Google Earth tools..

foxtrot_xray

Hey all -

For those that use my Google Earth overlays/tools for NGS stations and USGS Topo map overlay, I'm letting ya'll know that the services may be up and down over the next couple weeks. Down time shouldn't be long (consecutively) so if you want 30 minutes or so and try again, it'll likely be back.

The scripts, server, and processing are getting moved to a new server, one I have more control over and is faster. Once the transition is complete, you will need to get a new KMZ file from my website (not yet, it's not posted...)

The data behind the scenes will be updated to Jan/Feb of this year (currently it's all dated from March of 2010) and with the new server, I'll be able to update it more frequently.

Eventually - PERHAPS when the new server goes live - there will be an additional option, where you can view stations straight from the NGS database (always live data..). If it's not ready this month, it'll be ready soon.

Cheers all -

Mike.

Hey All -

An update.. It looks like MS finally took their old TerraServer (MSRMaps) offline. Not bad, considering it was supposed to go down almost two years ago.

I'm working on a fix, may be a couple days, but you won't need to re-download anything - all I have to do is update my server to point to a new USGS server, and we'll be good. :ph34r:

Mike,

Just wanted you to know I really appreciate all your efforts towards benchmarking--GE and Benchmap are both terrific products and I have used both and will continue to use both as long as they exist (and I can walk!). I know you did them because you wanted to use them, and like all programmers you wanted the challenge, but they are great!

I use GE Tools a lot - the quality of the USGS Topo overlays at Google Earth Library is so good, I went ahead and purchased a few. Check it out, they have a couple of freebies to try out.

Interesting. I downloaded his trial. Obviously, the benefit is that no internet is necessary, as you have all the files on your PC. The downside is that they're dated - not even the newest Topo version (before USTopo).

Mike,

Just wanted you to know I really appreciate all your efforts towards benchmarking--GE and Benchmap are both terrific products and I have used both and will continue to use both as long as they exist (and I can walk!). I know you did them because you wanted to use them, and like all programmers you wanted the challenge, but they are great!

I still use mine a lot - I love maps. :) There's something odd about the USGS server though - at some specific zooms, the images is offset. I've determined it's not anything I'm doing - the WMS is cutting the images wrong. I'm going to try and see if I can adjust what I'm asking for to avoid this. It bugs me. :)

Whohoo, an update!

FINALLY got in touch with the powers-that-be at the new hosting site for the Topo map imagery. We got it worked out. I'm currently working on getting the GE imagery back up. your current KML will work fine - however, I'm adding a layer to to show the 'new' "US Topo" maps from the USGS. To view these, if you want, you will need to download the new KML. (It's not up yet, so hold on there..)

I have it mostly working, but GE is giving me a strange scaling issue which I haven't had before. Once I clear that up, I will update the KML and let everyone know.

Then, I will put a patch in place to my BenchMap app.

Hey guys -

Long necro-thread, but I thought this was important enough to post:

The Earth KML uses my server and my copy of the database, to help speed up querying of the stations. Up until now, there was no regular updates performed on the DB - it happened once a year at *most*.

However, starting earlier this fall, the DB is now getting updated monthly, whenever a new state archive is produced by the NGS. So, you'll now be looking at pretty-much live data.

To top it off, the USGS topo overlay WILL be returning, though it WILL require a new KML to be downloaded.

I will post here once that's ready.