Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

missing category: stock exchange

34 posts in this topic

Maybe I just couldn't find it in the 1060+ category grid. But isn't there a place to put in the several stock exchange locations? They can be found all over the world. There are not too many of them in every country but there is a large number of them out there.

Or does anyone know a category to post them?

Here is a list

We could think about an category for them. Often the history is intersting!

Many of them would also be the corporate headquarters for the company that runs the exchange thus could go into that category. Though they are all over the world there are only a few in any country and many countries have only one thus really a limited pool for most people. Could add in historic exchange locations to gain a few more potential waymarks.

So I see there's no category already existing. OK.

Don't know if we should create one or not. Maybe the number is too limited for a category - even it is global.

If we would do. We should take a reference list for locations that will count. Maybe the one from wikipedia. Or is there a more 'official' one out there?

With the uprising of electronic trade and globalization many stock exchanges have merged and now concentrate on a few locations, but it the 19th and early 20th century almost every city had its own stock exchange. There are hundreds of them and they are usually very impressive buildings because they were meant to represent the wealth and taste of a community. This is also a reason that most of them still exist and have been converted to other uses. (Almost any German city has an "alte Börse" as an example.)

Stock exchanges would be a too limited category, but Former and Current Stock Exchanges would be great, I think.

Former and Current Stock Exchanges sounds good.

But how can we proof? Espacially the former locations?

There are a lot of resources and no single list will be complete; so let us the submitter decide which documentation serves a given location best. I would suggest either a URL (Wikipedia, local history site, documentation on the site of the current owner...) or the picture of a plaque on site should be mandatory.

There are a lot of resources and no single list will be complete; so let us the submitter decide which documentation serves a given location best. I would suggest either a URL (Wikipedia, local history site, documentation on the site of the current owner...) or the picture of a plaque on site should be mandatory.

OK, this could work. It's done this way in several other categories.

Any other thoughts?

Which variables would we need?

• name ?
  • adress ?
  • url ?
  • active ?
  • country ?

Good choice, for the address a multi-line text box is better than the predefined address type, the latter does not fit well the address structure of many countries.

Maybe additional activity period (from - until).

I prefer to keep the number of variables low - only the obvious ones - and concentrate on the clear instructions for the long description and pictures.

I agree with BruceS on this -- that there the pool of potential waymarks is too limited, although certainly globally distributed. I would be surprised to see more than ten or twenty waymarks actually appear. And, as also pointed out, most of these could probably be placed in other existing categories. How many of these would have a single building, and how many would just be some offices in a larger building?

I agree with BruceS on this -- that there the pool of potential waymarks is too limited, although certainly globally distributed. I would be surprised to see more than ten or twenty waymarks actually appear. And, as also pointed out, most of these could probably be placed in other existing categories. How many of these would have a single building, and how many would just be some offices in a larger building?

We all agree with that when it comes to current locations. I guess there are about 300 worldwide, and a lot of them are in countries no waymarker has ever been to. This is most probably not enough.

I don't know the situation in America and Asia, but in Europe almost every city has at least one former exchange. All I have ever seen are truly representative historic stand alone buildings that usually do not fit into other categories, except accidentally (one I have posted as a F.M. radio station that is currently located there, another one I know had a Starbucks in the ground floor for a while, some of them are maybe on their national or regional heritage site list; this sort of "can be posted to another categories" is absolutely not what is covered with the redundancy criterion).

Former exchange site are much more interesting as current locations from an architectural and historical point of view, and there are much more of them. With this in the focus, this can be a very good category. Of course, it will never beat McD by numbers, but who does want that?

Just another point: most people just say "stock exchange", but in fact this term is only a sub set of exchanges. There are other organized markets (exchanges) for commodities, currencies etc. I do not see any reason to exclude them; it's about tradable goods, not only stocks and bonds.

Would you be willing to add commodity exchanges as well? Cotton Exchanges, Grain Exchanges, Livestock Exchanges -- there are lots of exchange buildings that are not limited to paper shares and stock.

If you would add these other kinds of exchanges, it would broaden the category, increase possible waymarks, and not dilute the cool-building category you are looking for. If I (Mama Blaster) knew how to, I would upload some pix of the Fort Worth Livestock Exchange builing, the FW Cotton Exchange, etc.

If this category is developed and broadened to include commodities exchanges, we will add those waymarks gladly! :)

I already had proposed to extend it to all sorts of exchanges in my last post andthese great examples show exactly what I was thinking of.

What's he weirdest commodity exchange out there? Hmmm -- sounds like a fun thing to sniff around on while taking my mom to the doctor.

Who knows what unusual things might move in commerce via an exchange. I'd Ike to see if there is a cheese exchange. I' ve got some wine to trade for some cheese -- ha ha

And here's some corn for the corn exchange -- take my wife, PLEASE!! (no wait, that's ME!!) :0

What's he weirdest commodity exchange out there?

I always find when I hear the price of the exchange price for pork bellies to be bit funny.

Who knows what unusual things might move in commerce via an exchange. I'd Ike to see if there is a cheese exchange. I' ve got some wine to trade for some cheese -- ha ha 

There are huge cheese trading places. I think the largest one is in Alkmaar, Netherlands. But these are more of an auction type that we are not looking for here, they already have their category.

What's he weirdest commodity exchange out there?

I always find when I hear the price of the exchange price for pork bellies to be bit funny.

Us too -- but being from Texas, with all this menudo around, we are mystified as to why cow bellies are NOT honored with an exchange of their own. After all, there are FOUR cow stomachs for every ONE pork belly -- and cow bellies are above ground, not wallowing in mud.

After much thoughtful consideration, Blasterz have come to the inescapable conclusion that the lack of an exchange for cow bellies is SPECIST and GUSTATORIALLY DISCRIMINATORY, and MUST BE STOPPED!!!

Who will join this just and honorable cause to shine light on ugly, ritualized, systemic disrespect to a vital part of our iconic American beef cattle's very bodies? After all, without cow bellies, no cow eats -- if no cow eats, then no cow gets marbled with fat. Our hamburgers and ribeyes are in peril -- PERIL, I say!!

Who will see this lack of a cow belly exchange as what it is: an ASSAULT on our HAMBURGERS -- and, I dare say, our COUNTRY!! Call Bill O'Reilly!! Get Hannity on the phone! Let's get this movement -- well, MOO-VING!!

Get the protest signs and bullhorns out -- we're going to City Hall, and our local Primary Purveyors of Pig Parts (in this part of Texas, that means barbecue rib joints - yum :anibad:

"Cows have bellies too"

"No Respect, No Menudo!"

"From Our Bellies to Yours"

"I'm a MADD COW (MOO-ving Against Digestive-organ Discrimination)"

"No Sacred Pigs"

Lots more where those came from! :lol:

It'll be a mooovement that EVERYONE can support (except those snooty porkers over there, corruptly snuggling up to the buyers of their bellies in THEIR exchange, rolling in cash). <_<

I can feel the traction and momentum of our casue building. It's going to change the world, one store at a time. :)

Our proud beef tripe will no longer be relegated to that little corner hard up against the butcher's station, under the "Clearanced and Variety Meats" banner. I cans ee the day when "Fresh COW BELLIES on sale -- TODAY ONLY!" will be emblazioned on supermarket walls, and "Cow Bellies with Avocado Foam, Blood-Orange and Pomegrante Reduction, and Parsley Smear" will be an impossibly-small Chef Special Creation on the Exclusive Tasting Menu at fine-dining restaurants in the world-capitals of cuisine.

Bobby Flay will advise his TV-land watchers to substitute pork belly for cow belly in recipes, although that will alter the flavor and complexity of the dish. Cow bellies will be respected by all.

All will FINALLY be equal in the world of livestock stomachs, and we can go on to the next crusade --

And then Daddy Blaster said . . . go ahead, but be ready to say goodbye to the free tripe pickles at Restaurante Tupinamba. :unsure:

:(:huh::blink::o !!!

On second thought, -- maybe we should shut up about all this? After all, pork bellies are a pricy expensive snooty gourmet Top-Chef kind of thing. If that happened to menudo, millions of hangover sufferers and Chile-heads would come HUNT US DOWN when the cost of a weekly bowl of menudo hit $48.50.

To quote that great community organizer and justice crusader Emily Litella: "Never mind." :lol:

Back on topic:

Here are some cool wierd exchanges:

The East Indian Jute and Hessian Exchange: http://www.commodityonline.com/commodity-exchanges/indian-commodity-exchanges/10/The-East-India-Jute--Hessian-Exchange-Ltd.html

The Cottin Yarn Exchange: http://www.commodityonline.com/commodities/fibers/cottonyarn.php

and the Indian Spice and Pepper Exchange: http://www.unctadxi.org/Templates/OrganizationalProfile____1136.aspx

Those seem to be on one track -- I think I'm in the mood for a nice Madras curry for lunch. :lol:

After some research I came to the conclusion that this could be a nice category with some great locations. I discussed this with Tante.Hossi; he does not want to to start a category, so I take over.

I am looking for some experienced officers. If there is enough support we can start working on the proposal.

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=dc17fc90-be1b-4419-b36d-ce47a7de29c3

Yes! Sounds good!

You did a good job with the category description. I think everything is clear. The included pictures are good and can be replaced by some others when the first Waymarks have been published.

I found two spelling errors. One in the quick description: there's a missing n at the an.

And at one sentence of the long description the word the is repeated twice.

So I think this category could run ...

After some research I came to the conclusion that this could be a nice category with some great locations. I discussed this with Tante.Hossi; he does not want to to start a category, so I take over.

I am looking for some experienced officers. If there is enough support we can start working on the proposal.

http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=dc17fc90-be1b-4419-b36d-ce47a7de29c3

I'm interested.

I've joined the group!

We voted Y E S -- good luck! I think it is looking very positive for passage :)

The vote is still going well for the category. But there are some reservations regarding prevalence that only make sense when thinking of STOCK exchanges.

I had the impression that it was expressed clearly enough that all types of exchanges are included, and I think commodities exchanges will probably make the majority of the submissions. Maybe this term is not common enough. I will have to add some explanations and examples to this paragraph when the vote is over.

The vote is still going well for the category. But there are some reservations regarding prevalence that only make sense when thinking of STOCK exchanges.

I had the impression that it was expressed clearly enough that all types of exchanges are included, and I think commodities exchanges will probably make the majority of the submissions. Maybe this term is not common enough. I will have to add some explanations and examples to this paragraph when the vote is over.

I had a quick look for exchanges & commodity houses in Australia & there are a few. The latter seem to be co-located with the ASX or occupy nondescript offices on a floor of a tall building in a capital city. My interest was more aligned with the history of exchanges & gold mining. There are some beautiful old former exchanges in places like Bendigo, Ballarat, Kalgoorlie & Charters Towers.

A suggestion on the wording.

You state: With the uprising of industrialization and mass transportation in the early 19th century exchanges boomed all over the world.

An uprising is an insurrection or a revolt.

Suggest: With industrialization and mass transportation in the early 19th century exchanges boomed all over the world.

Verdict? Did the category pass peer review? It was looking a little close there for a bit --

Patience! The next step usually takes a couple of days. Someone at Groundspeak will check the votes and approve the category if it has passed; then I can activate it.

In my experience anonymous votes have a tendency to be slightly more negative than the public ones, but their number is not large enough to change the expected result. So I am confident.

Very good - but I have NO PATIENCE in that awful time when the polls have closed and the votes are being counted. That time is THE WORST torture - the suspense kills me!! Ha ha ha

The category has already been checked. It's active now. I am surprised; this was quick!