Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Cadence

It's all your fault!

It's all your fault! You know who you are!

The collective group of Elmers out there who by being responsive and helpful, witty and sarcastic, argumentative and agreeable, has provided a great environment to spawn new Hams. To each of you I want to express my sincere thanks for all of your advice, answers and help.

I completed my Technician Exam and received my callsign on 8/27. I immediately applied for my Great Uncle's old callsign through the vanity call system. Today, 9/16/03 I have been granted the callsign K7PKT.

Should've tethered myself to something on the floor - it's tough typing from the ceiling!

I'll be changing my Signature next.

The list of responsible parties, in order I was introduced to them via this forum. To each of you I would like to express my sincerest thanks!

Desert_Warrior

El_Oso

Dave_W6DPS

benjamin921

Morseman

Coupar-Angus

Continuouswave

SteveL

FunYet

Cholo

Spiderteam

EScout

Steak N Eggs

KE7PI

Geo-Trekker

Apk

GeckoGeek

Overland1

Baloo&bd

Rob H.

Acuracura

Many others, hope I didn't leave anyone out!

(Including Criminal! Hehehehe)*

Todd Cady, K7PKT

*Edit: had to include wiseguy!

[This message was edited by Cadence (OddTodd & CheleBell) on September 17, 2003 at 12:13 AM.]

Welcome to The Vortex Of Chaos that is Amateur Radio, Todd. Good luck in your efforts to cut all the detritus out of your life to carve out more time for radios, antennas, batteries, etc., and welcome to the Financial Black Hole, down which you will pour every last dollar of disposable income (and maybe a few more than that!). icon_smile.gif

It's a great hobby with some great people. Your addition to our ranks makes it even better!

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

quote:
Originally posted by Cadence (OddTodd & CheleBell):

The collective group of Elmers out there who by being responsive and helpful, witty and sarcastic, argumentative and agreeable, has provided a great environment to spawn new Hams. To each of you I want to express my sincere thanks

You did all the work - and you deserve the credit. You earned it! Congrats on the callsign!

The one I want isn't available. K9DOG.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Give us a few weeks, we'll turn ya old and cranky.

Congrats.

Baloo - N9SSG

"HAM AND EGGS -- A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig."

Congratulations on your license, and on getting a vanity call that obviously means a lot to you!

Welcome to the hobby; I really hope you enjoy it!

Ham Radio Outlet takes Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.....

73's de Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

sigavatar.gif

Congratulations! Now let the fun begin. If you are like me, you have more questions now than before you took your test. I suggest you get yourself involved with at least one organiztion related to ham radio (a club, ARES, RACES, SKYWARN, etc.). These groups will help you get answers to your questions and introduce you to all the parts of Ham radio you don't know about yet! Oh, and by the way, stay clear away from HF rigs and folks who have them. HF is very very contagious and if you catch it, you'll start studying code.

Have fun --- Spiderteam KD7UEC

Thanks everyone! Including Criminal.

Spiderteam, I actually tried to take the element 1 exam, but the tape quality and old Bell&Howell headphones really shot my expectations. Where I went, the tape had an echo, you know that very slight yet audible echo a second or two after what was just played? It's tonal quality was really bad.

I mentioned to the examiners that I did'nt quite expect the tone quality and the echo - one quipped that when in a QSO some of the time you don't hear tones, just clicks. I questioned his sanity at that point, maybe not a good idea but Clicks???

I'll learn the code, but I'll hope they upgrade to something like maybe one of them newfangled CD's before I test on it again. I've got a lot of practicing to do.

I also tried the element 3, but hadn't studied enough- 23 just wasn't enough to pass...

Looking forward to chatting or 'clicking' to each of you!

Todd - K7PKT

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

quote:

Todd Cady, K7PKT

Suck-er! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

So what's next? Connecting a GPS to your HT so we can all watch you Geo-hunting?

quote:

one quipped that when in a QSO some of the time you don't hear tones, just clicks. I questioned his sanity at that point, maybe not a good idea but Clicks???

Yup, that's what happens when you're listening exactly on the frequency instead of being off by a few hundred Hertz. Modern rigs handle that by allowing you to tune the receiver off-frequency while maintaining the same transmit frequency. But don't worry about it, it's easily adjusted when you hear it. You just have to recognize it when it happens.

quote:

I'll learn the code, but I'll hope they upgrade to something like maybe one of them newfangled CD's before I test on it again. I've got a lot of practicing to do.

I strongly recommend using the G4FON Morse Code training software. Read about and understand the Koch method that Ray incorporated, and follow it aggressively. I studied the code at 25WPM for characters, 18WPM effective, slowing down to 16WPM effective once I had about 25 characters or so. This is more in the ballpark for communicating with CW, so you'll be ahead of the game.

Of course, as you approach the time for your Element 1 test, slow it down to 15WPM characters, 5WPM effective, and instead of random groups, have it send you some of the QSOs in the included files (you can only do this after you've gotten all of the characters). This is pretty close to the actual test, and will just about put you to sleep because you'll be so used to copying at "real" speed. But there's no reason to limit yourself to just 5WPM because of the test. When you get out in the "real world," there's not much effective communication at that speed, and it's painful to copy when you do hear it.

Okay, bandwagon off. Have fun!

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

Geckogeek, - yeah, it was my turn to be born this minute. (P.T. Barnum) icon_biggrin.gif

El Oso, thanks for the link, I'm downloading ver.5 right now. I was warned about learning anything other than Farnsworth method, but it looks like he's modified the program to include Farnsworth spacing. I've got each character down, it's writing while listening for the next character that I need practice on. I copied about 15 characters at one point in the exam, just need to 'let go' of the previous one to copy the next. Time and training.

Thanks again!

Todd - K7PKT

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

quote:

I actually tried to take the element 1 exam, but the tape quality and old Bell&Howell headphones really shot my expectations. ...

I have never heard of having a poor quality tape before for the element 1 test. Mine was just like the computer programs I had used to learn on, except for the tone frequency. Keep studying for elements 3 and 1, then look to see if there is another test site in your area. They might have a better quality tape.

Good luck. I know that I was thrilled to get my tech ticket and the general ticket was great -- but my OM was wondering what was wrong with me when I was doing the "first DX contact" dance all around the house the night I talked to a nice gentleman on Christmas Island on 20 meters. Now that WAS a thrill!

I'm not sure where in Washington State you are, but occasionally you'll find me on the Pilchuck Repeater covering most of the north portion of Western Washington (B.C to somewhere south of Olympia) 146.92, PL 123.0 I think. Give me a holler and tell me it's all my fault.

Annie --- KD7UEC

W8TVI,

I didn't intentionally leave you off, apologies. Thanks for being here and contributing to all our knowledge!

Todd - K7PKT

Congratulations! You earned the new license, now go and enjoy the hobby.

I did the same thing with my late uncle's call sign (W2TXB) a couple of years ago after having been a ham since the late 1960's and having several different call signs. Having a call sign that means something is a real plus.

After all these (35) years as a Ham, I still enjoy the hobby, both on the VHF/UHF bands, and on the HF bands when I have the time. I still have yet to meet any local hams who are into the GPS/Geocaching hobby.

Jerry

Originally posted by Cadence HREF="http://www.qsl.net/g4fon/CW%20Trainer.htm" TARGET=_blank>G4FON Morse Code training software</A>. Read about and understand the Koch method that Ray incorporated, and follow it aggressively. I studied the code at 25WPM for characters, 18WPM effective, slowing down to 16WPM effective once I had about 25 characters or so. This is more in the ballpark for communicating with CW, so you'll be ahead of the game.

OK, I officially don't like the newer quoting feature here.

boydq, Thanks for posting about g4fon. When I was learning the code, I used the Koch method. Now I am a little rusty and am going to play with this.

Now if I could find a good trainer for the Extra THEORY. I am one of those rare individuals who pased 20 WPM not once, not twice but three times and never got around to studying or taking the theory. For some reason, I can apply things to radio in the pratical, but when it comes to the written test....well....I seem to lose about 30 IQ points walking thru the door.

Edited by baloo&bd

Congrats on getting the license.......and I will echo what others have said: if you haven't put a lock on your wallet already, it's too late! Oh, and whatever you do, don't start going to hamfests......the array of goodies at them usually results in sensory overload, which can often only be relieved by an intense session of geocaching immediately after the hamfest. Have fun, and hope to catch you on the air sometime.

Hank/N3ORX

Congrats. Have fun and get ready to spend, spend, spend.... :huh:

Between Amateur Radio and Geocaching, you will be keeping fairly busy I bet.

Phantom said: "Between Amateur Radio and Geocaching, you will be keeping fairly busy I bet. "

Hehehe, And reloading, shooting, hunting, fly-fishing and tying... there's no end to the money I'll spend!

Thanks for the well-wishing, I'm really enjoying myself learning about Amateur Radio. I've met a lot of people, joined in on a couple of nets, bought a couple of radios...

I just signed up for the ARECC course Level 1, waiting to start the class.

K7PKT - Todd

Now that you have classes to study for, when are you going to have time to Geocache and play with Ham Radio? ;) Now if you go driving down the road as you Geocache and turn on that radio, you might hear others doing the same things but who knows what frequency anyone will be on. It just goes to show you once again, just how small the world really is.

-=> The Ghost <=-

From

-=> The Ghostly Tribe <=-

:)

I'm planning on taking the ARECC class myself, but I'm actually going to join ARRL first so that I don't have to pay the big fees.

Now taking the class - fully half way done with the Learning Units and tormenting my Mentor (the Second Person Above Me) If you're going to take the class, I'd recommend buying the books for it too. It's really nice to be able to open the book and relax on the recliner and read the Learning Units, then go to the web and do the Activities and Questions. Books are cheap, and will be there even after the class has completed. It's a nice reference for those interested in RACES/ARES/NTS. All of the basics are compiled in a 8.5x11x3/8'' book.

Being an ARRL member has its advantages for sure. The membership is almost equal to the cost of the class, and the cost of the class gets refunded when you complete it. There are more classes than for Emergency Communications too! check it out at arrl.org . May sound like a commercial, but I'm getting no kickbacks for this.

I also just bought a Kenwood D700A - waiting impatiently for it to arrive!

Howdy Ghost! Nice to have my favorite apparition appear here!

Todd - K7PKT

We're finally getting a RACES group organized where I live. It's been a long process, but it will be worth it. Part of the required reading for it will be to read the first part of the ARECC class. For EOC responders, they also need to read parts 2 and 3. For me, I think it would be a good thing to take and get credit for, although I have no need for the ECUs.

Well Congrats, Cadence (OddTodd & CheleBell. Looks like you are on your way into a great Hobby and will meet a Whole new world of People you never knew.

Congrats on getting your Tech License and receiving your Great Uncle's old call.

Well it seems like you have the Tiger by the tail.

Do not stop at Tech, simply go on and keep studying to up-grade your License from Tech, you will enjoy the other Licenses as well. There is benefits for doing so.

Called Specturm !!!! I feel like you would like the HF part of Ham Radio.

If you do, you will not be disapointed.

I know your Great Uncle is Proud of you and we all are too.

Keep up the good work and move ahead into the General and Extra Ranks and in a litte time you will be there.

Thanks for posting this and please lets us know how you are coming on up-grading your License.

Happy Hunting

WV5V

Continouswave

Laurel, MS :)

Anyone still watching this thread? Congratulations on your new ticket. I would have liked to have had my grand fathers call sign but, they don't issue them like that any longer. It was 6RD. A very long time ago. I will be setting some GeoCaches in far norhern Canada (Yukon) this summer. Will be operating mobile as usual as KL7DL/VY1 in the Yukon as I do every summer. Geocachers out there that may be touring Canada or Alaska will find me on 7092. Yes you can work that frequency in the Yukon and all of Alaska on sideband. Look for my caches in Sitka Alaska as well. These are easy to find caches close to town for those with limited time or transportation. Good luck and welcome to ham radio.

Dave KL7DL

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and congratulations...

I've purchased 3 radios and was given one, so the total is two handhelds and two mobile units.

BTW, I've had nothing but exceptional luck purchasing equipment from fellow Amateur Operators through eBay - yes, I still check their rating, but what a great example they're showing by being awesome as sellers...

I've convinced two or three other friends to study for their Technician license - even bought the Now You're Talking book for two of them.

I've completed the Level 1 ARECC course available at ARRL (this is not an advert)

I've signed on with Spokane County ARES/RACES (just waiting for the RACES background check) and volunteered for two upcoming races/bike-a-thons.

Today I accepted my first Radiogram - even copied it correctly - then raced home to transfer it to a form. I'm still trying to reach the recipient via phone... no answering machine dontcha know!

Playing with Packet and APRS, lots to learn.

All I need now is money to buy an HF rig to spur me on to getting my General Ticket... It'll happen, eventually! Any advice for brands and models that will give me the widest range of use?

Oh yeah, and I did a comparison of Dual or more band Mobile Radios - 21 different columns including: cross band repeat, alpha characters, detachable head, dual RX, extended RX, power consumption, output, etc. Email me at k7pkt@arrl.net if you would like a copy. It is in MS Excel 97, specify if you'd like it in that format, or Comma Delimited, Tab Delimited.... you know...

I'm working on a similar comparison for HT's.

73 to all,

Todd Cady, K7PKT

Oh yeah, and I did a comparison of Dual or more band Mobile Radios - 21 different columns including: cross band repeat, alpha characters, detachable head, dual RX, extended RX, power consumption, output, etc.

Some thing to keep in mind that in general extended receive tends to lead to greater intermod problems. I don't know how bad of a problem it is in your area, but in many cities it can be painful.

Congratulations! I'm only too glad to have helped - although I must admit I'm not sure how I did. I guess other people really do read my postings! :lol:

73 de Coupar Angus :lol: