be your beta tester. Doesn't anyone at Groundspeak test this code before you release it? Just turn the browser check off until you get it fixed.

What is also irritating is that Groundspeak never acknowledges there is a bug - just leaves us hanging.

Edited by ILuvAZ

It seems I am in an even worse situation than most.

IE10 - Same problem as everyone else.

Firefox - Cannot zoom or pan the map.

Chrome - Ditto.

What on earth is going on Groundspeak. This is totally unacceptable. I was an IT Manager for 17 years. If I have been responsible for this I would have lost my job.

FIX it. And FIX IT NOW!!!

Disgruntled.

Yeah, for about two weeks or so, then do it again...

The only place I have this issue is on this site.

Sure, just "click on compatibility view" works a while, but why have to do it in the first place?

Funny, I use IE 9 and 10 on various computers and have never ever seen the banner. However, a friend brought it up but he kept accidently clicking on the torn paper looking icon on the address bar without realizing it. Took me looking over his shoulder to spot what the issue was.

I have a brand new computer and have IE 10 installed (verified) and am getting the "Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers. Visit the Help Center for more information." message at the top of my screen when accessing geocaching.com directly (not from within any program). I thought everyone was getting this informational message until a few hours later I opened geocaching.com at work and the message did not appear. It appears that geocaching.com thinks IE 10 is an older browser. Due to this, the hint decrypter is broke and the map box in the lower right part of the cache listing screen is blank/empty. Any one else have this problem? Is there a more direct way to report this issue? I've had it all week.

I upgraded my year old laptop to IE10 on Sunday and it has caused problems on geocaching.com only since then.

Updated Firefox running Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Stopscript, and Mcafee Site Advisor will change the way you look at the internet forever, it rocks! : )

If you are still loyal to IE, just download Mozilla Firefox and at least Adblock Plus and give it a run, you will love it, guaranteed. : )

I like the way Ghostery works, but on a lot of sites I have to tur it off to do some things, Yahoo is a good example.

I have the same issue when compatibility mode is turned on. When it's turned off the yellow banner goes away but a new problem comes up.

Typically I go to "hide and seek a cache" then use the "search from the map" option. This of course centers around my house. I can pan just fine, click on caches, load them to our gps (yadda yadda yadda) with no issues. However when I zoom (in our out) the map gets stuck at whatever zoom I went to and I can't do anything after zooming; no panning, no selecting a geocache, it just hangs. The only thing that helps is turning compatibility mode back on which of course brings up the yellow banner along the top of the screen and messes up all the info.

......and yes, I've tried everything listed on this forum to no avail. I realize you're busy but can you (somebody from Groundspeak) please give us at least a "we're trying to get it fixed" or something like that?

We are aware of that issue, HotDiggityDogs, and it is a problem with Leaflet maps. Since you are a premium member, I recommend setting your map preference to Google - it does not exhibit this issue.

I switched to google as you suggested. Now I can't load caches into my gps on either the map page or from the individual cache page. This is happening on two different computers.

Today, running IE10, once again I am getting the "phasing out older browsers" message. I had to change to compatibility mode, which must be done EVERYTIME I open geocaching.com. Otherwise, no maps and other features no workie. I am a premium member and this is getting old.

Has Groundspeak acknowledged this problem or am I just one of the 'lucky ones'?

Today, running IE10, once again I am getting the "phasing out older browsers" message. I had to change to compatibility mode, which must be done EVERYTIME I open geocaching.com. Otherwise, no maps and other features no workie. I am a premium member and this is getting old.

Has Groundspeak acknowledged this problem or am I just one of the 'lucky ones'?

You need to set your browser to always avoid compatibility mode for Geocaching.com:

• If the Tools menu isn't displayed at the top of the Internet Explorer window, press the Alt key to see the menus.
  • In the Tools menu, select Compatibility View Settings. It should appear about halfway down the list.
  • Remove geocaching.com from the list of "Websites you've added to Compatibility View" if it's in the list, and uncheck the box for Display all websites in Compatibility View if it's checked.

This message popped up again today. I have followed every suggestion made on this forum and the problem goes away for a while and then returns. If nothing has changed on my PC, then it must be a change to the geocaching application. If you view source, you can see checks...

<!--[if lte IE 7]>

<div class="WarningMessage PhaseOut">

<p>Groundspeak is phasing out support for older browsers....<snip>

This has to be where the issue is coming from.

And, for some reason, geocaching.com is not keeping me logged in. So this is only happening sporadically when I am logging in again. This makes me think there are some versions of the front of site with old code and other versions that are correct. In the past, it either happened or didn't happen consistently.

Edited by ILuvAZ