eTrex 20: Custom Bootup Page

K2CLH

Hello. I just got a Garmin eTrex 20 a few days ago for my birthday. I looked all through the quick start and the full manual to try to figure out how to have it diaplay "K2CLH" on the screen while it is booting up. This would be done an a precaution so that if I were to lose it and someone were to find it they would know who it belonged to. I know this is possible atleast on the older versions of the eTrex because my friend has a eTrex Legend CX and it pops up with their username when it boots.

Anyone who can help is much appreciated,

K2CLH

Hello. I just got a Garmin eTrex 20 a few days ago for my birthday. I looked all through the quick start and the full manual to try to figure out how to have it diaplay "K2CLH" on the screen while it is booting up. This would be done an a precaution so that if I were to lose it and someone were to find it they would know who it belonged to. I know this is possible atleast on the older versions of the eTrex because my friend has a eTrex Legend CX and it pops up with their username when it boots.

Anyone who can help is much appreciated,

K2CLH

Well, if you figure it out, you might want to consider using your real name and perhaps your phone #. Using a name that 99% of the population wouldn't have a clue about, really isn't that helpful.

Taken from the wiki....

Connect your Oregon to a computer in USB mass storage mode and edit file [OR drive]:\Garmin\startup.txt in a text editor like notepad. You can add several lines of text at the end of this file which will be displayed at startup. This feature is useful for adding contact information in case the unit is lost.

Modifying the line <display=0> in the same file will change the the number of seconds that custom startup message is displayed (i.e. <display=5> will display the message for 5 seconds). Note your boot time will increase by the same number of seconds, so a value between 5-10 seconds is a reasonable setting.

Thanks so much for the help! I couldn't find any reference to this. I was a little worried when I first saw your message becuase it was talking about the Oregon not the eTrex. I decided to give it a try anyway and when I went into the Garmin folder there was the startup text.txt or whatever file. Guess I didn't look around in there since I had to go into that folder before to load PQs onto my device. Again thanks for the help, it worked!!!