How often are new geocaches placed?

How often are new geocaches placed?"

This one is a little more difficult to determine, mainly because we don't have the exact data. But if I pick a cache that was hidden on 1/29, GC454PH, it's ID number is 3,436,462.

Then I look back to 12/29 and pick cache GC43F5X, or ID 3,386,935. That's a difference of 49,527 caches in 31 days, or 1,598 per day, or one every 54 seconds.

Going back a month farther, to 11/29, I find cache GC426DP, or ID 3,348,737. The weather must have been worse, because only 38,198 caches were hidden in 30 days, or 1,273 per day, or one every 68 seconds.

Of course not all of these caches were actually published, but you only asked how often they are "placed." It's probably impossible to determine how many are published with the data publicly available.

Well, I found that the number of active geocaches placed since the first geocache is about 17.5 per hour.

I don't know how you came up with that number. :unsure:

There has been 4,658 days since the first cache was placed on 5/3/2000.

One of the most recent geocaches published was GC45017, or ID 3,431,957.

That is 737 caches per day on average.

Well, I found that the number of active geocaches placed since the first geocache is about 17.5 per hour.

I might have been wrong, but I did the number of geocaches since the first one from the front page. I divided it by how many hours since the first one. Notice I am only talking about active ones, I didn't count the archived ones since you can only get active ones.

Edited by wvufan5
Notice I am only talking about active ones,

But then you have a meaningless calculation. That's like saying only 10,000 people are born every day, because there are only 7 billion people alive today, when the true number of births per day is closer to a half million.

I didn't count the archived ones since you can only get active ones.

You can indirectly, as I showed above.

And the site just updated the count of active geocaches from 1,986,208 to 1,986,180.

Looks like a few caches just got archived.

There's no way of knowing exactly which one is the 2 millionth one. Geocaches are added and archived by the dozens every second, so the 2M one is just going to sneak in there. I suppose they could kind of arbitrarily pick one, but that wouldn't really be fair, would it?

Even if 737 turned out to be the average number of new caches published on the site that number is meaningless for many places in the world. There are only 19 countries (of the 251 countries/regions GS has identified) which have more than 10,000 caches in the entire country. 210 of the 251 have fewer than 737 active caches total and might see only a handful of new caches every year.

There's no way of knowing exactly which one is the 2 millionth one. Geocaches are added and archived by the dozens every second, so the 2M one is just going to sneak in there. I suppose they could kind of arbitrarily pick one, but that wouldn't really be fair, would it?

There was never an attempt to find the one millionth geocache when that happened (though I think several people hid a cache around then deliberately hoping it'd get picked). So I doubt they will do so now.

There was never an attempt to find the one millionth geocache when that happened (though I think several people hid a cache around then deliberately hoping it'd get picked). So I doubt they will do so now.

Here is the release: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=213