Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
W8TVI

National Geocaching Calling Frequency

I have been reading in other threads about a possible frequencies to use when Geocaching and people saying that a lot of times that “other frequencies are often designated as hailing/simplex frequencies in particular geographic regions making the adoption of a National Geocaching Frequency difficult at best.” I say so what? That’s why we have band plans. At least here in the USA it is valid. I was looking at the band plan at the ARRLWeb (US Band Plan) and I picked these frequencies that I thought looked like they might be best for Geocaching use. We really need to have some national frequencies that we use. What good is it if everyone is using different frequencies? A lot of people don’t print out the cache page, and some people (like me) don’t want to have to be programming yet another frequency for just one cache. And how are we supposed to remember from cache to cache what they are using for this and that one? I personally would like to be able to go into an area that I haven’t been before and be able to call CQ (it IS ok to call CQ on voice and even on a repeater they do it on HF a lot, why not on the VHF and up in FM mode?) and be able to talk to a local geocacher and find out where there are some cool geocaches.

Anyway! Enough ranting for now. It would be much better if we picked a national frequency to use, and that’s why I am posting this here. So we can figure out what might work best. Don’t worry about interfering with some one else… listen first before you key up! icon_cool.gif

Here’s what I think would work:

6M: 52.540 (Listed as Secondary FM simplex in the band plan)

2M: 147.500 (That would put it right in the middle of the “147.42-147.57 Simplex” sub band)

70CM (AKA 440): 446.025 (in the middle of the 445.00-447.00 Shared by auxiliary and control links, repeaters and simplex (local option) sub band 25Khz off of the National simplex frequency)(this line edited 10/2 10:30pm eastern)

What are your thoughts on using these frequencies? (And don’t reply just saying that we shouldn’t pick a national frequency. Let’s work out a frequency that will work most places. I would like to hear from Hams that aren’t in the USA to let me know if these frequencies will work with the band plan there. Thanks!

Noel W8TVI

[This message was edited by w8tvi on October 02, 2002 at 09:01 AM.]

[This message was edited by W8TVI on October 02, 2002 at 07:32 PM.]

I think we would be re-inventing the wheel here. With the FRS stuff, this had never before been done. But with ham radio, we have a long established system already in place and accepted. We already have national simplex calling frequencies established in the USA of 52.525, 146.52, 446.000, and others. Although not monitored as much as some repeaters, they are monitored. By designating something else as a GEOCACHING frequency, you are taking away from that monitoring system. This is a different situation from the FRS channel thread, where no clear calling freqs have ever been established.

What I would suggest is this. Monitor the national calling frequency even when geocaching. Not only will it allow a nationally known and approved channel to be monitored, but it may also allow you to establish contact with non-geocachers and promote our "other" hobby. Should you find another geocacher in the area, you can always decide to move off the call channel if desired.

One other note. The national band plan for the 440 band is 25Khz channels, 446.000, 446.025, etc. Also, this band plan would NOT work in most other parts of the world, as we are lucky to have 146-148, and 440-450, both of which are not allowed in most of the world. AND LAST.... using the national calling frequencies WILL work everywhere in the U.S. Of course, other countries have their own calling freqs, like Germany uses 145.500 and 145.550, called S-20 and S-22 IIRC.

Just my opinion.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

[This message was edited by KD9KC on October 02, 2002 at 06:43 PM.]

Any one else have anything to say? (other than we shouldn't do this)

I really think we should have a freq for geocaching stated in other threads. if we move off the calling freq how will some one know were we moved to?

Monitoring 146.520 would mean listening to all kinds of HAMS (not that the freq gets that much action around here)

Monitoring 147.500 would mean listening to HAMS that are Geocaching.

Since 2M rigs usually have more power and better antenna systems than FRS, you would probably be able to contact folks working on other caches (in a cache dense area)... and that might be kind of interesting.

Also... monitoring 147.500 while traveling might be kind of interesting... driving through a new area on a road-trip and have the "cache channel" light up

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00217% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

quote:
Originally posted by W8TVI:

Any one else have anything to say? (other than we shouldn't do this)

I really think we should have a freq for geocaching stated in other threads. if we move off the calling freq how will some one know were we moved to?

Why would you move off a calling freq unless you were already in a QSO? Then, you'd decide where to go...probably to a local repeater.

ApK

quote:

Well, so choose one. Then all you need to do is convince the rest of the geocaching ham community to quit monitoring whatever they are currently monitoring be it repeater of National Call channel, and monitor your suggested freq instead. Don't know about in your area, but it will be a non-starter in my area. For myself, and the several locals, we will continue to do what is working for us reguardless of any suggested change. Sorry, that's just the way it is. There isn't enough activity in the desert to make a second channel necessary out here. We will continue to use the national call, and the local repeater.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

What I'd like to know is why people don’t do like I do. I have a VX-5R and I program in different freq I want to monitor and let it scan them. Most rigs made for the last 10 to 15 years can scan channels that you program in freqs that you want to monitor. Does everyone lock their radios on to one freq and never change it? icon_confused.gif "I'm going to monitor 146.52 and nothing else! icon_mad.gif"

I have my radio setup so that I can monitor lots of stuff, including the freqs above and I'll be monitoring those 3 when I go Geocaching.

That is one of the reasons I hardly EVER turn my HT on, and I almost NEVER talk to anyone on it anymore. There are too many pigheaded "pro-coders" that are convinced that if you have no interest in CW that you are stupid and lazy.

And anyone who mentions IRLP or the like are put down. "That’s not REAL RADIO©".

I don't care if you like CW and have fun with it. Just don't force me to have anything to do with it. I have found that real Elmers have all but died out. We have one ham here in our neck of the woods that takes every chance he can get to put down No-Coders and "slow-coders" just because we didn't have to do it the way he did it. Ham Radio isn't dead yet, but if we let these people that don't want change have their way... It will die.

We use to be on the leading edge. What happened?

[RANT MODE OFF]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Sorry for the rant… had to let that out.

And no KD9KC, I was NOT aiming that at you.

MIGO_logo_animated88x31.gif

[This message was edited by W8TVI on October 04, 2002 at 09:26 AM.]

What I'd like to know is why people don’t do like I do.

There are too many pigheaded "pro-coders" that are convinced that if you have no interest in CW that you are stupid and lazy.

And anyone who mentions IRLP or the like are put down. "That’s not REAL RADIO©".

Just put it on channel 19, you'll get smokey reports, and guaranteed....no "pro-coders".

quote:

[RANT MODE OFF]

Yup...I made a similar complaint in another thread...I seem to have missed the age of experimentation...now the ham communities seems to only want people to do what everyone else is doing.

I want to develop a start-trek communicatior badge! Where's that fit in the band plan? :-)

ApK

I don't care if it was aimed at me or not. Yes, I did the 20 WPM, and consider myself an "EXTRA CLASSIC" Those of you who came later are still hams, still may have the extra class license, and still had a large part of it given to you. But that is the way of the world now, and I don't care about that either. I have never cared what the rest of the world does, as long as I am comfortable with myself. And I am, so the rest just doesn't matter. We all know how we earned what we have... satisfy yourself.... don't matter none to me.... pointed or not.

And don't let code ability get confused with technical ability. I am on AO-40 mode U/S. Built and assembled most of the 2401 MHz system right here. Re-designing the dish, going to weld it up this winter, add a .5dB NF pre-amp, and looking for another 2dB gain from the dish. Get an extra 3 dB © with a home-brew helix feed. Hoping to hear the transponder noise floor at 60,000 km. Anyone else? I have a WORKING X-band radar that I bought broke, and repaired myself. It is a real scream when you fire it up on the highway, and watch those truckers lock up the breaks when their detectors jump off the dash. Anyone else? How about a water cooled 15 watt YAG laser, formerly used for eye surgery till it went unstable. Laser communication is fun, ever try it?

Here in our area, in the mountains, you can work one of two repeaters depending on where you are, or it is simplex. We have only a few geocaching hams, but many more hams than geocachers. For our needs, the national simplex channels work just fine, when the repeaters are not accessable. Of course, you may do as you wish, and best of luck to you. We are comfortable with our situation, and feel no compelling need to exile ourselves from the rest of the ham community just because we are geocaching that day.

Many of them on the "National Calling Channel" actually listen to us, and even request us to flash our signal mirrors from the mountain so they can see where we are. That is particularly fun for the ones who can no longer make it. We have listened to many a story of "When I was younger, I hiked up to that spring. Was the summer of 1958 I think...." and other such stuff.

What I am saying is, do it if you think you need to, but we do not share that need. What is already established "Nationwide" is good enough for us here. YMMV.

Oh, BTW, I don't care if you are doing what I am doing or not. If you are interested, I will tell you about it. If not, no matter, we are having fun here in any case.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

Ham Radio isn't dead yet, but if we let these people that don't want change have their way... It will die.

Hmmmm.... so if some hams have a system that works for what they are doing, but it doesn't conform to what YOU want them to do, they they are contributing to the death of ham radio? A most interesting concept indeed!

quote:

Nobody is on the leading edge anymore. Costs too much, I cannot afford a full electronics lab. I am happy that I have a 250 MHz O'scope and a 1.5 GHz Spectrum Amalyzer on my test-bench. However, some of us are still moving forward. If you are not, then why not? There is surly enough out there for you to contribute. Some day I will tell you how AMTOR was developed by a few hams in Europe in the early 1980s. We had a link running from near Plymouth, Great Britain, to Lake Constance Hamfest, Germany. It ran all weekend long on 40 meters, with just 7 watts output. Look up G3PLX, G3KFN, DL9BBK, and DA1WJ. Also note, G3PLX and PSK-31... does it mean anything to you? Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happenning.

I am through with this thread. Go ahead and declare whatever freqs you think Geocaching should use. Heck, you could be right. The geocaching ham community might just beat a path to your door to thank you for the better mouse trap. Let me know if I need to eat crow, OK?

If you ever come geocaching in El Paso, try 146.88 -600 on the north end of the mountains, 146.700 -600 and 444.200 +5.00 on the south end of the mountains, and 146.52 or 446.00 where the repeaters don't reach into the canyons. That is where the action is around here, and it suits the community just fine. Change for a reason = GOOD. Change for change sake = BAD. Simple as that.

Good luck. Let me know about the crow.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

146.880 -600 136.5 pl, or 147.180 +600 136.5 pl, OR 146.52 sim, 147.52 sim (our IRLP node. Number 826), or on 7.294 lsb at 7pm.

Keep it simple folks. Use your "Calling Channel"

for your particular "channel". 146.52 for 2mtr Hams. What ever freq for FRS......

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

But, i agree with some of the tenents proclaimed in earlier parts of this thread "use whatever works wherever you should be and with whom you have prearranged with". I have travelled all over the West coast with 146.52 left on in the background (as well as giving a my call occasionally) and it is still very rare to hear anything other than sporadic interference and rarely other hams. From now on whenever I am caching I will monitor and give my call on one of the nat calling freqs.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif-UA

K6HTD

How come your web site link does'nt work?

Also, I am thinking of doing a 2-3 day cache expedition to Crescent City area during Thanksgiving break (approx Nov 23-30). So maybe I'll give you'all a shout while I'm up there. Starting to run out of caches down here to do. (Which of course means I have a few caches to place, and will do so soon)

-UA

It's strange that this thread just showed up (to me) yesterday. I thought it was a new thread but looking at the dates today... Anyway, nevermind.

Edited by k4cvr