Recomendations for Galaxy S3

Hi,

I would like peoples views on andriod apps, specificaly with the s3 in mind. I will be using my phone in other countries where I will not be paying for data roaming, so will only have internet at the start and finish if that makes sense. I am prepared to spend a little while downloading maps of the area I will be in. I will however still have my old basic garmin with me as back-up!

This will be my first foray into app caching, or even going off a map to cache, so please be basic with me!!

Thanks

You've got the Garmin, but the SIII will give gps readouts also. Don't need an app, just a widget to display what the phone already knows. I like GPS Widget Pro. For multi-feature compass on the phone, try Field Compass Plus - cool display, and can toggle to night-vision-red.

With stuff like this, I happily pay $2 for the pro version. Avoids hassle, ads, & encourages development.

Edited by wmpastor

You've got the Garmin, but the SIII will give gps readouts also. Don't need an app, just a widget to display what the phone already knows. I like GPS Widget Pro. For multi-feature compass on the phone, try Field Compass Plus - cool display, and can toggle to night-vision-red.

With stuff like this, I happily pay $2 for the pro version. Avoids hassle, ads, & encourages development.

Thanks for the advice, I am after a more sophisticated app really, one that combines mapping, which my GPS doesnt do, and one that can search for caches near by etc!

Guess I will start on the ones with a 1 month free trial, and see what happens!

Paul

Thanks for the advice, I am after a more sophisticated app really, one that combines mapping, which my GPS doesnt do, and one that can search for caches near by etc!

Guess I will start on the ones with a 1 month free trial, and see what happens!

Paul

On my Samsung Skyrocket HD I use NeonGeo. It is quite slick. And for your data issues, it is able to cache both geocach data and maps. It comes setup for a few different map providers, but you can fairly easyly add more.

Edit to clarify, the caches and maps can be downloaded via wifi, then used later with no data connection. This is good for either roaming costs, or out of data coverage caching.

Note that the app will try to get the dat. You can set it to not use data in the settings menue (Online - Set network online/ offline)

Edited by Andronicus

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace and am using Cgeo. Works well but not as well as my Garmin. Does anyone use the Geocaching.com app that costs $9.99? Is it worth it?

I used the Geocaching.comapp for Windows Phone 7. It was good. However, there are some features in NeonGeo that the Geocaching.com app does not have. The Geocaching.com app is more polished and profesional looking.

What I like most about NeonGeo vs. Geocaching.com app is that is can cache any web based map source. I also like the way NeonGeo does off line cacheing; it seems more integrated than how the Geocaching.com app does (using the backpack sub-function)

I recommend trying out CacheSense for Android

This is, hands down, my choice.

I've used c:geo, NeonGeo, the official GS app and CacheSense.

CacheSense has a 30 day free trial. Full feature trial. Nothing blocked out at all.

Brian

*GeoPunx*

I am always open to change. Can you elaborate on why you like CacheSense better than NeonGeo?

I just downloaded the trial and am impressed. Network speeds here at work are dismal today for some reason, so none of my apps are particularly speedy today...so I can't get a good reading on any just now. Nonetheless, when I tried NeonGeo, I didn't like the map interface...it was sluggish (when other apps at the same spot were not) and the options were much more limited than this CacheSense app. I'm going to give CacheSense a good shot to see if I'll be willing to pay for the full version. I uninstalled NeonGeo after a few days...wish I had that money back.

I downloaded CasheSense Demo for Android on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and today was the best day we've had geocaching! It would only let us "download" three caches, but we could still use the compass option to navigate to as many as we wanted, which was fine because I wasn't interested in logging finds by my phone anyway. When GPS was enabled on my phone it was DEAD ON! Got us to withing arms distance of GZ every time. We especially liked the "find nearby caches" option. There were several that we wouldn't have hunted otherwise.

obxWaMi

Edited by obxWaMi

NeonGeo is a great offline/online caching app. It's my current favorite all around. It has the best map source system in any app. I use a simple OVI offline map (created in MOBAC (Mobile Atlas Creator)) as primary and secondary is Google hybrid which takes over as I zoom closer.

People complain about maps being slow in NeonGeo. I don't see it with my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4, loads as fast as I can pan and zoom (both online maps and offline) The S3 shouldn't have a problem either.

CacheSense is really nice but it keeps GPS on all the time... If I was using BT GPS this isn't an issue, but I don't normally carry it. It's suppose to be fixed soon (developer said that a year ago...)

c:geo works it's the best of the free apps. It has a nice look and feel and loads the caches on livemap faster than any others. If you're a basic member it works great because of send2cgeo.

I've been messing around with Locus recently and it seems like it has potential, a few functions are lacking. But it could be the best offline app. It's very customizable and has a nice overall feel. Does have a higher learning curve than the others do.

If you want just one NeonGeo but I say try them all, they use the same sqlitedb for maps. You might need a tools like projection that one has and other don't. You're just limiting yourself if you pick only one.

I have tried many but always come back to the the official one, never used without data conection as I only use my phone for city caching. When planning a trip I only download PQ in one of my eXplorist, 10000 caches is a lot and always work fine.

I highly recommend CacheSense. I've used it on a BlackBerry phone, BB PlayBook, and on the Samsung Galaxy SIII. I've found over 2600 geocaches using CacheSense. The customer support is amazing, with user recommendations added on a regular basis. I really can't say enough about the customer service. The developer is very prompt, and in-tune to the needs of geocachers.

I cache predominantly with my HTC Sensation and find myself using "that free app whose name shan't be mentioned" and CacheSense. I like them both, CacheSense has a more clean feel and is official whereas "that free app whose name shan't be mentioned" is constantly under development and has great support on Facebook. Both I use but "that free app whose name shan't be mentioned" edges just since it is free and It's storing cache function I prefer. Either import PQs or store the cache from the page.

NeonGeo was my first paid caching app (bought May 2012) and I was happy with it for quite a while, but there was a feature that I needed (which I can't recall what it was now) that it did not support at the time.

At the time (Oct 2012) further Development of the app was on hold (still is....currently 8 months since the last update), I looked around for something else and found CacheSense for Android.

Hello

First time poster - please be merciful :-)

I've been looking for an app that will "sync" a list of caches to visit from the website to the phone app. At the moment, I will go through a specific area on the website, looking for caches, then "Save" those caches on my phone (so the icon is different). This has the end result of me sitting at my laptop, working on the website, while holding my phone, trying to get them to place nice side-by-side!

I have been putting some caches in a Bookmark list, but C:Geo doesn't seem to know about bookmarks from the website. Does the "official" app know about bookmark lists?

Is there a better way to solve this problem?

Thanks!