How do I make a hide in a pipe...

Afterburned

So I have a 'magic wand' that is a stage of a nightcache - it has been muggled and I need to sort a new container. As it is a stage all I need to fit in is the wand - and it fits perfectly in a piece of PVC piping - using two different size pipes I think I can make a container that opens in the middle, all I need to do is seal the ends...

...and not have it look like a pipe bomb.

Suggestions anyone?

Two stout small tree limbs, one smaller in diameter than the other.

Small piece drilled to fit half or more of the wand.

Larger piece drilled to fit the smaller (with the "wand") in it.

Twist to separate. Anybody passing would see a stick.

I agree, a pipe isn't a good idea if the spots been muggled already.

So I have a 'magic wand' that is a stage of a nightcache - it has been muggled and I need to sort a new container. As it is a stage all I need to fit in is the wand - and it fits perfectly in a piece of PVC piping - using two different size pipes I think I can make a container that opens in the middle, all I need to do is seal the ends...

Suggestions anyone?

Do a google search for clear plastic tube

You'll find a bunch of different options that you might be able to use. The problem with most pipe caches is that you can't see what is inside the pipe.

Thanks for all the replies - the wand is an electronic device that displays the coords when you wave it. It is only a stage in a multi, not the cache.

I may as well share, as it makes for a great cache - just Google "Go Go Cheer Bar". It keeps its programming even without batteries, and the first one lasted a few months in the wild.

The first was in a PVC pipe with no ends and just wrapped well in a plastic bag before being put in the pipe. Pipe was (I think) painted in camo colours, and stood upright in the middle of a decaying tree stump.

The new one I want to lay down, so was hoping to seal the container better.

Am going to measure the wand tonight to see what I can get away with - I like the branch idea but no longer live near the cache so postage may be an issue there!! (a local maintains it but creating a stage is a bit much to ask)

The problem with most pipe caches is that you can't see what is inside the pipe.
But even a transparent container is no guarantee that the bomb squad won't detonate it. Shortly before I started geocaching, apparently there was a geocache detonated by a bomb squad in my city. From what I've heard, the container was a clear plastic tube decorated with pink stickers.

Put it in an ammo can or Lock N Lock container. A pipe will always be a pipe bomb even if it's painted pink. Once someone sees it and calls the cops it don't really matter if it's blue and pink pipe labelled geocache, A black unlabelled pipe with a wire in it, or a sandwich container, it will be considered a bomb. Now if it looks like a bomb you could be held responsible Be on the safe side, and don't use pipe. That way you can at least say you didn't think it could be mistaken as a bomb. Better to have your arse covered in this situation-especially since there is the wand(I'm assuming it's electronic)

Must add that I like the idea of waving a magic wand and having co-ords appear on it.

What you discribe may be mistaken for a pipe bomb or a hoax device. Ask yourself who would get in trouble if it were confused for a bomb. :blink:

Awhile back I posted something about a bomb scare that occurred in my town. When I first heard about it I wondered if a geocache was involved since I knew one existed in the area that was closed off. It turned out that the cache was not related at all, but was actually a box that someone had actually written "Bomb" onto the side. The box contained some self-penned religious and other agenda tracts. In any case, a few days ago the person responsible pleaded guilty to second-degree placing a false bomb or hazardous substance, and is facing a maximum of four years in prison. Granted, in this case, the person intentionally *did* place a false bomb, but I'd be very careful about placing any sort of container that could be determined by LEOs to be a false bomb.

Afterburned, what are the limits on text for that?

I see it stores up to 8 messages.

How many characters per message will it allow?

Back on topic:

If you feel you must use a pipe, (I hope you reconsider), there is a camaflauge method which may be helpful.

Purchase a pipe just barely large enough so your wand fits inside. the human eye is geared toward seeing straight lines, so you might consider buying your pipe long enough that you can put a couple simple, slight bends in it. Lightly sand the whole thing, and glue on one end cap. Apply Liquid Nails Roof Repair caulk to the pipe, and the remaining cap, about a 16th of an inch thick, be careful to avoid putting the caulk where it might contact the remaining cap. A gap of at least a quarter inch should be between the body of the pipe and the unglued cap. Cover the whole works with sheet moss, Spanish moss and Excellsior, a product which mimics pine needles very well. Let cure outdoors for a few days. You'll need to reapply the natural camo about every year or so.

Afterburned, what are the limits on text for that?

I see it stores up to 8 messages.

How many characters per message will it allow?

Depends on text size - it is really more displaying pictures, which you can also make yourself. I think it even does moving pics but don't quote me on that... Will check specs tonight.

Am starting to like the idea of hiding in a branch, just got to get it there!

Clan Riffster - 32x128 pixels of text, picture, whatever!

No moving pics but you can set the time between each to make the 8 pics look like they are moving.

Measures 300mm long by 33mm at widest end (too large for 32mm pipe anyway!)

Just out of curiosity, but would it fit inside a broom handle? You could take the cache up a notch by making a plywood silhouette of a witch on a real broom stick and hang it from a tree branch. Cut about 2" off the end of the broom stick, drill a hole into the end of remaining piece large enough to hold the want, then fashion a cork to the 2" piece to plug the hole. Of course, to complete the theme you could get a plastic cauldron that could hole an ammo can or lock-n-lock for the final.

Thanks for all the replies - the wand is an electronic device that displays the coords when you wave it. It is only a stage in a multi, not the cache.

I may as well share, as it makes for a great cache - just Google "Go Go Cheer Bar". It keeps its programming even without batteries, and the first one lasted a few months in the wild.

The first was in a PVC pipe with no ends and just wrapped well in a plastic bag before being put in the pipe. Pipe was (I think) painted in camo colours, and stood upright in the middle of a decaying tree stump.

The new one I want to lay down, so was hoping to seal the container better.

Am going to measure the wand tonight to see what I can get away with - I like the branch idea but no longer live near the cache so postage may be an issue there!! (a local maintains it but creating a stage is a bit much to ask)

the only idea i have is to get one of those little solar lights on the stick kind of thing. and camo it that way you can stand it up and make it look like a plant. (there is on in the pictures in the cool cache containers thread, not sure what page though)

EDIT: just looked, its on page 102 about halfway down.

Edited by sparklefingers

Suggestions anyone?

I agree with A-Team. No getting around it. Consider that anybody who accidentally finds it might think bomb. Well, hide it well????? As for Geocachers, antything could be a bomb. The PVC pipes strapped to a tree that require water to get the cache out look like what???

Suggestions anyone?

Stencil on the following message in bold yellow letters: Attention - this is NOT a pipe bomb. It is an official geocache.

Suggestions anyone?

Stencil on the following message in bold yellow letters: Attention - this is NOT a pipe bomb. It is an official geocache.

That's funny. Is that how real terrorists do ii and the police say "Oh, must not be a bomb so forget about it."?