An overused hiding spot.

Gizzygo

I have come across a certain hiding place in Southern California for caches about 10 times. Have you ever come across ground zero, and thought This is just a parking lot. Then you soon realize, the bottom of some light posts can come up around the pole. Upon lifting the casing, you can see the cache. Sitting there. As if it doesn't know what it did wrong.

I am so tired of going around, looking for a nice cache to find and all I find are these types of hides. I don't get it. Can't city dwelling geocachers be slightly more creative? Funny story, me and a friend stopped at a local grocery store, and parked next to a light. I got out and thought ha, what if there was a cache under here? I lifted the bottom cover, just for fun. Guess what was under there.. An old altoids container, with a log, and a few little things. I checked my geocaching app to see if I could list it as a find, and it wasn't even listed.

What are some hides (maybe even this one) that drive you crazy? Have you ever come across this type of hide, and if so, how many times?

The first two or three were clever.

I DNFed the first one twice before figuring out what was going on.

The more recent several hundred were not quite so much fun.

After a while you just get numb to them...it's an easy find and nothing more.

Lots of folks try to filter them out or refuse to actually log them once they see where they are headed.

They do tend to make you appreciate a more creative hide when you finally go to one.

LPCs are quite handy if you need to find a cache on a specific date and have very limited time to do so. When I was filling in the "days found" grid, I saved a few just for that purpose. It paid off as one of the days it was snowing, I had way too much to do at work, so stopped by on the way to work. Other than that, they are only good for ratcheting up the "found" count.

A fake bolt hide is one that's been done too often. First couple were cool, but then it got very uncreative. The tiny scroll usually crushed into the 1/4" hole is no fun to deal with.

One kind of cache that gets done a lot but I haven't grown tired of, is the bird house. Maybe because they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and some people are inventive when it comes to opening them. And I've never found one in a parking lot. Don't like to see them nailed into trees but around here most people honor the guidelines and strap them onto or hang them from a post or a tree.

Edited by L0ne R

A cache in a stump does get old after awhile, even its an ammo can. I find LPC more "fun" because its a game of trying to keep the muggles from seeing you. :laughing:

Yeah, but at least you had some interesting scenery along the way. I can't say the same for an LPC.

I disagree, its not always the case, alot of time there is trash everywhere around the stump. You call that interesting scenery?

A cache in a stump does get old after awhile, even its an ammo can. I find LPC more "fun" because its a game of trying to keep the muggles from seeing you. :laughing:

Yeah, but at least you had some interesting scenery along the way. I can't say the same for an LPC.

I disagree, its not always the case, alot of time there is trash everywhere around the stump. You call that interesting scenery?

No kidding. I'm tired of all these ammocan caches are awesome threads.

>but at least you had some interesting scenery along the way. I can't say the same for an LPC.

then you should complain to the people who design your city ??

we love to get out and see all parts of the city we visit,

we see the caches as POI where we can see something, it dont matter much what it is,

we are clever and can find the fun or interesting thing in most things.

To us the cache it self dont matter so much, clearly we like creative cool funny hides more,

we dont HATE LPC, just love them a little less..

when you people go arround and dislike alot and even hate to find caches

it is time to move on.. find a way to filter out better, or find another hobby,

or disable all your own LPC and create alot better things you like more,

and encurage all your local friends to do the same.

also in your find it log, you should kindly and friendly say what you think

so others know what to expect, and the CO knows if he did a good or bad cache.

I was over in the USA for work and did my first LPC in a few shopping mall car parks, so NOW I know what you-all are talking about! I have to agree that whilst on the surface sure they might seem not very exciting, but I look at the positive, they DO a few things:

They bring you to a different part of town.

They might take you down to a different part of the car park that you might not ordinarily go to (don't we all try and park as close to the mall as possible?) and there just might be something interesting down there that we, in our shopping frenzy/frustration, might have otherwise missed (in one example, we found a really cool tent with Xmas toys in it, at the far end of a shopping mall car park! There was no way we would have found this without either local knowledge or this geocache).

They give the non shopping-fanatic geocaching partner something to do when the other one goes in to do the shopping!

They do help you to rack up the numbers when you are on a numbers run or when you need to find a cache a day!

They are fun for the people who have never seen an LPC before! We are out there!

They are great to introduce your muggle workmates to Geocaching (if you saw a car driving on the wrong side of the road going through a car park a few months ago...sorry about that....it was us Aussies, looking for a cache and momentarily forgetting what side of the road to be on....)

Edited by jmandea on patrol

What are some hides (maybe even this one) that drive you crazy? Have you ever come across this type of hide, and if so, how many times?

You can think of Lamp Post Caches as annoying and repetitive if you want, but I just see them as easy finds. Some caches are very easy to find, and some aren't. I don't have a problem with any particular difficulty, but I'm also glad most caches aren't as easy as LPCs.

No, I really couldn't say how many LPCs I've found, but it seems like hundreds. I'd guess it's about 3% of all my finds.

A lot of geocachers don't like LPCs. I'm impartial I guess; if it comes up nearby, I'm going to try to get it regardless of the type.

The best way to combat boring caches in your city: hide better caches. If your hides are more creative, future hiders will be tempted to hide something worthwhile.

I find LPC more "fun" because its a game of trying to keep the muggles from seeing you. :laughing:

Several of us don't worry about the muggles anymore. We pull up, get out, and lift the skirt, sometimes making as much screeching noise as possible as we lift. We grab the cache sign in, and drop the skirt.

They have persmission for the hide after all, right?

I was over in the USA for work and did my first LPC in a few shopping mall car parks, so NOW I know what you-all are talking about! I have to agree that whilst on the surface sure they might seem not very exciting, but I look at the positive, they DO a few things:

They bring you to a different part of town.

They might take you down to a different part of the car park that you might not ordinarily go to (don't we all try and park as close to the mall as possible?) and there just might be something interesting down there that we, in our shopping frenzy/frustration, might have otherwise missed (in one example, we found a really cool tent with Xmas toys in it, at the far end of a shopping mall car park! There was no way we would have found this without either local knowledge or this geocache).

They give the non shopping-fanatic geocaching partner something to do when the other one goes in to do the shopping!

They do help you to rack up the numbers when you are on a numbers run or when you need to find a cache a day!

They are fun for the people who have never seen an LPC before! We are out there!

They are great to introduce your muggle workmates to Geocaching (if you saw a car driving on the wrong side of the road going through a car park a few months ago...sorry about that....it was us Aussies, looking for a cache and momentarily forgetting what side of the road to be on....)

I like this thread, because you have no idea it's an anti-LPC thread until you open it up. :lol:

I'm sure jmandea on patrol wasn't trying to be funny, but you see what I've bolded in the quoted post? That is some funny stuff there. How awesome would it be to log your next LPC with "Thank you for the cache, and bringing me to a part of the parking lot that I wouldn't have seen otherwise without the cache". I ignore all parking lot caches though, so someone else will have to take the ball and run with that one. B)

A lot of geocachers don't like LPCs. I'm impartial I guess; if it comes up nearby, I'm going to try to get it regardless of the type.

The best way to combat boring caches in your city: hide better caches. If your hides are more creative, future hiders will be tempted to hide something worthwhile.

I agree about hiding better caches, that's always a good thing. But they don't decrease the amount of lazy parking lot LPC caches. People who don't want to invest in the game, or see the game as smiley-centric will still hide pill bottles under lamp posts. COs who hide LPCs insist they are doing the game a service by providing easy smileys.

To decrease the amount of LPCs, I would suggest not looking for them (but that's never going to happen - loads of people complain about them but can't help clearing an area).

Got to agree with the Flying Swine on both points.

A hide in a stump in a forest full of stumps is not the most fun on the planet. Rather frustrating in the middle of a redwood forest. Grrrrrrr. (Poor signal capture and hundreds of stumps)

To turn an LPC hide into a sub-game of "Muggle Avoidance" helps ease the numbing effect of another LPC.

Edited by humboldt flier

Got to agree with the Flying Swine on both points.

A hide in a stump in a forest full of stumps is not the most fun on the planet. Rather frustrating in the middle of a redwood forest. Grrrrrrr. (Poor signal capture and hundreds of stumps)

To turn an LPC hide into a sub-game of "Muggle Avoidance" helps ease the numbing effect of another LPC.

Some pictures of us having fun looking for LPCs:

23366a16-4532-481a-ad23-df915776adaf.jpg

7ec31672-dc3d-497b-8492-bf9c1946089a.jpg

3e2e3956-0b76-4fbb-95e7-64a6f71c8fb8.jpg

I'd still like to find a LPC that's at the top of the light pole requiring a ladder, extension reaching tool, or shimmying up the pole to retrieve. (Have I given anyone an idea? ;) You're welcome!) You might have a harder time getting business permission and stealth would definitely be a challenge.

I'd still like to find a LPC that's at the top of the light pole requiring a ladder, extension reaching tool, or shimmying up the pole to retrieve. (Have I given anyone an idea? ;) You're welcome!) You might have a harder time getting business permission and stealth would definitely be a challenge.

Found one or two.

DNFed one.

Owned one (although not in a 'public' parking area).

I am so tired of going around, looking for a nice cache to find and all I find are these types of hides. I don't get it. Can't city dwelling geocachers be slightly more creative?

GC2400D, the most favorited cache in the entire area is .8mi from the cache that you just archived, go find it! Take a walk down the Chandler Bikeway and stay out of the alleys behind Magnolia and you'll be fine. There are a lot of good, and just as may bad caches in your area.

I made a decision a few years ago that I was not going to crawl around looking for anymore caches in the bowels of newspaper racks. I don't miss them a bit. I'll just as soon pass up a LPC as I will stop and find one.

Stop signs. Nanos on the back of street signs. Overused.

This. That's most of the caches in our town. You get to gz look up to see the street sign walk round the back of it and take the cache from the back left corner (where it sits normally in our town) they take 2 minutes to find and you don't feel like you've found anything because you didn't have to look for it.

Edit because of typo

Edited by sparklefingers

Stop signs. Nanos on the back of street signs. Overused.

Trees. Bushes. Rock piles. Done hundreds of those.

I think the above quote about trees etc was done with a smiley face, but it does bring up a point for me.

Whether a overused technique is an issue or not depends on what kind of caches you like. I don't mind finding lots of caches in trees, stumps, bushes, etc. If it is a good container in a great location and well hidden from muggles, I'm happy. Doesn't matter if it is a hide style I've seen many times before. Sure, I'll appreciate a rural hide which also has a unique container and/or style; but I'm not disappointed by an ammo box in the hollow of a tree in a great location, ever.

I'm not a big fan of Urban caching.. but I think in the urban environment there is in many ways more scope for creative hides. You can hide things in plain site which fit in and are not noticed (easier than in the woods).

Now this is my own preference coming into play, but what I'm saying is for me - for rural hides in nice places a unique hide is a bonus, but not necessary for me to enjoy it. For an urban hide in an otherwise ordinary location, I'm not so interested in the back of a sign hide; but I'll seek out a particularly clever hide.