Search By County

Cachin' Checks

Is there anyway to search for caches specifically by county? I am curious, because the list of oldest caches in each California county needs to be updated quite a bit, as several of the caches are now archived. Thanks

Are you referring to this Bookmark List?

I just noticed that the list owner hasn't been around for four years and seven of the counties are out of date. I may just duplicate and update it. That will take some work.

Is there anyway to search for caches specifically by county? I am curious, because the list of oldest caches in each California county needs to be updated quite a bit, as several of the caches are now archived. Thanks

I just noticed that the list owner hasn't been around for four years and seven of the counties are out of date. I may just duplicate and update it. That will take some work.

Yes that is the list I was talking about. It would be great to have an updated version, I just wasn't sure how to do it.

Yes that is the list I was talking about. It would be great to have an updated version, I just wasn't sure how to do it.

I decided that I'm going to do it, but it's going to take some time and seven PQs to get the caches in the outdated counties. I'll post back to this thread when it goes live.

Not going to help you with oldest cache in a county; however, you can use the website and/or GSAK and pocket queries to get you there.

- Pick a county where you want to cache.

- On the hide and seek a geocache page, type in the county and state into the Seek a Cache... by address box. For example, I'll use Lowndes County, Alabama.

- It'll return a search page based on coordinates in the center of that county. For Lowndes, that's here.

At this point you have two options.

- For a quick look at what's in the county and what's not, click Map this location. I use Open Street Maps on the map view, since the county lines show up clearly; if you're a premium memebr and use Google maps by default, you'll need to adjust your map preferences accordingly.

- For a definitive list of what's in the county and what's not, use the coordinates as the center of a pocket query and use GSAK to filter out caches in surrounding counties.

I decided that I'm going to do it, but it's going to take some time and seven PQs to get the caches in the outdated counties. I'll post back to this thread when it goes live.

Okay, the list is up. Here's a link

Getting the caches and putting it on the list wasn't all that hard, but editing 59 entries was rather tedious.