Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trbvideopro

Ham Radio

I am a ham radio operator also.Have been for quite some time. My call sign is KD6RHC and

geocaching is quite similar to ham radio but no

hidden transmitter. This is called T-hunting were

you go in teams and try to find a hidden

transmitter.And yes you can use a GPS unit with

ham radio also and see were other ham operators

are that use APRS.

73 kd6rhc

Happy geocaching

I just got my first gps unit for my BD.

73 again and have a grat week.

Ted Benson Jr icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Short answer. NOTHING.

However, to expand upon that... Both require an electronic device to play. Both seem to dray players that seem to go out of their way for interesting things to do. Most hams enjoy chatting on the air while geocaching. There are about 8 new geocachers in the area, because they talked to me while I was geocaching, and it sounded like I was having fun. And this is one more reason why we use regular frequencies instead of declairing an unknown geocaching channel.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Nerds and electronic toys???

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Short answer. _NOTHING._

Well, to the extent that a GPS unit is a receiver, then all Geocachers are Short Wave Listeners (SWLs) as they are using a radio receiver to receive radio signals from the satellites.

Mind you, I did wonder why the poll only had one option. HI!

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

Well, to the extent that a GPS unit is a receiver, then all Geocachers are Short Wave Listeners (SWLs) as they are using a radio receiver to receive radio signals from the satellites.

--... ...--

Morseman

I've yet to get one of those GPSr things, and now they've got audio. Will my stereo headphones work with one?

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Short answer. _NOTHING._

On the surface, maybe not. However, I see their similarity in that they both open a door to a world of fun. The amount of fun you get out of each is in proportion to how much you put into it. Both encourage exploration, trying new things, going where you've never been before, etc. I think that is why each activity seems to attract people from the other.

I was a geocacher first. Got into ham radio for a couple of reasons: 1) the interesting discussions in this forum, 2) the ability to add to my safety when I go caching alone on some of the more "interesting" hunts, 3) an interest in being an emergency resource for my community.

- waynem

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

--... ...--

Morseman

I've yet to get one of those GPSr things, and now they've got audio. Will my stereo headphones work with one?

Just because you can't plug a headphone in, doesn't stop it being a radio receiver. icon_razz.gif

I run packet and I don't like the noise of the digital signals, so I don't use an external loudspeaker. Then there's ATV, where you are receiving pictures, again you might not want to 'listen' to the resulting noises of the pictures as they are transmitted.

Originally, telegraphy was 'heard' by the tapping of a rod on the coherer (http://www.sparkmuseum.com/COHER.HTM)

So, you cound say that the sound they heard was not really the sound of the signal that you would have detected with a speaker.

A GPSr is still that, a receiver. icon_smile.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

Similarities

I like to play with my GPSr. Its another gadget that receives radio frequencies.

Hunting and finding caches can be compared to finding and completing DX QSOs of rare entities.

We hams discuss the merits of antennas, recievers, sensitivity, etc of our rigs as do GPSr owner/cachers. We test the performance in different conditions and go to special benchmarks to test accuracy of our GPSrs.

Some of us also like satellites and have made contacts through the ham sats.

As an activity, caching will give us something to do when the sunspot cycle slides downward. Besides, it is in the outdoors and you get good exercise.

See what I'm sayin' ?

Just because you can't plug a headphone in, doesn't stop it being a radio receiver. icon_razz.gif

I run packet and I don't like the noise of the digital signals, so I don't use an external loudspeaker. Then there's ATV, where you are receiving pictures, again you might not want to 'listen' to the resulting noises of the pictures as they are transmitted.

Originally, telegraphy was 'heard' by the tapping of a rod on the coherer (http://www.sparkmuseum.com/COHER.HTM)

So, you cound say that the sound they heard was not really the sound of the signal that you would have detected with a speaker.

A GPSr is still that, a receiver. icon_smile.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:

icon_eek.gif

I am a SWL and the irony of listening to a non-audio receiver is...well...ironic. I actually have no argument with the meaning of anything that you said. This is my first reply in the "new forum" mode and am curious as to how it will all play out.

quote:
Originally posted by trbjr:

I am a ham radio operator also.Have been for quite some time. My call sign is KD6RHC and

geocaching is quite similar to ham radio but no

hidden transmitter. This is called T-hunting were

you go in teams and try to find a hidden

transmitter.And yes you can use a GPS unit with

ham radio also and see were other ham operators

are that use APRS.

73 kd6rhc

Happy geocaching

I just got my first gps unit for my BD.

73 again and have a grat week.

Ted Benson Jr icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif